Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't base my understanding of the constitution and American History on political speeches. Tell me how you think the first amendment works.

The opposite of how you think it works, evidently. The 1st Amendment PREVENTS people from needing to abandon their religious beliefs. There is lots and lots of legal precedent for this. It's also why politicians are allowed to constantly reference their faith when they speak, too.

Some relevant cases are Goldman v. Weinberger and Sherbert v. Verner. I'm certain there are others, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
fitness I can see-if it impedes them- but they do great work- and still take a bullet for you- so S-UP -- I see tats- beards- longer hair- weaves- as long as work is done- NONA
I don't think anybody show disrespect towards the sikh officers here. It is really not the point.

I went to a Catholic school in a foreign country when I was a kid. The way I see it? well,

School uniforms could save a lot of teens from the hassle of fitting in, having popular or trendy clothes, and (especially for most girls) spending much time on picking their outfit. So uniform has a purpose. Hindsight being 20/20, even though I hated wearing uniform while going to school, I now realized that Uniform was just part of going to school. I'm quite glad it was enforced.

This said, I think uniform and dress code is there for a reason.

Navy, dark blue is traditional. Plain and simple. Why so? Some relate the dark blue to safety at night time. Day time didn’t matter so much because any color would be identifiable.

Sometimes, the uniform dress code has a lot to do with safety concern.

This said, I don't really have any problems with religious turbans or beards. But you really don't want to open a can of worms. I think keep it simple is the best approach. Just my opinion anyway.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
All this talk about "one uniform rule to ALL" and yet there are allowances made EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Is a female uniform exactly the same as a male uniform?

Women could have always just as easily worn pants with their dress uniforms, for example, and yet...
All female uniforms are the same. All male uniforms are the same.

So still don't know what your point is.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
All female uniforms are the same. All male uniforms are the same.

So still don't know what your point is.

All Sikh uniforms are the same. All Jewish uniforms are the same. So, I still don't know what your point is.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
All Sikh uniforms are the same. All Jewish uniforms are the same. So, I still don't know what your point is.

well, the male sikh wears the male uniform. That is the point. Dress code is not a violation of one's religious practice. That is the point.

talking about fake outrage

Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I don't think anybody show disrespect towards the sikh officers here. It is really not the point.

I went to a Catholic school in a foreign country when I was a kid. The way I see it? well,

School uniforms could save a lot of teens from the hassle of fitting in, having popular or trendy clothes, and (especially for most girls) spending much time on picking their outfit. So uniform has a purpose. Hindsight being 20/20, even though I hated wearing uniform while going to school, I now realized that Uniform was just part of going to school. I'm quite glad it was enforced.

This said, I think uniform and dress code is there for a reason.

Navy, dark blue is traditional. Plain and simple. Why so? Some relate the dark blue to safety at night time. Day time didn’t matter so much because any color would be identifiable.

Sometimes, the uniform dress code has a lot to do with safety concern.

This said, I don't really have any problems with religious turbans or beards. But you really don't want to open a can of worms. I think keep it simple is the best approach. Just my opinion anyway.
But a Jew can't shave his beard or cut his peyes (if Hasidic), and a Sikh can't cut his hair and lose the turban or they will no longer be who they are. If you say they have to, well, then you are in effect saying no Jews or Sikhs or whomever are allowed to be police officers.

Who gives a rat's ass what religion they are? New York City is made up of people of all religions who work and live and walk side by side every day.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
well, the male sikh wears the male uniform. That is the point. Dress code is not a violation of one's religious practice. That is the point.

talking about fake outrage

The point is that uniforms are already different. Now you're just quibbling about how many different groups there should be.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But a Jew can't shave his beard or cut his peyes (if Hasidic), and a Sikh can't cut his hair and lose the turban or they will no longer be who they are. If you say they have to, well, then you are in effect saying no Jews or Sikhs or whomever are allowed to be police officers.

Who gives a rat's ass what religion they are? Do you even live or work in NYC where you see people like this every day?

Reps!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Who gives a rat's ass what religion they are? New York City is made up of people of all religions who work and live and walk side by side every day.
well, All I am saying is dress code is there for a reason.

If you don't like it, don't join. Problem solved.

Who created the fake outrage anyway? sheesh Let's not pretend dress code is a violation of one's religious practice.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Reps!
Thanks, I edited my post because I saw that poster obviously does not live or work in NYC, as she is in CA.

I am a Christian who works for a Hasidic Jewish boss in an Orthodox neighborhood next door to a Bengali Muslim neighborhood. We have two Sikh engineers, a couple of Russian Orthodox, a Syrian Jew who looks like the mug shot of every Middle Eastern terrorist ever, an African Christian, a Jehovah's Witness...I have little patience with this sort of intolerance. People, concentrate on the FOOD of the different cultures, and all will be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies