Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What is it? 60 month plans? If you're on payments, it's usually for more than one year. Thank God I don't HAVE that expense, since I can walk anywhere I need to go. So five miles is a 90-minute walk...I can deal with that
yeah new is sixty month plan. My bike I plan to buy out right and I own the car I have out right as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't know...how many times are people going to COMPLAIN and WHINE about the price of gas??
Let's see - I have not once complained nor whined about the price of gas yet, you keep telling us all how you walk 26 miles -

LOLOLOL

Neither Rain, nor snow, nor hurricanes, nor winds, nor dark of night will stop 'ole TKramar from doing a 20 mile walk.

LOLOLOLOL

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's see - I have not once complained nor whined about the price of gas yet, you keep telling us all how you walk 26 miles -

LOLOLOL

Neither Rain, nor snow, nor hurricanes, nor winds, nor dark of night will stop 'ole TKramar from doing a 20 mile walk.

LOLOLOLOL
Scooter
Motorcycle
Bicycle

Plenty of other options to travel 20 miles.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Scooter
Motorcycle
Bicycle

The poster in question indicates he walks - that he has no other mode of transportation.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Scooter
Motorcycle
Bicycle

In many places in Asia, Europe and Middle East (Iran) scooters and motorcycles are a large part of personal transport. I am starting to see a lot more scooter riders in South Florida. When I am in Nashville and the weather is good I see TONS of motorcycle riders. I hope the trend continues.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The poster in question indicates he walks - that he has no other mode of transportation.
Agreed, but you are suggesting that he would use the same style of transportation given your situation. I don't think he professed that he would do so. I was simply suggesting that a car is not necessary in certain instances if one lives in a rural area.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Agreed, but you are suggesting that he would use the same style of transportation given your situation. I don't think he professed that he would do so. I was simply suggesting that a car is not necessary in certain instances if one lives in a rural area.
Well, perhaps.

However, a roundtrip of 20 miles to do a weeks grocery shopping on a bicycle might be a little tough.

Or, an 80 mile roundtrip to ones office on a "scooter" might also be inappropriate.

Walking that far is out

Then, there is the thing about pulling the travel trailer or boat - don't think the bike or scooter will work - do you?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps.

However, a roundtrip of 20 miles to do a weeks grocery shopping on a bicycle might be a little tough.

Or, an 80 mile roundtrip to ones office on a "scooter" might also be inappropriate.

Walking that far is out

Then, there is the thing about pulling the travel trailer or boat - don't think the bike or scooter will work - do you?
for the boat and trailer you could always start working out and pull it rickshaw style!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
for the boat and trailer you could always start working out and pull it rickshaw style!
Now, there is an idea - we would get to use them AND get the benefit of excercise too!

Fantastic!!!

Gee, you are really creative!!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps.

Walking that far is out

I spent summers in a more rustic area than anyplace I've seen in America, and I've been to the most backwoodsy areas in places like the Dakotas, Montana, and the like. Not as rural spread out, but definitely more old school.

My grandfather lugged propane tanks almost a mile by bicycle so we could cook in our summer kitchen, at 60 years old. Since there was no air conditioning and summers were hot, you'd cook in a separate shelter to avoid heating up the main house. I think people are just too lazy to perceive a scenario where they're forced to take a more efficient vehicle. It's a shame because it's going to be forced on us as a society and it takes a long time to build infrastructure and change vehicles.

Scooters are generally a good idea for running a quick errand. There's going to be a huge market for these puppies.

It's all a matter of what is possible under people's budgets. I definitely predict a huge loss in value for recreational vehicles and boats in addition to the current collapse of most suburban real estate. Lots of 30 footers being repo'ed in the coming years from middle to upper-middle income families being squeezed.

As far as I'm concerned, they're still practically giving away oil and gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies