Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
One alternative for liberals should have been to band together and rally against the DNC, demanding Sanders' nomination. All of us knew HRC was not a popular candidate and with the threat of Trump looming, we all should have been on our toes and we weren't.

As far as the middle finger, once its down, what's the point? Okay Trump supporters flipped off the country...but at what expense? This is the biggest problem I have with this entire election. So many Americans were so short sighted, they couldn't see past November 8. I wonder if the FU will have been worth it for his voters by the end of 2017.
I don't agree...Sanders would have never carried the centrists. Sanders supporters make an awful lot of assumptions concerning who would have voted for him. That unpopular candidate won the popular vote, btw, which I'm sure you know. Maybe if Sanders supporters hadn't perpetrated right wing lies, things would be different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
No liberal I know "mocks" or "treats with contempt" working class America. This is just another stupid anti-liberal meme making the rounds. You know who does, though? Wall Street and Donald Trump and his new cabinet of 1%-ers. They're laughing all the way to the bank at the working-class Trump supporters who actually thought that Trump was an "outsider" who would "drain the swamp" of East Coast "elites."
Unfortunately I know some.

One of the favorites after the election from classmates of mine - "thanks uneducated rural America."

Old 12-31-2016, 11:25 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Unfortunately I know some.

One of the favorites after the election from classmates of mine - "thanks uneducated rural America."
The funny thing is trump won college educated white males by a very large margin. Rural voters made up only 17 percent of this year’s electorate and most rural voters from california to maine usually vote Republican. Most trump voters were better educated and more wealthy than the typical voter?

"white and wealthy voters gave victory to Donald Trump, exit polls show "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-exit-polls

The voters Clinton really lost—the ones she was targeting and relying on for victory—were college-educated whites. Most polling suggested she would win these voters, but she didn’t, according to exit polls: White men went 63 percent for Trump versus 31 percent for Clinton, and white women went 53-43 percent. Among college-educated whites, only 39 percent of men and 51 percent of women voted for Clinton.

Its part of the liberal narrative to say trump won because of non college educated whites, you never heard that kind of talk when obama won and Obamas victory was based on low income. non college educated voters much more than trumps, but alot of them werent white so certain parts of the media doesnt highlight that.

Trump won college educated white males by 15 points! 54 to 39

https://news.vice.com/story/white-pe...t-donald-trump

https://newrepublic.com/article/1387...-working-class

"Why Did College-Educated White Women Vote for Trump"

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...nia-women.html

Last edited by floridanative10; 12-31-2016 at 11:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 12:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Yeah, well...a lot of people in "gun-country, God-fearing America" spend a lot of time putting other people down just as much as they get put down themselves. Sure, some of them are nice people like Bourdain says, but they have the same cross section of a-holes as the rest of America. I live in so called "gun-country, God-fearing America," and a lot of these SOB's are some awful people.

So please, spare me.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Answers:

#1 --- Certainly not the democrats. If the democrats truly cared about the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans, then they wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail for the following:

A) Refusing to secure the border.

B) Refusing to make E-verify the law of the land.

C) Fighting to prevent workplace raids to weed out illegals

D) Defiantly fighting to keep their sanctuary jurisdictions

#2 --- Democrats turn a blind eye when it comes to exploitation of illegal aliens.

#3 --- Certainly not the democrats. If they cared about the debt the poor and middle class carry, then they would have supported getting rid of illegals. Illegals have depressed wages for unskilled workers. For those in the construction fields, many Americans have lost their livelihood because they couldn't compete with sleazy contractors who hire illegals and pay them under the table.

Democrats stopped caring about the poor, working and middle classes a long time ago. Today's dems are NOT your grandfather's democrats. I was once a staunch democrat. Growing up in a very blue state, I heard stories from my parents and grandparents about how much dems did to help their constituents. You could always count on dems. Those democrats of yore would have been horrified to see that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were losing jobs due to illegal immigration. And those dems of yore would have done something about it, too --- and I don't mean amnesty. They also would have never tolerated seeing STEM/IT workers losing their jobs to H1-B visa holders.
Well said.

I think the shift in the Democratic Party started around 1992, when the radical Left's "race/class/gender" politics replaced old-fashioned Marxism and neo-Marxism (which made few distinctions apart from class) in the universities -- along with a much greater emphasis on the legacy of European imperialism against the Third World.

For the Left and -- increasingly -- for the Democrats, working white men (the Democrats' former constituency) and Western European culture were now the "oppressor."

So a new "constituency" of mostly (but not exclusively) poor, unskilled and uneducated non-white legal and illegal immigrants, refugees and asylees from the Third World needed to be cultivated as a new "base" for the party.

At the same time, the notion of the rights and "agency" of individuals -- so central to the Enlightenment -- had to be discredited as reactionary and "bourgeois" so that group rights, entitlements and "identity politics" (according to which your group identity -- race, gender, class, sexual orientation, etc. -- was the only thing important about you) could take their place.

If you followed leftist rhetoric -- as I did over the last 25 years or so -- and saw it increasingly manifest itself in liberal and Democratic rhetoric, it became clear that the Democrats had become both anti-intellectual (rejecting Western Civilization and its many achievements) and bigoted -- or to put it more bluntly, racist and sexist -- against whites and males (in addition to being hostile to Christianity.)

This political shift will "work" in the long run to the extent that America becomes less white, but it will not work in the sense of preserving individual liberty, individual rights and individual enterprise.

America will become a Third World country with a small privileged elite (not exclusively white) and an oppressive state apparatus to perpetuate that privilege and inequality in the face of ever increasing poverty and desperation.

No intelligent white person who values freedom, opportunity and prosperity for his or her children should support the Democratic Party -- period.

White men in particular should have been up in arms a long time ago, given that whites and males can be -- and are -- legally discriminated against in this country.

Last edited by dechatelet; 01-01-2017 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 05:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Very correct!

If Bill Clinton is never president, there is no financial crisis in 2009.
You are assuming that another president wouldn't have signed off on the deregulation. Clinton did but there is no way you can assume that another wouldn't have.

Quote:
So if you enjoy paying less than $4/gal for gasoline and like having the U.S. in a position to tell OPEC to go **** themselves, thank Bush/Cheney!
$4.00 had very little to do with supply and demand.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't agree...Sanders would have never carried the centrists. Sanders supporters make an awful lot of assumptions concerning who would have voted for him. That unpopular candidate won the popular vote, btw, which I'm sure you know. Maybe if Sanders supporters hadn't perpetrated right wing lies, things would be different now.
I voted for Sanders and then Stein. I did not want Trump to win but I really wanted Hillary to lose.

Nobody that voted for Hillary would not have voted for Sanders. No way Sanders loses Michigan or Wisconsin. He most likely wins Pennsylvania.

From there, who knows BUT Hillary did lose.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well...a lot of people in "gun-country, God-fearing America" spend a lot of time putting other people down just as much as they get put down themselves. Sure, some of them are nice people like Bourdain says, but they have the same cross section of a-holes as the rest of America. I live in so called "gun-country, God-fearing America," and a lot of these SOB's are some awful people.

So please, spare me.
There are indeed idiots everywhere. What Bourdain is speaking about though is the politics and what it is going to take to win.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Yes, its all about the lies the left told and the right is pure as the driven snow. Until we get past the blame game, nothing will get better.

I disagree re: centrists and Sanders. Why? Because when you get down to brass tacks, Trump is a democrat in elephant's clothing. And apparently lots of centrists voted for him.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm sorry to say that YOUR wish does not equate to the majority's wishes.

Sanders was NOT the choice of the majority nor would he have won against Trump. Nothing the DNC did caused Bernie to NOT cultivate the votes of minorities - which he did not receive. It's like anyone in a red state wasn't worthy.

His fault; no one else.
So, my wish didn't come true. Make no mistake, my main issue is with both absolutely corrupt political parties. There is no doubt that Hillary was the chosen one regardless of what the people wanted, and the DNC made every attempt to shove that two time loser down everyone's throat. True, Sanders did not get the nomination, the real prize was Hillary not winning the presidency. You can also bet your bottom dollar there were many qualified democrats in the know, stayed off the ballot, knowing full well the fix was in for Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies