Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Not sure what you're talking about and are providing a link describing overall migration numbers for states. Boston/Cambridge is EXPLODING. The SF-Bay area is EXPLODING with people flocking to biotech jobs. States like NJ have lost a TON of manufacturing which is why I suspect there is a net decrease in movement out of NJ.

Triangle park is in a state located in the coast too. Again, a numbers game. For ever major tech company you can find in the Mid-West there are probably 3 or 4 on the coast. That's exactly why people continue to flock to extremely expensive places like Cambridge/Boston or SF. It really isn't a secret that those areas are where a ton of jobs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Sure, whatever you say:

Go ahead and calculate the % of the cities that are on the coasts for each one of those lists. High tech workers are most certainly flocking to areas like Boston or CA because once again for the millionth time, that's where most tech work is--on the coasts. Is it possible that there may be a net migration out of say MA to TX? Sure, because US manufacturing has gotten decimated and other lower paying jobs simply can't afford to keep up with the skyrocketing costs that tons of high tech workers bring. When one high tech worker is willing to spend $900 for a 2 bedroom house in SF, what do you think that will do the 10 other blue collar or retail/food service industry workers? That'll force them out and they'll have to move to other lower cost areas like TX, KS, or AK. So indeed, there may be a net migration of postive movement to lower cost areas of the country, but don't conflate that with the fact that most highly trained people looking for the most lucrative jobs and high tech work continue to focus in on areas like CA, MA, WA, etc. That's especially true for biotech, for example.
You kept talking about people are flocking to blue cities and thats not true at all. The northeast was larger than the entire south in the 50s/60s and the northeasts growth has remained stagnant for 50-60 years while the south is now the largest region in the country with close to 1/3 of the nations population. Corporations and white collar migration has been enormous to places in the sunbelt like the research triangle area in NC, Texas triangle cities, Atlanta ,SLC, Arizona etc

That post you posted about that middle america is all drunks and hopelessness is false, most of the top fortune 500 companies dont reside in big coastal cities . The top 10 fortune 500 companies are dominated by middle america. The top one is Arkansas, the others are in Nebraska, Minnesota, 2 are in Texas and 2 are in Michigan, 7 of the top 10 companies in the fortune 500.

It all goes down the the false narrative the media is trying to spin that all trump supporters are poor and dont have college educations, when that was far more truthful in the obama victories with his "base" than the trump election. The average trump supporter was wealthier and better educated than most americans

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-exit-polls

Trump won college educated white males by a large margin, 15 points. 54 to 39%

Most white collar professionals with children don't live in americas blue cities . Our nations blue cities and places like Manhattan and Hollyood certainly influence the media and its narrative but they are not big influences on election day

Last edited by floridanative10; 01-03-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Yeah, I don't think North Dakota deserves the bashing nor did they ask to be a part of this conversation. The people who live in ND want as little to do with over crowded, crime ridden California as Californians want to do with them.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah, I don't think North Dakota deserves the bashing nor did they ask to be a part of this conversation. The people who live in ND want as little to do with over crowded, crime ridden California as Californians want to do with them.
Nah...they deserve it.

But I admire your attempted defense of North Dakota. Came up short though.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...2016-11-03.pdf

median home price in Fargo/Moorhead: $204,000

median home price in San Francisco: $1,300,000

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ince-2011.html

Gross Pay $115,000 in San Francisco after tax $72,000 net
Gross Pay $56,000 in Fargo after tax $42,000 net

18 years of net annual pay in San Francisco to purchase a home
4 years of net annual pay in Fargo to purchase a home.

I guess a Fargo median wage earning household would have to pay 4 years of net-wages to afford a home as opposed to 18 years in San Francisco.
Those are dumb homes for dumb people who have dumb jobs.

Smart people prefer to be a smart person who has smart job in smart city.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
If the ND couple is happy and fulfilled with where they are, and what they are doing, Mazel Tov, baby, Mazel Tov.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Fibonacci and Brentwood girl, I read three whole pages of just you two bickering. Seriously....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHue-HaXXzg

Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

The entire reason for this thread was to invite bashing, best way to invite a reasonable discussion is to start off with "does it bother liberals...".

Probably doesn't even belong in the political forum.

It's -6 degrees this morning in Fargo, you don't have to worry about overcrowding.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
According to this Fast food is paying $11-15/ hr in Williston, ND.

Boom helps fast-food workers bring home the Bakken

Something about oil has upset the balance of supply and demand of workers.

Williston also has one of the highest rents on a per square footage basis in the US. Then there's the need to heat your home 10 months out of the year.

One would think there would be more economic migrants from Appalachia and other long term depressed economic areas of the US.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Actually I found the Fargo prices a bit higher than expected. (I went to realtor.com to look around) I get the gist of the OP, but there are places with warmer weather, higher incomes, and lower housing prices that would make a better example.

You PAY for hip and cool.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this Fast food is paying $11-15/ hr in Williston, ND.

Boom helps fast-food workers bring home the Bakken

Something about oil has upset the balance of supply and demand of workers.

Williston also has one of the highest rents on a per square footage basis in the US. Then there's the need to heat your home 10 months out of the year.

One would think there would be more economic migrants from Appalachia and other long term depressed economic areas of the US.
That is old, it's a ghost town right now. I was just there. Btw it was actually $17 an hour at mickey dees and $15 an hour just over the boarder in Sidney MT. Waitresses were making $20 an hour.

It's proof that a shortage of workers drives wages UP. Once the oil jobs left, a lot of people hung around and took whatever jobs they could get. I know because I was workin temps up there alongside some laid off oil workers. They told me a few years ago, if you had a pulse you could make 6 figures even driving a truck.

Also while the Appalachia mtns have a bad rep for economics, it's absolutely rich with beautiful scenery. I would say it can possibly rival the west coast in it's own way. I've seen every kind of mountain from one coast to the other. There is something charming about the wooded hills of norther AL, GA, TN, and NC. Ba da ding ding ding ding bing ding ding.. Yall aint from around here, are ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies