Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
The other elephant in the room is that the overwhelming majority of those "reproducing like rabbits" are low-IQ/dumb people with low incomes to match (further straining government welfare programs and schools, and thus putting UPWARD pressure on taxes). Dumb/low-IQ people that carelessly pop out babies without the proper planning, foresight, and resources are a BIG problem

Property taxes for example are a huge rip-off for childless/single people. Supposedly the taxes pay for schools and teacher's paychecks, but what happens if one doesn't have any kids? That arrangement doesn't sound very "fair" or "liberal" to me

QUALITY of people matters too, and the people overbreeding these days are almost all low-IQ/low-income types. Smart/responsible people are not having babies at the same level.

After several decades of the ^above^ trend it's NO WONDER quality of living is down, cost of living is up, social trust is down, culture is in the crapper, etc
I agree with all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Cars use oil. Gas prices will be rising in the coming years along with all energy. Food requires transportation by oil. Food will get more expensive.

This is not 1950. Pretending it is won't work out well for you.
One of these decades, perhaps we will actually "hit" peak oil. It's been predicted for decades...yet ever year new fields are discovered and new, more efficient means of extraction are developed. If WE have an issue with oil-it will be of our own making NIMBY and ignorant politicians "locking up" our natural resources will hurt us far more than lack of supply.

And as we hit peak oil, alternative sources of energy will gradually become more practical. Battery packs are providing longer range and quicker charging. Costs are still out of reach for many, but getting more reasonable. As far as food getting more expensive? Don't forget-we PAY farmers NOT to plant their fields in order to keep prices up now.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:16 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
You clearly don't know much about how recovering oil actually works. Oil is only valuable if it takes less energy to recover it than it provides. For instance.. if it takes two barrels worth of oil to recover one barrel.. then the oil is worthless.

Its not "how much oil we have" that matters. Its how much oil we can cheaply recover.
What Libs fail to understand or acknowledge, is that same concept applies to alternative energy sources as well.

If it costs more to build a windmill than it will make selling the energy that it produces, then it is not economically feasible.

And there is nothing in the range of alternative energy sources that packs the energy per investment dollar that petroleum does with our current technology.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
People always blame politicians, laws, and illegal aliens for all our economic problems. However, the true cause of our problems are over population and declining natural resources.

The world economy is designed around constant growth. However, earth is not getting any bigger. Why do people think we can keep growing and draining resources endlessly without any negative consequences?

We have already used half of the world's oil with demand climbing constantly. For these reasons.. oil will continue to become more expensive in the coming decades until we use it all up 30-50 years from now. Since we need oil for just about everything (transportation, manufacturing, food production, consumer goods, etc.) its safe to assume everyone's lifestyle will either decline or become more expensive to maintain until we find an oil replacement.

And there is nothing your hero Trump can do about it. All those jobs he promised along with the "Make America Great Again" ain't gonna happen. It won't happen because our politicians are not the cause or the result of over population and declining resources.

You can't negotiate or make "deals" with mother nature. The so-called "good times" for the U.S. in the 1950's was around peak U.S. oil production. Since that peak.. our lifestyle has become more expensive. We import the majority of our oil from the middle east. This is why one person cannot support a family on a middle class income anymore. Guess what? Those days are over and they are probably not coming back in our lifetime. Nothing Trump can do about it (and nothing Hillary could of done either).

Even if "technology saves us" it will take years upon years to transition to a new source of energy that replaces oil. The longer it takes to find a replacement and start implementing the changes.. the worse our standard of living will get in the meantime as oil prices rise.

To anyone who believes this is "fear mongering" or "Liberal propaganda" I just ask that you provide a good argument with strong evidence and facts.
Did you watch Collapse?

In all honesty, Bill Burr is right, at least 85% of the people on earth need to go.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
There is no overpopulation as an issue. The populations of most countries are contracting.

I always recommend the book: What to Expect When No One's Expecting: America's Coming Demographic Disaster by Jonathan V Last. It's not just about America despite the title. Here's a description of the book:

"Population growth has been slowing for two generations. The world’s population will peak, and then begin shrinking, within the next fifty years. In some countries, it’s already started. Japan, for instance, will be half its current size by the end of the century. In Italy, there are already more deaths than births every year. China’s One-Child Policy has left that country without enough women to marry its men, not enough young people to support the country’s elderly, and an impending population contraction that has the ruling class terrified. And all of this is coming to America, too. In fact, it’s already here. Middle-class Americans have their own, informal one-child policy these days. And an alarming number of upscale professionals don’t even go that far—they have dogs, not kids. In fact, if it weren’t for the wave of immigration we experienced over the last thirty years, the United States would be on the verge of shrinking, too. What to Expect When No One’s Expecting explains why the population implosion happened and how it is remaking culture, the economy, and politics both at home and around the world."

https://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-W...qid=1396613474

Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
China gave up that one- child policy years ago. Middle east countries have a 5 to 8 % increase in population growth. Some regions of the world have half of their population under 18. What rock are some of you living under?

There are nearly 80 million new children born into poverty each year. To think this isn't a problem is naive.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 AM

421 posts, read 204,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
China gave up that one- child policy years ago. Middle east countries have a 5 to 8 % increase in population growth. Some regions of the world have half of their population under 18. What rock are some of you living under?

There are nearly 80 million new children born into poverty each year. To think this isn't a problem is naive.
This. We don't "need" more random dumb/low-IQ people. And worse, their low incomes invariably mean they will end up on some form of welfare

I've never understood the Bernie-brand liberals that are for $15/hour minimum wage, but in the next breath talk about how they are "in favor" of things like immigration/more refugees. It's like how retarded can you be?! More people/immigrants = more DOWNWARD pressure on wages, duh!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
RE: Light rail mass transportation.
Will there be a station within walking distance of my house? My bet is "NO!"
So, I will need some means of getting to the station and back home. More than likely , a personal vehicle.
Will there be a drop off point near the store I need to go to? Let's say I need to go to Walmart, Tractor Supply, Albertson's, Target, and Costco. Again, probably not, so that means I will have to take a taxi from the station to the store(s). Another more than likely petroleum powered and lubricated vehicle.
How will I get my purchases back to the station, especially if I am doing shopping for the next two weeks, as is common? How will I get the stuff from the station to my home?
Will the train or bus schedule meet my needs For convenience? The current bus schedule certainly doesn't, it isn't any stretch to imagine the train schedule won't, either.
Thanks anyway, but it will be a great deal more convenient to just drive my truck to town and do my shopping.
Besides, the way that the current expansions are going around here, most of the rail system would serve the downtown and West side of town, and I live 5 miles East of town. There isn't even a "Park & Ride" lot at the city limits so we can drive to town and take the bus.
But then, the bus service/schedule isn't all that great, anyway. I would bet light rail would be just as bad, possibly worse!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 AM

421 posts, read 204,996 times
I don't think cars/fossil fuel issue is even the problem. A car is just a tool, gas is just a liquid, neither is "good" or "bad".

The problem is TOO MANY FREAKIN' PEOPLE

A small/balanced population of 5 million? Not a problem.

A large 500 million population, and a good percentage of them has cars or need gas? That's when you get traffic, pollution, strain on resources, etc.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
People always blame politicians, laws, and illegal aliens for all our economic problems. However, the true cause of our problems are over population and declining natural resources.

The world economy is designed around constant growth. However, earth is not getting any bigger. Why do people think we can keep growing and draining resources endlessly without any negative consequences?

We have already used half of the world's oil with demand climbing constantly. For these reasons.. oil will continue to become more expensive in the coming decades until we use it all up 30-50 years from now. Since we need oil for just about everything (transportation, manufacturing, food production, consumer goods, etc.) its safe to assume everyone's lifestyle will either decline or become more expensive to maintain until we find an oil replacement.

And there is nothing your hero Trump can do about it. All those jobs he promised along with the "Make America Great Again" ain't gonna happen. It won't happen because our politicians are not the cause or the result of over population and declining resources.

You can't negotiate or make "deals" with mother nature. The so-called "good times" for the U.S. in the 1950's was around peak U.S. oil production. Since that peak.. our lifestyle has become more expensive. We import the majority of our oil from the middle east. This is why one person cannot support a family on a middle class income anymore. Guess what? Those days are over and they are probably not coming back in our lifetime. Nothing Trump can do about it (and nothing Hillary could of done either).

Even if "technology saves us" it will take years upon years to transition to a new source of energy that replaces oil. The longer it takes to find a replacement and start implementing the changes.. the worse our standard of living will get in the meantime as oil prices rise.

To anyone who believes this is "fear mongering" or "Liberal propaganda" I just ask that you provide a good argument with strong evidence and facts.
You can't prove a negative. I don't have to "provide a good argument with strong evidence and facts".
You lost and must live a miserable existence based on your rambling. You clearly failed your history and economics classes.

President Trump will reverse the damage caused by your type's social engineering, and will make America great again after the sophomoric Obama bent us over and violated us for the last eight years.

Fossil fuels will be around for a long time. Trees, cut down and split, make a toasty blaze in my fireplace and fire pit. I love the smell of burning wood!

Here's something that will really annoy you a as liberal: I'm from the era you denounce, and I did what was necessary to set myself up for a wonderful retirement. We enjoy our mortgage-free waterfront home with our boat at our dock.
My wife will have more money than she needs after I'm gone.

You choose to be a defeatist. You can change, but it's unlikely based on the level of your indoctrination. You can thank your teachers every time you turn the key to your basement apartment.

Good luck. You'll need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies