Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times

Advertisements

I hear people all the time rattling off about "lazy people sitting on there ass collecting welfare" and about "burdening the taxpayer" and all of that jazz. They seem to think that people on welfare is the worst thing the government is wasting money on, and that we need to get rid of it. But I think the vast majority of people on welfare actually need it to some degree, and aren't just cheating the system, but are the few million that are worth getting rid of it entirely? I don't think so. Besides, entitlement programs aren't even a fraction of the debt problem in this country

I say that the two biggest things the government can do to stop wasting money are: Stop spending ridiculous amounts on defense and end the war on drugs. We don't need military bases all over the world, we don't need to be fighting proxy wars in the middle east and trying to build nations all over the world, we need to focus on America. I am an isolationist, and while I see why it's necessary to keep tabs on other countries for security reasons, we don't need this imperial presence throughout the world and we need to stop worrying about other countries before our own and stop trying to police the world. That alone would save the biggest amount of money, as we spend more money on defense then the next top 20 countries combined, which is astounding.

Secondly, if we ended the war on drugs and legalized and regulated them, we would eliminate drug cartels and dealers, stop housing people in prison who are simply drug users (and who haven't harmed anyone else), and make a lot of tax money on top of that. Legalizing drugs won't cause a massive surge of people doing drugs, because the people who really want to do drugs are already doing them because they don't give a **** if it's legal or not. So were not going to see a massive influx of crackheads and meth addicts, we would stop the gang violence of fighting over drug territory, and people who are addicted to drugs would at least know they are getting an uncut product.

We don't need to be taxed more, we just have to make the government quit wasting what it already takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I hear people all the time rattling off about "lazy people sitting on there ass collecting welfare" and about "burdening the taxpayer" and all of that jazz. They seem to think that people on welfare is the worst thing the government is wasting money on, and that we need to get rid of it. But I think the vast majority of people on welfare actually need it to some degree, and aren't just cheating the system, but are the few million that are worth getting rid of it entirely? I don't think so. Besides, entitlement programs aren't even a fraction of the debt problem in this country

I say that the two biggest things the government can do to stop wasting money are: Stop spending ridiculous amounts on defense and end the war on drugs. We don't need military bases all over the world, we don't need to be fighting proxy wars in the middle east and trying to build nations all over the world, we need to focus on America. I am an isolationist, and while I see why it's necessary to keep tabs on other countries for security reasons, we don't need this imperial presence throughout the world and we need to stop worrying about other countries before our own and stop trying to police the world. That alone would save the biggest amount of money, as we spend more money on defense then the next top 20 countries combined, which is astounding.

Secondly, if we ended the war on drugs and legalized and regulated them, we would eliminate drug cartels and dealers, stop housing people in prison who are simply drug users (and who haven't harmed anyone else), and make a lot of tax money on top of that. Legalizing drugs won't cause a massive surge of people doing drugs, because the people who really want to do drugs are already doing them because they don't give a **** if it's legal or not. So were not going to see a massive influx of crackheads and meth addicts, we would stop the gang violence of fighting over drug territory, and people who are addicted to drugs would at least know they are getting an uncut product.

We don't need to be taxed more, we just have to make the government quit wasting what it already takes.
Really excellent ideas.

Regarding legalizing and regulating drugs, i.e., marijuana, also gives the US an entire new industry to add to the economy. Growing and retailing marijuana would greatly help a lot of those in areas where there is not a lot of employment, but where they could grow and market crops. There are a lot of people investing in the marijuana business where it is legal, and it certainly would be a positive for the economy.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon. The incoming admin looks to be doing the opposite.

Trump wants to add to the already bloated Defense Department budget, and Sessions hasn't met a drug war he doesn't love.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:50 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Really excellent ideas.

Regarding legalizing and regulating drugs, i.e., marijuana, also gives the US an entire new industry to add to the economy. Growing and retailing marijuana would greatly help a lot of those in areas where there is not a lot of employment, but where they could grow and market crops. There are a lot of people investing in the marijuana business where it is legal, and it certainly would be a positive for the economy.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon. The incoming admin looks to be doing the opposite.

Trump wants to add to the already bloated Defense Department budget, and Sessions hasn't met a drug war he doesn't love.
America doesn't necessarily need a new industry. America needs to get good at something besides creating useless, expensive bureaucracy and government dependents. Marijuana is not going to help this situation.

Besides, we had plenty of industry until Americans decided to throw it away in favor of cheap, poisonous, slave labor goods. How about teaching people to get a job again doing the stuff we used to be good at, instead of paying people to do nothing. I think we had a little better ROI in the past. You know, the way things were before the globalists invaded and took over...

Old 12-30-2016, 05:53 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
The government is wasting money on it because the government created the need for it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
America doesn't necessarily need a new industry. America needs to get good at something besides creating useless, expensive bureaucracy and government dependents. Marijuana is not going to help this situation.

Besides, we had plenty of industry until Americans decided to throw it away in favor of cheap, poisonous, slave labor goods. How about teaching people to get a job again doing the stuff we used to be good at, instead of paying people to do nothing. I think we had a little better ROI in the past. You know, the way things were before the globalists invaded and took over...
Because companies don't want to pay fair wages, so they outsource jobs to foreign countries with no labor laws and make people work for slaves wages to make our products. The American people are partly to blame for it though, because most of them all they care about is getting the cheapest possible thing, everything is disposable and they don't care about quality anymore.

You didn't mention anything about my military position, what are your thoughts on that. Controlling defense spending would put us so much further towards the black, as we waste more money on it than anything else many times over.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Because companies don't want to pay fair wages, so they outsource jobs to foreign countries with no labor laws and make people work for slaves wages to make our products. The American people are partly to blame for it though, because most of them all they care about is getting the cheapest possible thing, everything is disposable and they don't care about quality anymore.

You didn't mention anything about my military position, what are your thoughts on that. Controlling defense spending would put us so much further towards the black, as we waste more money on it than anything else many times over.
It doesn't matter what companies want. It's their job to play within the rules assigned to them. Over the years, the system has been corrupted, and big biz has meddled and changed those rules, or learned how to work around them. They need to return to the basics of providing goods and services at a fair and reasonable cost, while paying fair market rates for the labor they consume. This allows workers to act as honest consumers. Expecting tax payers to pay for Walmart's labor costs is ridiculous, but that is exactly what is happening so often.

Defense spending is very high, but at least puts some people to work. Not good when it consumes such a large share of the spending though. There is documented waste going on, it is no secret. No one with the courage to tackle it on either side though. I don't see Trump as someone who wants to tackle that either.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:12 PM

243 posts, read 220,873 times
I'm down with the drug idea . But the government is ME and everyone else's money . LESS government , and the money they take from me , I don't want to give to anybody else . get a job , do somthing . I'd guess the majority of people could get a job , maybe they would be worse off , but not on my dime .

Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It doesn't matter what companies want. It's their job to play within the rules assigned to them. Over the years, the system has been corrupted, and big biz has meddled and changed those rules, or learned how to work around them. They need to return to the basics of providing goods and services at a fair and reasonable cost, while paying fair market rates for the labor they consume. This allows workers to act as honest consumers. Expecting tax payers to pay for Walmart's labor costs is ridiculous, but that is exactly what is happening so often.

Defense spending is very high, but at least puts some people to work. Not good when it consumes such a large share of the spending though. There is documented waste going on, it is no secret. No one with the courage to tackle it on either side though. I don't see Trump as someone who wants to tackle that either.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those $15 an hour minimum wage people, but I do believe that if you only pay minimum wage to your workers you shouldn't expect them to bust their asses and kill themselves for you for next to nothing, and you have to pay people a wage they can live off of. So we need to stop this paying illegals slave wages under the table also. If a job is labor intensive you should be paid more than someone who just sits at a desk all day. If you treat your workers like ****, don't expect much from them.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those $15 an hour minimum wage people, but I do believe that if you only pay minimum wage to your workers you shouldn't expect them to bust their asses and kill themselves for you for next to nothing, and you have to pay people a wage they can live off of. So we need to stop this paying illegals slave wages under the table also. If a job is labor intensive you should be paid more than someone who just sits at a desk all day. If you treat your workers like ****, don't expect much from them.
Of course no company pays minimum wage and expects $30/hr quality work. Those that think they will get more for their money than their money buys are delusional. If they need this to survive, they will simply be replaced by a more efficient business. But it doesn't stop the fact that many workers are competing against cheap illegal labor, slave wage foreign labor, automation and robots, and so forth. These are not simple times for business owners, or the people who make a living providing the necessary labor. When you throw more government meddling and programs into the mix, things only become more complicated.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:58 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Defense is the ONLY thing the federal government should be doing. Everything else should be handed off to states.

If you really want to be amazed at the total and complete waste of the federal government, read The Federal Register for a month or so. It will make you sick to your stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies