Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:31 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,884,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you younger ? Did you have a high paying job and then retired early ? Any family inheritance ?
Would be great to hear more if you are willing to share .
I am 27, not retired. When I was 21 and in college I received an inheritance in the form of a trust fund. I had a decent paying job for a single and I continued to work until my grandmother in France took ill. I took family leave, but she needed my help longer than the leave I was granted so I resigned.... after she passed I stayed and took care of her affairs and then bummed around Europe for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,177,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's a far higher cost to spend your life living somewhere you don't like doing something you don't want to do.
I agree. I know so many people in my home city who hate living there and complain constantly but they are too scared to take a chance moving somewhere else.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,177,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think your post is rather misleading since you're bragging a bit and making it sound as though you're doing this relying on your own resources, while witholding information about your lack of employment or earning status. I don't believe your carefree privileged trust fund lifestyle is quite the same thing as the kind of frugal penny-pinching "bumming around" that this topic is about.

You've posted an awful lot of personal information about yourself in several forums on City Data stating that you're a late 20's female trust fund baby who doesn't have to work. You don't personally own it but do have access to a nice house, cash and a s---load of expensive toys, vehicles, clothing, jewellery, vacations and other high-end assets afforded by your trust fund. You have a wealthy lawyer daddy and a wealthy older sugar-daddy type of "friend with benefits". You are the well off exception, not the norm, and you can afford to bum around 24/7/365 in high style for as long as your trust fund holds out for you.

But I don't think it's fair for you to be flaunting and boasting about your lifestyle to people who have to work hard and be so careful with their money and their time, and leading them on is wrong when the reality is you cannot or will not afford on your own merit the privileged lifestyle that you take for granted. It's a good thing that you are well enough educated (at least you sound like it) since you might be forced to fall back on that education some day and get an honest job.

Where do you live? Age? How much do you make a year? How much is your net worth? (MERGED)

Thank you for clarifying. Anyone can bum around if they have someone else paying all their bills.

I live at the beach and know many people who look like "surf bums," but they all have to work. Many have night jobs bartending, serving, etc and a few are fortunate enough to work from home. Rents are so high and landlords are very strict with tenents and income requirements. The days of simply piling a house full of people and taking the odd job here and there while surfing the days away are long gone.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:03 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Exactly!! It's a shame because it doesn't have to be that way. One of many things I've noticed is the attitude of many Aussies is to help out those down on their luck, while in america it's more like "I've got mine so screw everyone else because I'm better" mindset.
I'll never understand why so many Americans look down on people who struggle. Not every poor person is a lazy, drug-addicted, dole bludger.
Maybe the people who got theirs worked for theirs and are tired of the people who didn't want to. What you forget is EVERYONE has crap to deal with. It's only some who expect others to bail them out.

I know a couple who bummed while the rest of us gave up the party life so we could set up our foundation (college and a job). When reality hit this couple in the face, they always had their hand out and worse, even though they couldn't pay their mortgage, the partying and trips to the ocean didn't stop, someone would bail them out. I think people are sick of that kind of attitude. Their raising kids teaching them the same attitude.

Last edited by petch751; 01-02-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,652,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Thank you for clarifying. Anyone can bum around if they have someone else paying all their bills.

I live at the beach and know many people who look like "surf bums," but they all have to work. Many have night jobs bartending, serving, etc and a few are fortunate enough to work from home. Rents are so high and landlords are very strict with tenents and income requirements. The days of simply piling a house full of people and taking the odd job here and there while surfing the days away are long gone.
I think this is mostly right.

But there are a growing number of people who are opting for living in vehicles/RVs. Many of them could afford a house - they just don't want to. Is what they're doing "bumming", as we used to know it? Maybe not, but frugal nomads are still with us.

If this subject interests you -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak
www.technomadia.com

Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM

The unhappy gravitate toward the Left. Life is hard for liberals and life is hard for conservatives. But conservatives assume that life will always be hard. Liberals, on the other hand, have utopian dreams.

| National Review

Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 PM

23,390 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
From talking with people who grew up in the 60s and 70s, it seems like a lot of them spent years in early adulthood without a formal job, surfing, playing music in clubs in the city, drinking, renting a small room, etc. That does not seem possible anymore. For example, if you want to be a surfer bum then I doubt you'd be able to afford to live anywhere near a CA beach anymore. Nevermind the fact that if you take 1 year off work then you will have a tremendously hard time re-entering the workforce because recruiters will throw out your resume due to a gap in your job history.
Obamacare has allowed the return of following your dream. As nancy said, you can now quit your job and be a writer or artist or photographer now that we have obamacare. Life is good thanks to obama.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Obamacare has allowed the return of following your dream. As nancy said, you can now quit your job and be a writer or artist or photographer now that we have obamacare. Life is good thanks to obama.
Yea, while the rest of us work day in and day out and pay full ticket price to subsidize them.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,344,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post

Beach property has appreciated very high especially in California .
Parts of Florida had pretty reasonable property near the beach a couple years ago last time I looked.
Areas like Daytona beach etc .

In the L.A area even a small house not even that close to the beach will be over $1 million these days or a very high rent .
Santa Monica , Venice Beach etc .

If people want to live by the beach cheaply they probably have to live out of the country these days . Maybe parts of Thailand or Mexico .

Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
From talking with people who grew up in the 60s and 70s, it seems like a lot of them spent years in early adulthood without a formal job, surfing, playing music in clubs in the city, drinking, renting a small room, etc. That does not seem possible anymore. For example, if you want to be a surfer bum then I doubt you'd be able to afford to live anywhere near a CA beach anymore. Nevermind the fact that if you take 1 year off work then you will have a tremendously hard time re-entering the workforce because recruiters will throw out your resume due to a gap in your job history.
BS....sell drugs and find someone that will let you crash for sex or some other motivation....just like in the 60's and 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies