Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

From some old book:

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Gay marriage does not destroy families. Divorce does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 03:39 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
In other words, Anne Boleyn really should have known better and not lost her head.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:44 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Cheating on your spouse. Abusing her/him. ... Lots of things destroy the sanctity of marriage. Divorce just recognizes that it is over.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:49 PM

979 posts, read 490,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cheating on your spouse. Abusing her/him. ... Lots of things destroy the sanctity of marriage. Divorce just recognizes that it is over.
Exactly, one shouldn't be upset about divorce, one should be upset with what causes divorce, that is what ruins the sanctity of marriage.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:50 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
The leading cause of divorce is marriage.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:54 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Depends. If you're religious and believe in the sanctity of marriage, then the answer is no. Better and worse, sickness and in health.

That's the contrast between divorce and annulment. Divorce is a civil procedure that has nothing to do with religion. Grounds for annulment, however, are more stringent. Adultery is in most cases not a grounds for annulment. My neighbor, for example, cohabited with her second husband for over a decade. First husband was abusive to her and to the kids which spiraled out of control. Eventually he got himself locked up but it wasn't until he drank himself to death that she was able to remarry according to the church.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:01 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends. If you're religious and believe in the sanctity of marriage, then the answer is no. Better and worse, sickness and in health.

That's the contrast between divorce and annulment. Divorce is a civil procedure that has nothing to do with religion. Grounds for annulment, however, are more stringent. Adultery is in most cases not a grounds for annulment.
You can still have the sanctity of marriage through good times and bad, through sickness and in health.

Doesn't mention abuse, neglect, cheating... these destroy the sanctity of marriage whether there is a divorce or not.

That annulment in your church doesn't take into account adultery is unfortunate since an annulled marriage is a recognition that the marriage was not valid and I fully consider if my spouse is sleeping with someone one else, our marriage is no longer valid.

However, if he started sleeping with someone else, annulment would be the least of his worries.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:25 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
You can still have the sanctity of marriage through good times and bad, through sickness and in health.

Doesn't mention abuse, neglect, cheating... these destroy the sanctity of marriage whether there is a divorce or not.

That annulment in your church doesn't take into account adultery is unfortunate since an annulled marriage is a recognition that the marriage was not valid and I fully consider if my spouse is sleeping with someone one else, our marriage is no longer valid.

However, if he started sleeping with someone else, annulment would be the least of his worries.

Catholic church rather. I'm not Catholic or even religious. But yes, adultery, neglect, and abandonment are not grounds for annulment. Catching your spouse sexually abusing your child is not grounds for annulment. Protestants don't believe in marriage as a sacrament to begin with so the "sanctity of marriage" has much less meaning. Protestants don't have annulments as, well, marriage isn't a sacrament to them. Not sure what you or your husband are anyway. Annulment would never be a concern for me as I'm not Catholic so it wouldn't happen.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:51 PM

435 posts, read 430,388 times
Whenever I get annoyed with my spouse, I remind myself that kids from broken homes are:

- much less likely to graduate high school
- less likely to go to college
- more likely to end up in jail long term
- at a monetary disadvantage (as money that can be pooled is being spent on multiple households)

Now, I'm not saying if you are divorced that you can't have wonderful, successful, well adjusted children. I'm just saying that statistically kids from broken homes have been shown to be at a disadvantage.

There are many other benefits of marriage. Unfortunately, it seems that the benefits of marriage are not discussed enough in our society. Now that the taboo of divorce has eroded, as a society we should at least promote the benefits more.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:55 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
The sanctity of marriage has not changed, just because we misbehave.

People do not honor the covenant to which they agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies