Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 01:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Mad Max. Perfect. One of the more desolate landscapes in the entire country.

Minot, ND is used as threat in the Air Force. As in, "Do that again and you'll spend the rest of your career up in Minot."

South Dakota has the Black Hills, also known as the Badlands, where desperadoes and outlaws would hide out because few others saw any reason to live there. I believe Wild Bill Hickok was killed in South Dakota. Mt. Rushmore is their claim to fame. Though I do love the Crazy Horse Monument, if only because I admire those who follow their passions.

Another clue is the number of Indian reserations in North and South Dakota. When was the last time you ever heard of a tribe being settled on a desirable piece of property?

For those who can't be bothered to Google photos of ND and SD, take a look at the landscape around the Standing Rock resisters the next time it shows up on your TV. Look at the photo at top of this article.

Native Americans At Standing Rock Participate In Centuries Old Protest Tradition : Code Switch : NPR

Fargo isn't a bad place to live if the Red River didn't flood every decade or so.

People who live there don't care what the rest of us believe.
Correct. When Air Force guys get orders to Minot, the tears never stop falling. It's the end of the earth.

And your point about Indian reservations is well noted...and funny as all hell. LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 01:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Do you have any data to back up your assertions?
To be fair, I think most of us are wrapped up in our own movies. Heartland conservatives are no more aware of what life is like for a family living in Boston or Seattle than coastal liberals are aware of what it's like for a family living in Columbus or Des Moines.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
All the hateful and "I don't care" responses clearly indicate that this scenario does bother liberals.

Liberals would rather tax the crap out of the married couple ( they would add a marriage penalty) and then only feel good if they could give some type of government handout to augment their lives.

Of course they would mock them on national media and try to paint this couple as white trailer trash all the while trying to push unsuspected refugees into the community and drag down the education budget in which case the city will come begging for more subsidies to just survive.
I'm thinking it bothers you. You're just blaming your gripe on liberals.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
All the hateful and "I don't care" responses clearly indicate that this scenario does bother liberals.

Liberals would rather tax the crap out of the married couple ( they would add a marriage penalty) and then only feel good if they could give some type of government handout to augment their lives.

Of course they would mock them on national media and try to paint this couple as white trailer trash all the while trying to push unsuspected refugees into the community and drag down the education budget in which case the city will come begging for more subsidies to just survive.
No, I really don't think it does. I've had the privilege to live and work in a lot of different places around the U.S., from a down-trodden Rust Belt city to Silicon Valley and several places in between. Very few people are really conscious of what it's like outside their own bubble. They do what they need to do, and they expect that others are doing the same. They don't spend any spare energy being envious of that which they do not know.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
To be fair, I think most of us are wrapped up in our own movies. Heartland conservatives are no more aware of what life is like for a family living in Boston or Seattle than coastal liberals are aware of what it's like for a family living in Columbus or Des Moines.
Except that many coastal liberals grew up in more desolate areas. Still go home for the holidays where the hang out with high school classmates who are still working at the gas station or teaching at the local public school.

There are the occasional big city types who retreat to the country as well.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Except that many coastal liberals grew up in more desolate areas. Still go home for the holidays where the hang out with high school classmates who are still working at the gas station or teaching at the local public school.

There are the occasional big city types who retreat to the country as well.
Okay, you got me there. In fact, I'm one of them, although I don't hang out with classmates, just family.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Odd, because that's where the jobs are being created. NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, Orlando (these are liberal blue cities, no matter where they are located). There are more jobs where there are more people and over 50% of the country lives in urban areas.

And, frankly, how do you explain that we constantly heard from those for Trump that they were angry and complaining about the lack of good jobs? They are either well off and just complaining for the hell of it, or there are no jobs where they live. Which is it?

You poll is based on exit polling--notoriously unreliable. I'll stick with statistics. Please stop blaming the media for reporting facts. The 'narrative' is a Trump and alt-right concoction so there is an enemy to blame.

People who are doing well are happy with the economy as it is, and do not need Trump to screw it up.

Forbes Welcome

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump | FiveThirtyEight
There is nothing odd about it, 7 of the top 10 fortune 500 companies are located in the middle of the country in places like texas and most white collar americans (especially with kids) live in the suburbs, not urban areas. The truth is most college educated whites (especially college educated white males) dont vote democrat and havent for a long while. Democrats havent won the majority of college educated whites in a very long time

Democrats havent won a white majority in over 40 years. Republicans have been winning the majority of college educated whites since 1956 and especially since the 1960s , but the media doesnt like to report much on this fact. They love to talk about low income voters elected trump and its not true, but they didnt mention the low income/ low education demographics for obama when obama won and that was one of the main reasons for obamas victory.

Whats interesting with the exit polls is that most of them being reported by people like nate silver with trump winning college educated white males by a very large margin, 15 points (54 to 39% ) when Silver thought trump might be the first to lose college educated whites in over 60 years.

Trump May Become The First Republican In 60 Years To Lose White College Graduates | FiveThirtyEight

Last edited by floridanative10; 01-03-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 736,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wondering if San Francisco and Los Angeles liberals are bothered that a married couple lives a much better life answering phones for a call-center in Fargo then they do on $150,000 a year in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

The elite coastal liberals with those long commutes through declining infrastructure, getting up at 5am and getting home at 7pm. Bumper to bumper traffic. Also, many have tremendous amounts of college debt to pay off and can't even buy a little, old shack.

Pretty sad, that many of hyper-educated, high-powered households in the Bay Area can't even afford what people doing a typing test and answering phones can have in North Dakota.

Then again, North Dakota is Republican and California is Democratic so it is to be expected.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=96...tl99p&from=web

I just saw this job posting a husband and wife can walk into a job in Fargo with minimal skill and take home nearly $28 an hour.

Many of the technical support jobs in Fargo would pay that same husband and wife over $30 an hour in the land of cheap apartments.

2605 12th St S, Fargo, ND 58103 | MLS #16-6144 | Zillow

Then they go back to a 2,700 square mansion by San Francisco and Los Angeles standards and pay their $733 mortgage.

I wonder how much San Francisco and Westside Los Angeles liberals have to make for a 2,800 square feet home?

North Dakota thanks to the ultra-low taxes. The married couple would be left with $46,000 of their money.

With Jerry Brown in California that same married couple would be left with about $43,000.
I guess you have never heard of "cost of living" before.

Also, a mansion would not have a mortgage of $733 so I can safely assume that you are not a home owner as well.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
North Dakota thanks to the ultra-low taxes.
Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with all that oil.

http://247wallst.com/energy-economy/...kotas-economy/
"Oil taxes provide 42.3% of the state's total net revenues, nearly four times the individual income tax and more than eight times the revenue received from corporate income taxes."

Next thing we know y'all will be praising Saudi Arabia on its "low tax policies."

Last edited by le roi; 01-03-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Wondering if San Francisco and Los Angeles liberals are bothered that a married couple lives a much better life answering phones for a call-center in Fargo then they do on $150,000 a year in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

The elite coastal liberals with those long commutes through declining infrastructure, getting up at 5am and getting home at 7pm. Bumper to bumper traffic. Also, many have tremendous amounts of college debt to pay off and can't even buy a little, old shack.

Pretty sad, that many of hyper-educated, high-powered households in the Bay Area can't even afford what people doing a typing test and answering phones can have in North Dakota.

Then again, North Dakota is Republican and California is Democratic so it is to be expected.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=96...tl99p&from=web

I just saw this job posting a husband and wife can walk into a job in Fargo with minimal skill and take home nearly $28 an hour.

Many of the technical support jobs in Fargo would pay that same husband and wife over $30 an hour in the land of cheap apartments.

2605 12th St S, Fargo, ND 58103 | MLS #16-6144 | Zillow

Then they go back to a 2,700 square mansion by San Francisco and Los Angeles standards and pay their $733 mortgage.

I wonder how much San Francisco and Westside Los Angeles liberals have to make for a 2,800 square feet home?

North Dakota thanks to the ultra-low taxes. The married couple would be left with $46,000 of their money.

With Jerry Brown in California that same married couple would be left with about $43,000.
I don't understand your post at all. Everyone knows that beautiful places with great weather become crowded and the COL rises. Ugly places with crappy weather always remain affordable. I live in an ugly city with terrible weather and the only thing going for it is that it's cheap.

How is it that you don't think people living on the coasts, or living in North Dakota, haven't weighed those factors when deciding where to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies