Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not {"completely"} but perhaps by instance.

Re-entering the United States by Air

Since 9/11, Americans have been required to present photo identification when checking in at ticket counters and before passing through security. When returning to the United States from Mexico, travelers must clear a customs interview. To do so, travelers older than 16 must present a valid passport booklet or card, or an enhanced driver's license. Enhanced driver's licenses, or e-licenses, carry radio frequency chips that cannot be forged. Such a chip registers a signal with customs computers and immediately identifies an individual. Children 15 and under can re-enter the country with a passport card or booklet, or a certified birth certificate.

Mexico and Canada are the two exemptions allowing for proof of citizenship by Americans to be another verifiable document. For a brief time however, around 2005, a passport was required.

So "having their jewels jangled" was meant to be a reference to requiring a passport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,709 times
Showing ID is meaningless anyway. Who cares who you are.

If the person is screened properly, then it does not matter who is sitting next to you as they have been screened for explosives etc. and approved to fly. All this does is confirm the TSA is useless when it comes to screening and uses a smokescreen layer of matching names to boarding passes to give the illusion of security.

They are an incredible joke and should be disbanded.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is the Real ID Law, tacked onto a military spending bill by its author, and passed in 2005.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Interesting that the Act was introduced by a Republican Rep overheard insulting Michelle Obama because she is in favor of healthy food. His legacy appears to be much more Draconian.

Also interesting is the long title of the Act:

"...An Act to establish and rapidly implement regulations for State driver's license and identification document security standards, to prevent terrorists from abusing the asylum laws of the United States, to unify terrorism-related grounds for inadmissibility and removal, and to ensure expeditious construction of the San Diego border fence...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well that highlights the fact you disagree with the premise of "the world is your oyster" . You obviously haven't been out of your own country, because you'd damn sure need a passport to GET BACK IN!
No clue what you are trying to say here...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 PM

42 posts, read 75,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Passports are currently about $115 for the initial one. Renewals are $110.
Mine ran me about $130 because I let them take my picture at the office, and I opted for the old fashioned Book, no Card nonsense.

If I'm flying, I'll just whip out my Passport. Won't have as much luck when a nice LEO asks me for my license...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One of the 'acceptable' ID's was for transportation workers. I wonder if my PA issued CDL is an acceptable form of ID? We have to go through the TSA approval process for a fee.
Is that the TWIC you use to get into ports? I think this is what it refers to.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
I have not read all replies...someone may have mentioned it...but what about having to board another plane in a state other than the one you departed from?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I have not read all replies...someone may have mentioned it...but what about having to board another plane in a state other than the one you departed from?
That doesn't matter. Its all about the ID.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So "having their jewels jangled" was meant to be a reference to requiring a passport?
Naah, that was an add-on and TSA specialty brought to you by reactionary American fear.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:37 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
I think I have what is called an Enhanced Driver's License in Florida. When I went to renew my license, I showed them my Passport as ID. I have a big Gold Star at the right top of it. My husband only showed his BC and doesn't have that star.

When I fly, I go on a special security line and don't have to take off my shoes, jacket, etc. This line is very short and quick. One time the flight crew was right in front of me in line.

Yes, I suppose a US Passport is probably the best ID you can have, including for showing ID for Driver's License,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies