Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:18 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I bummed around Europe ( mostly France) for 8 months last year. I surf maybe 3 to 4 times a week and... I live ( and own a home) about 4 blocks from the beach. Haven't had a job since November 2016.
I live in SoCal and am very curious in how you manage to own a home near the beach w/o a VERY high paying job or extremely fortunate inheritance. You can't post things like that without an explanation because it's not even remotely possible for the vast majority of Americans. I also live 4 blocks form the beach in an awesome neighborhood but I pay an insane amount of money in rent to do so, almost 4x the mortgage I paid for a large beautiful house in MI. The house I rent is nice, but it's small and old but would cost nearly a miilion dollars to own. I love living in SoCal and wouldn't move back for anything but I won't pretend it doesn't come at a very high cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post

I bummed around Europe ( mostly France) for 8 months last year. I surf maybe 3 to 4 times a week and... I live ( and own a home) about 4 blocks from the beach. Haven't had a job since November 2016.
I think your post is rather misleading since you're bragging a bit and making it sound as though you're doing this relying on your own resources, while witholding information about your lack of employment or earning status. I don't believe your carefree privileged trust fund lifestyle is quite the same thing as the kind of frugal penny-pinching "bumming around" that this topic is about.

You've posted an awful lot of personal information about yourself in several forums on City Data stating that you're a late 20's female trust fund baby who doesn't have to work. You don't personally own it but do have access to a nice house, cash and a s---load of expensive toys, vehicles, clothing, jewellery, vacations and other high-end assets afforded by your trust fund. You have a wealthy lawyer daddy and a wealthy older sugar-daddy type of "friend with benefits". You are the well off exception, not the norm, and you can afford to bum around 24/7/365 in high style for as long as your trust fund holds out for you.

But I don't think it's fair for you to be flaunting and boasting about your lifestyle to people who have to work hard and be so careful with their money and their time, and leading them on is wrong when the reality is you cannot or will not afford on your own merit the privileged lifestyle that you take for granted. It's a good thing that you are well enough educated (at least you sound like it) since you might be forced to fall back on that education some day and get an honest job.

Where do you live? Age? How much do you make a year? How much is your net worth? (MERGED)

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-02-2017 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 03:55 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It sounds like you are living the digital nomad lifestyle .
I'm guessing you have pretty strong tech skills ?

There seem to be more people doing this now with high speed internet being more common although overall I'm sure it's a tiny percentage of the population .
It does sound like a lot of fun .

https://blog.todoist.com/2015/02/05/...mad-lifestyle/
Interesting link. Thanks.

Not necessarily strong tech skills. I do a little tech-related freelancing here and there, but I also do some copy editing and a lot of babysitting (my son). My wife is Chinese travel writer. We also make some money with our travel vlog.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I live in SoCal and am very curious in how you manage to own a home near the beach w/o a VERY high paying job or extremely fortunate inheritance. You can't post things like that without an explanation because it's not even remotely possible for the vast majority of Americans. I also live 4 blocks form the beach in an awesome neighborhood but I pay an insane amount of money in rent to do so, almost 4x the mortgage I paid for a large beautiful house in MI. The house I rent is nice, but it's small and old but would cost nearly a miilion dollars to own. I love living in SoCal and wouldn't move back for anything but I won't pretend it doesn't come at a very high cost.

It's a far higher cost to spend your life living somewhere you don't like doing something you don't want to do.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
The new path is to become an illegal or Muslim refugee surfer.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 AM

421 posts, read 205,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think COL is forcing people to be more creative in leeching off of others.

e.g. I rented a room from a drunk who paid house rent to his out-of-town buddy. The drunk lived in the house for free by renting out rooms at a price high enough to cover his house rent, plus a surplus. When I moved in he was collecting unemployment benefits. As a trade union member, he did not have to actively look for work because that was supposedly a responsibility of the union. He used his full 99 weeks of unemployment and then got a 50% VA disability benefit. Then he discovered he could get more money on SS disability and switched to that.

After that I rented a room from a guy who also pays house rent to an absentee landlord, and lives in the house for free by charging higher room rents.
This type of trend is actually more common than one might think (but people obviously don't mention it out of shame/embarrassment). I know a woman acquiantance that's 32 and still lives at home in one of her parent's spare rooms.

She pays no rent, no food, no utilities, etc. She also has a daughter. Because she has so much surplus income from not paying any bills, she recently went out and got herself a brand new car and a $550/month car payment She also spends a TON on designer clothes and random superficial stuff like jewelry and outer-wear.

But if you ran into her, you would think she's wealthy or "upper-middle class".... but nope In reality she's fairly broke at the end of each month as evidenced by her "i'm broke" whining on Facebook. I guess what i'm saying is appearances are deceiving, and people will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to put on this "front" of normalcy/wealth despite for all intents and purposes being poor.

The UNREASONABLY high cost of living/rents is forcing people into all sorts of strange arrangements. Living with parents well into adulthood is the big elephant in the room that people avoid talking about.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Interesting link. Thanks.

Not necessarily strong tech skills. I do a little tech-related freelancing here and there, but I also do some copy editing and a lot of babysitting (my son). My wife is Chinese travel writer. We also make some money with our travel vlog.
Oh interesting . That's cool you guys are making money from travel writing .
I'd like to see your blog if you want to post it or PM it to me .

Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
This type of trend is actually more common than one might think (but people obviously don't mention it out of shame/embarrassment). I know a woman acquiantance that's 32 and still lives at home in one of her parent's spare rooms.

She pays no rent, no food, no utilities, etc. She also has a daughter. Because she has so much surplus income from not paying any bills, she recently went out and got herself a brand new car and a $550/month car payment She also spends a TON on designer clothes and random superficial stuff like jewelry and outer-wear.

But if you ran into her, you would think she's wealthy or "upper-middle class".... but nope In reality she's fairly broke at the end of each month as evidenced by her "i'm broke" whining on Facebook. I guess what i'm saying is appearances are deceiving, and people will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to put on this "front" of normalcy/wealth despite for all intents and purposes being poor.

The UNREASONABLY high cost of living/rents is forcing people into all sorts of strange arrangements. Living with parents well into adulthood is the big elephant in the room that people avoid talking about.
I know this is very common in L.A many figure they'll never own a home or have their own place so might as well "enjoy themselves".

Old 01-02-2017, 12:54 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I've had long stretches of unemployment. I'm employed now and seek to remain that way. When I was unemployed, it rarely crossed my mind to go "bumming around". Why? Fear. It was either go back to living with my parents or be homeless. Being dirty, cold(or hot in the summer), not knowing where you'll sleep that night. And then let's bring up the vagrancy laws. Places with vagrancy laws will gladly arrest and lock up those "bumming around".

Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I know this is very common in L.A many figure they'll never own a home or have their own place so might as well "enjoy themselves".

Not if they want to remain in LA, but they could most likely own a home or condo somewhere else in CA or in another state. Same with NYC, SF, etc. If they never save their money they will probably still have problems later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies