Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although we differ on some issues, I do agree that putting people in jail for nonviolent crimes like prostitution is wasteful. Nationwide it costs an average of more than $35,000 a year to keep one person in prison for a year. In states like New York and California the costs are significantly higher. I've seen studies that estimate it costs anywhere from $60,000 to over $100,000 to house, feed and guard just one prisoner in areas like NYC. I would imagine that counseling and educational programs cost a lot less. Also, a criminal record will follow someone wherever he goes. A young person who turns his life around can become a productive member of society and that benefits everyone.
New York City is an expensive place to live for just about everyone, including prisoners.

The city paid $167,731 to feed, house and guard each inmate last year, according to a study the Independent Budget Office released this week.

City’s Annual Cost Per Inmate Is $168,000, Study Finds - The New York Times

Yes, some people believe they should tell other people how to live their lives no matter what the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
. In a way, maybe you're right, since most Americans didn't choose Trump either.
This is true. And exactly the same for every presidential election winner. They never get a majority of Americans to vote for them.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
But they will be less likely to encounter law enforcement at all, and therefore more likely to continue doing what they're doing.
How did you arrive at that conclusion? The johns and pimps are still breaking the law and will still be arrested and prosecuted. It's just that now, when the door is kicked in to where underage prostitution takes place, the victims won't have to fear being locked up.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:11 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion? The johns and pimps are still breaking the law and will still be arrested and prosecuted. It's just that now, when the door is kicked in to where underage prostitution takes place, the victims won't have to fear being locked up.

good! johns ask for minors- let them rot in hell

Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There will be a lot of Government pimps that will arrest selected johns.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you think you should make choices for other people?
How in the hell did you get that from what you quoted?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you think you should make choices for other people?
I agree that in many cases we shouldn't be making lifestyle choices for adults (unless they are a threat to others) but this thread is about children. Frankly, I can't understand why prostitution between 2 consenting adults is criminal, but many young people are victims who ran away from abusive homes, got hooked on drugs at an early age or have serious emotional problems. We shouldn't turn our backs on them.

Look at other victimless crimes and you can see a pattern. Crack possession has always been considered a more serious crime than using cocaine, and a $500 a night "date" is more acceptable than a $20 street hooker. When you look at statistics on missing children, minorities make up 65% of all non-family abductions, according to the FBI. Yet if I ask people to mention well known cases of missing or murdered kids, they can only list names like Caylee Anthony, JonBenet Ramsey or Elizabeth Smart. I wonder what they all have in common.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,763,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You know, that's a pretty good idea.

In fact, that's pretty much exactly what this law does!

Facts:
  • Hiring children or forcing them to engage in sex is still illegal
  • Minors caught engaging in prostitution can still be taken into custody
    • The only difference now is that they'll be treated as victims and get help (counseling, maybe being removed from the home, whatever is deemed necessary for their particular case) instead of being tossed in jail and stuck with a criminal record.
The law does not say the second part at all.
They expressly cannot be taken into custody. Instead, you have to use an existing welfare code that has nothing to do with this law. (And that code still requires minors taken into custody to be mirandized.)

Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Let's post more BS to further divide us.......shameful.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Let's post more BS to further divide us.......shameful.
Your brief comment wasn't very specific, so I don't know if you were referring to my post, but you cannot ignore the statistics. The media always focuses on stories that get the most attention. Look at how much time was dedicated to the Natalee Holloway disappearance and 20 years later the media is talking about JonBenet Ramsey. You can't tell me there isn't a lot of media bias.

Of course I know that children of every race and socioeconomic status are at risk of kidnapping and sexual abuse, but I was simply pointing out the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies