Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Great way for her to get attention, she should move to Hollywood.

Nope, don't even try to put the Trumpee's usual spin on this. She could care less about attention, she is simply standing up for her beliefs and she has that absolute right. Nice to see someone with the courage and integrity to say "NO!".

Do you on the right actually think these thousands and thousands of people (maybe millions) who are not accepting Trump are doing it for any reason other than they see a man they can not accept ? Have you ever seen such a ground swell of discord in any election ? The answer is no. Why do you think this is happening ? Could it just possibly be that we see something not right that has us deeply concerned ?

You guys can paint it any way you want, but this Presidency is not going to go well at all. If you think all of this will smooth over after Jan 20, you are in for a surprise.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And for some reason, you apparently think your opinion really matters. Those of you who are going to generalize and stereotype the way you have don't need any excuses for doing so. If the Choir wasn't going to sing at Trump's inauguration, you'd just hate Mormons for some other reason.
Actually, I am fine with Mormons. Grew up around Mormons. Have Mormon neighbors. That's how I found out about the petition.

She said it turns her stomach to think of the choir singing for that "horrible man."

Old 12-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No only a segment of small minded ignorant types would stereotype like that. The basket tactic didn't work out so well for their queen bee.
I'm willing to admit that you are the authority on "small minded ignorant types." No argument with you there.

But for the rest of the world, if the LDS choir performs for Trump, it sends the message that the LDS church and its members support Trump's agenda, values, and behaviors.

There really is no way around it.

Everybody from Garth Brooks to the Italian opera singer Andrea Bocelli know that.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I read this... posted my response on my on and off blog.

Before I begin discussing this… this is not a political opinion. I am looking at our behavior and how we respond to circumstances.

So where do we go with this? She resigns because Trump’s morality is too heavy for her to bear.

Let me say that the only difference between Trump and you or me, is that he ran for president and had his dirty laundry aired out for all to see. If all of our lives were laid bare for all to see, nobody would do anything for anybody – based on the response from the woman in the church. Trump just talked. Many people root for sports teams with people that have committed actual crimes to others. Many people support politicians who have committed crimes, or cheated on their taxes.

Let’s bring another aspect to the table. She is a member of a church choir. So I assume she is a church member. She indicated that she prayed about it to God. What I see is a missed opportunity for a testimony. Because if there is anyone fit to turn His back on sinful people, it’s God. Yet He sent His Son to die for people who continually offend Him through sinful behavior.

Why not take this approach?
I am appalled at the morality that Trump displayed, but just as God forgave me for the things I did, He can forgive Trump for the things he said as well. So while I do not support what Trump said, I will sing to glorify God with the hope that Mr. Trump or anyone else will come to a relationship with God through faith in His Son.
So, basically your solution that would make her do something that she feels is wrong... is to sing in hopes that it will somehow make trump see the light? Pretzel logic at its finest.

Too bad trump isn't having a gay wedding, y'all would be all over her right to refuse to sing for it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, basically your solution that would make her do something that she feels is wrong... is to sing in hopes that it will somehow make trump see the light? Pretzel logic at its finest.

Too bad trump isn't having a gay wedding, y'all would be all over her right to refuse to sing for it.
Perhaps she can sing for Trump and Putin's wedding :-)

Seriously though, I feel sad for her. I've been part of a choir and there's a special joy that comes from singing for your God. She must have felt very strongly to make this decision.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now Ponderosa, be fair. Maybe DRob is right. Maybe he and the rest of the Trump faithful were spending those years cheating contractors, using dubious schemes to get out of paying taxes, defrauding innocent people, humiliating their wives with public affairs, walking out on their families... We don't know.

Perhaps that's why they feel such an affinity for the man.

OH wow... now we know. All those rural farmboys that put him over the top...

Old 12-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

If she was a county clerk refusing to do her job, she'd be a RW heroine. Or that baker that gets mentioned several times a day on C-D.

The woman isn't breaking the law.

She's quit the choir rather than sing for Trump.

Seems honorable to me.

The county clerk, bless her soul, could have quit her job if her deeply held convictions prevented her from performing her duties.

The baker could have quit baking wedding cakes. Unless, of course, he was opposed to baking croissants for gay people. In which case, he could have moved his business to Montana or Mississippi where it is still legal to deny gay people decent and fair treatment.

This woman did the honorable thing.

I'm surprised she isn't getting more respect for this.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Somehow I can't help but wonder if anyone has even read anything I've posted on this thread. The woman who is quitting the Choir doesn't have to quit. If she doesn't want to participate, she doesn't have to. A lot of the Choir members have simply opted out of performing for Trump. She apparently is looking for a little bit of publicity and now she's got it. Auditioning for the Choir is a grueling experience. Evidently she has forgotten all the effort she put into getting accepted in the first place. If she wants to quit the Choir, let her. There are hundreds of excellent singers who will be vying for her position, and she'll be forgotten in no time. And she won't even have accomplished anything by quitting.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
She's quit the choir rather than sing for Trump.

Seems honorable to me.
Sounds stupid to me. She didn't have to do either thing -- quit or sing.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Seriously though, I feel sad for her.
Why? She made a decision she didn't have to make. Lots of other Choir members aren't singing for Trump, and they're not quitting the Choir either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies