Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,876 times

Advertisements

Westco, tell us ONE case of someone who is in prison today because they smoked or failed to use a seatbelt.

That's quite a leap, violating a smoking ordinance or a seat belt law, and ending up in prison. This slippery-slope reasoning is what's mind-boggling to me!

Really! Check this true story out.

Sam Peterson II of Sparta, Michigan has been arrested and charged with stealing the Wi-Fi connection from a nearby coffee shop. He was arrested after a police investigation targeted his computer.
The ultimate penalty for the 2000-vintage law: five years in jail, $10,000 fine.
“People need to know that this isn’t legal and if you get caught there are some pretty serious consequences.,” Hopkins said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but people go to prison for using drugs.

I've never used. I don't feel a need to use. If my children ever use, I'll frog-march them into rehab.

That being said, explain to me how this is the government's business. Yet a huge proportion of our prison population is comprised of people who broke the country's drug laws, something that has a very dubious basis under the Constitution. All because some bluenoses disapprove of it.

So yeah, he was indulging in hyperbole, but he wasn't that far off, either.
I would say get the drug users out of jail and put them in rehab. Take the harmful criminals(murders, child molesters,etc.) and put them in special types of prisons, kind of like the one in Alcatraz. A good place to put the worst criminals is in places like the rural areas of cold-climate states(Minnesota, Alaska, Maine). Put them in out-of the way areas. Blindfold them, put them on the plane, and ship them to those areas.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 AM

418 posts, read 564,309 times
Welcome to real US of A... crime ridden negbourhoods, guns, kids with uzis, teenage gangs... shootings, rapes, slums...

Despite trying to incarcerate ALL of its population, USA is a dangerous country, with high murder rates, and many extremely dangerous areas.

But, i guess Americans don't mind paying taxes to support millions of prisoners... WHY on earth would you pay taxes for healthcare, elderly care etc. when you can PAY to support scum?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK - For the first time in U.S. history, more than one of every 100 adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report documenting America's rank as the world's No. 1 incarcerator. It urges states to curtail corrections spending by placing fewer low-risk offenders behind bars.

Upgrade Browser
Has it crossed anyone in the government's minds that maybe, JUST maybe we aren't doing something right....

Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Has it crossed anyone in the government's minds that maybe, JUST maybe we aren't doing something right....
Noooo?? How could it be?

Well... US spends more on one prisoner, than it provides in welfare, social security etc. for NORMAL citizen, who PAYS taxes.

Hasn't it occured to anyone that perhaps SICK and extremely inequal society in US simply leads to crime, and more crime?

So, there must be something wrong... with prisons about to explode, crime being rampant, and richer getting richer, while poor are getting poorer, something has to give.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times
Thumbs down Record-High Ratio of Americans in Prison.

There's an article in the newest Time magazine giving the details of this situation. Since 1987, violent crime has dropped 25%, yet our prison population has nearly tripled in that same timespan. What has occurred is that mandatory sentencing laws have resulted in much longer jail time for much less serious offenses.

What's wrong with America?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
There's an article in the newest Time magazine giving the details of this situation. Since 1987, violent crime has dropped 25%, yet our prison population has nearly tripled in that same timespan. What has occurred is that mandatory sentencing laws have resulted in much longer jail time for much less serious offenses.

What's wrong with America?
Lots of stuff is wrong with America...

First of all, WHY put behind bars kids who were caught smoking pot?

US society creates criminals... a kid who was caught with pot, ends in jail... therefore he can't get a job anymore, NOTHING.

Left to streets, this kid can become just a criminal.

For lots of reasons, USA will never be a safe country... I don't like this fact,
but this is an extremely bad place for children.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
What's ridiculous to me is how I've seen friends who are first offenders for pot possession be thrown into jail or sent to mandatory rehab while DUIs get off with barely a slap on the wrist. Alcohol is much more dangerous than pot, yet pot is still illegal and oh golly jeez you must be a horrible person or an addict if you partake every once in a while.

I'll be happy when the US gets out of the stone ages.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
are there more people in jail now than before?

How can that be when crime is down overall?

if we enact some anti illegal immigration laws and enforce, that prison population would go down

Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Why should this surprise anyone? After all the prison system in America is BIG business. More and more prisons in America are being built and operated by companies like Wackernut now called Corrections Corp of America are making huge profits from not only the amount of prisoners but how much work they produce while being incarcerated.

Just think of all the jobs created for building and operating some of these huge new prisons. The many towns that were dying and drying up have now found new life through a new industry, the corpoprison. We have now figured out a way to be able to compete with Asia, India, and South America by lowering labor cost.

Land of the incarcerated home of the guard. Sci-fi channel couldn't dream up this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies