Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,854 times

Advertisements

http://www.globalresearch.ca/radioac...-coast/5563722
Seriously? 5 years after the catastrophe and they still can't figure out how to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
http://www.globalresearch.ca/radioac...-coast/5563722
Seriously? 5 years after the catastrophe and they still can't figure out how to fix it?
I'm not a nuclear scientist, but I would think you can't stop radiation once it's been released.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'm not a nuclear scientist, but I would think you can't stop radiation once it's been released.
The point is, it's still BEING released.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Right, because there's no way to "pull" the radiation back into a container. From this article, it doesn't sound like it's "new" radiation. There are no signs of new spikes in levels. Looks like samples were only collected once so there's nothing to compare it to.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Chernobyl wasn't fully contained until this year and it happened 30 years ago.
Quote:
The samples from the Oregon coast measured around 0.3 becquerels per cubic meter for cesium 134. Researchers in both the US and Canada said the recently detected radiation levels were extremely low and pose “no risk to humans or the environment.†Sadly, NBC, the New York Post, USA Today, and even The Inquisitr amongst others, took the bait and reported the same thing.
Medical science and epidemiological studies have demonstrated time and again that there is no safe amount of radiation for a living organism to be subjected to — period. With each subsequent exposure, no matter how small, the subject experiences an increase in cancer risk
If you're worried about any radiation exposure, no matter how small, then you'll have to build yourself some kind of lead encased chamber, and never leave it. We are all exposed every day to radiation from a variety of sources. Any time we get a CT scan we receive more radiation than anyone outside the immediate vicinity of Fukushima has ever received as a result of that disaster.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:06 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Actually Three Mile Island was a good reason to say No to nuclear energy plants. The problem is that the radiation last many, many, many, lifetimes and can very easily shorten those lifetimes. But this 'industry' has not given up and we, in the US, are again licensing new plants.

From your original link, at the bottom, I pulled this other link: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-med...lated_articles.

As far as stopping more radioactive water from going into the ocean; I don't think it is possible. The radiation was so high, after the disaster, that even robots could not enter the facility. I also think they have to keep spraying sea water on the mass to keep it cool; otherwise it could even be a worse disaster. These melt downs are not the kind of thing that you send in workers with dustpans and a broom.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:48 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Chernobyl wasn't fully contained until this year and it happened 30 years ago.

If you're worried about any radiation exposure, no matter how small, then you'll have to build yourself some kind of lead encased chamber, and never leave it. We are all exposed every day to radiation from a variety of sources. Any time we get a CT scan we receive more radiation than anyone outside the immediate vicinity of Fukushima has ever received as a result of that disaster.
My doctor keeps account of the amount of exposure I get.

How about those who are downstream from a nuclear power plant meltdown?

Old 12-24-2016, 06:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Maybe it will help the West coast problems....

Old 12-24-2016, 06:21 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My doctor keeps account of the amount of exposure I get.

How about those who are downstream from a nuclear power plant meltdown?
I live about 100 miles downwind of Three Mile Island. NYC is only about 160 miles, as the crow flies, away from Three Mile Island. Japan's nuclear power plant is about 5,000 miles from our West Coast - to put this in perspective. Three Mile Island could have been much worse.

I just don't like the crowd that claims nuclear power is 'green' power. Nobody wants to store the waste in their backyard. If there is a major accident we could have significant, large, areas of our Country uninhabitable for thousands of years. Besides; nothing is infallible. We design these reactors to last 20, 30, or 50 years; but the lingering radioactivity will last thousands. Wars, disease, natural disasters can breach our safety measures and lead to another or many 'problem/s' like Fukushima.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:51 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
My brother used to like fishing by Three Mile Island. It was very close to his house.

All who think nuclear is the way to go have not thought it through, or they are in denial regarding the risks.

Especially the ones who want to store the spent fuel in cave on a fault line in Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies