Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Voter ID laws are silly and a waste of time, we don't have them in Oregon, nor do we need them. Voter fraud isn't an issue here.
Voter fraud isn't an issue anywhere in the US. It has been proven time and time again in every election that the amount of voter fraud is miniscule. The only reason Republicans want voter ID is to limit the poor from voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Voter fraud isn't an issue anywhere in the US. It has been proven time and time again in every election that the amount of voter fraud is miniscule. The only reason Republicans want voter ID is to limit the poor from voting.
do you really believe that. 99.9% of the poor have driver license

Old 12-27-2016, 06:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I suggest that along with Voter ID we need a voter IQ test.
The results of this years presidential election clearly shows the need for people to prove that they have the mental ability to identify a con artist.
Based on the election results, we apparently DO.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 PM

979 posts, read 490,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so banks asking for I.D. to open accounts, take your money out, cash your checks, take out credit is a waste of time and silly?

how about employers when you apply for a job? silly also........how about when you go traveling in this country or to a foreign country? silly and waste of time.

Maybe I will tell that to the Porsche dealer when I go test drive a brand new Porsche.....just tell the dealer that I.D. are silly and a waste of time and just take my word for it on who I am and to send me the bill to where ever I tell them where I live....and social security number???? just give them any number that matches....who needs I.D.'s right?

how do you know voter fraud isn't an issue?......is there a task force on it?......do local officials know what to look for when a person votes since they ask for NO I.D. and do locals actually investigate and what data base do they go by?
Your bank's ATM requires you to show your ID every time you take money out or make any deposits?

Well since the people who investigate voter fraud haven't had any issue with it, that is how I have come to that conclusion. Voter fraud in Oregon isn't an issue, we vote by mail, and we have some of the highest voter participation in the country. But to answer your questions, yes Oregon does have a task force that investigates voter fraud in the state. Also when you go to vote in person, they don't have a catalog of pictures to match your photo ID to you. They can match your signature, which in most cases is much harder to fake. Another thing, voting in Oregon is by mail, not in person, so there is no one to look at you when you vote. They do have you sign your ballot and match the one on file, if that doesn't match, then it gets flagged and they try to reach out to you to check to see if you have voted in that election and if your signature has changed, which at that point they have you come down and vote in person and may require an ID.

Of course you are probably wondering why someone doesn't just go grab a bunch of ballots and mail them in under their family and neighbors' names, but it doesn't work that way because the state mails out each ballot to the specified address and doesn't allow people just to grab a bunch of ballots.

I hope that helps answer any questions you might have about how Oregon's voting system works and why it is so successful.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok sure, I'm going to your bank to withdrawal money from your account. If they ask me for ID I'll tell them how silly they are. Because they think like you they'll accept that answer and give me all the money in your account While I'm at it I'm going to buy a new car using your name and they won't ask me to prove I'm you, after all, asking for ID is just silly.

I'm good with that... you good?
You don't have to show your ID to use the ATM, just need to have a ATM card and know the pin number. Also, my bank never asks for ID when making a deposit when you do it in person, so be my guest and deposit as much money as you want into my account pretending to be me, I have no issues with that.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
You're being facetious, correct?

You would just get arrested? Do you seriously think people care that much that they remember ALL the voters? The people at my polls are so old I'll bet we all look like Matlock to them.

Forge their signatures correctly? Exactly what kind of a system do you envision checking the mail-in ballots? You must watch far too much CSI.

Please tell me you were kidding.
In Oregon, we vote by mail, there is no need to have a bunch of polling stations full of people from the cast of Matlock. Another reason why voting by mail is such a great way to go and why Oregon has such a high voter participation rate. As for checking mail in ballots, we have these things that are called computers that are able to store a photo of your signature and match it to the signature on the ballot to see if it is correct. In 2016, this technology is rather easy to do, and I don't see why anyone would think it would be so complicated as if it comes from a futuristic si-fi movie.

So, no, I am not kidding.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Fail.

Even poor people have to show ID for lots of things like cashing a check, buying booze, and so on. If a "poor" person doesn't have ID; that person's hiding something IMHO.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:26 PM

638 posts, read 310,390 times
Quote:
Your bank's ATM requires you to show your ID every time you take money out or make any deposits?
No, but his bank's ATM requires a pin number. If you can figure out a way to tie voting to a card and a pin let us know. Until then just showing an ID would satisfy most of us.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
I'm not sure why we need another law-

I thought all the Trumpies were against more laws (or only the ones they approve of? hmmm)-

democrat, 24 year CA resident over here-
O and btw, no problem showing my ID to vote, all 24 of those years..

Old 12-27-2016, 09:49 PM

638 posts, read 310,390 times
Quote:
In Oregon, we vote by mail, there is no need to have a bunch of polling stations full of people from the cast of Matlock. Another reason why voting by mail is such a great way to go and why Oregon has such a high voter participation rate. As for checking mail in ballots, we have these things that are called computers that are able to store a photo of your signature and match it to the signature on the ballot to see if it is correct. In 2016, this technology is rather easy to do, and I don't see why anyone would think it would be so complicated as if it comes from a futuristic si-fi movie.

So, no, I am not kidding.
We also have these things called states. 49 others. Ever get a look at how they handle voting? An ID card requirement would be faster, more cost effective, and again, even more secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies