Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Once again you conflate academic vs. actual industrial research. Why do you think soooooooooooooooooo many people flock to the coasts? Because that's where the vast majority of industrial jobs are. Shall I post the multiple links that clearly describe where the most major biotech hubs are for a 3rd time?

But they aren't flocking to the most coasts especially not the colder areas. They are flocking to middle American places like texas and North carolina. Places like New jersey and Connecticut has big pharma presences and they are losing people in droves

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
YES IT IS ABOUT VENTURE CAPITALIST DOLLARS and commercial money. Do you have any idea how much money it takes to get to the clinic to actually treat a patient? Academic research is nice, but even a massive institution like Harvard, Anderson, etc. can't even afford to run big trials. Guess who has to step in at that point? And tell me, where are a ton of those players that step in?

Eli Lilly is headquartered in Indiana, Abbott Laboratories is headquartered in Chicago, Glaxos North American headquarters are in rtp area in north carolina I believe, I know its biggest North American research and development site is in rtp area. These are some of the biggest pharma companies in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
I have no dog in this fight, and don't really know anything about children's hospitals, but I asked a doctor friend of mine about St. Jude (because of their commercials), and he rolled his eyes.

He said he would send his child to Boston if it ever came to that.

He is a staunch Republican.

Take all of that for what it's worth.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
They are flocking to middle American places

Eli Lilly is headquartered in Indiana
To be fair, Eli Lilly never "flocked" anywhere.

There are in Indianapolis, right where they were founded in 1876, by, well, Eli Lilly.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:17 PM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
#1 Wrong. Open the link. There's more in there.

#2 Your anecdote is nice, but doesn't dismiss the CDC's findings.

#1 So you weren't capable enough to post the correct link. Great job. The CDC shows NO significant difference in binge drinker rates between the Rust Belt and the New England states.

#2 A smart person may be able to understand that the CDC did not actually say what you claim it did. Is that your exhaustive list for why alcoholism rates are higher I some locations - "there's literally almost nothing to do."

Could you expand on your list and add things like culture, economy (unemployment), racial, climate, and etc...factors into alcoholism rates?

How does your brilliance explain that Hawaii has one of the highest binge drinker rates, but a lot to do?

Idaho has lower binge drinking rates than California, Florida, or Connecticut - Idaho has more to do than those places in your estimation?

The US has alcoholism rates lower than much of Europe - do you argue that Europe just doesn't have a lot to do compared to the US?

France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, and etc...have higher alcohol related death rates than the US...those countries just need more to do compared to the US?

P.S. I haven't insulted any region, I am fine with them all. I suggest if you will have your elitist attitude against the Rust Belt, you should at least use better logic and correct links.

P.P.S. when you bash the Rust Belt, please let people know that you are a tolerant liberal.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Wow, $193,000 for a condo in North Dakota! That's absolutely ridiculous expensively. There are cities all over the Midwest with far better deals then that. I almost bought a downtown loft, with no HOA fees, for $190,000 in my city a couple years ago. It had just been built and was like 2,500 sq ft. 3 bed 3 bath. It was far, far nicer then that condo. A nicer condo around here will sell for $100K tops.
You can buy a 2bd+1bath condo here in West LA for about $350-500k
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
P.P.S. when you bash the Rust Belt, please let people know that you are a tolerant liberal.
I don't think there's such a thing anymore. I'd say the intolerant extreme have sucked every drop of tolerance out of the term.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I have no dog in this fight, and don't really know anything about children's hospitals, but I asked a doctor friend of mine about St. Jude (because of their commercials), and he rolled his eyes.

He said he would send his child to Boston if it ever came to that.

He is a staunch Republican.

Take all of that for what it's worth.
Just as an FYI- St Jude isn't a hospital where you can just choose to send your child. They only take patients that have some form of cancer (or other severe illness) that doesn't currently have a cure. They don't even charge the patients anything for their treatments. It's competely a research hospital. Once they develop a successful protocol for a specific type of cancer, other hospitals start using that treatment and St Jude usually stops accepting that type of patient.

It's not a place where you can walk in the front door and hand them your insurance card. They have to accept your case and then they cover the costs. I can't imagine any doctor rolling their eyes at a hospital that is curing childhood cancer while not charging the patients a dime.

I would assume your doctor friend knows that even through the "cancer researcher" in this thread does not.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
LOL, ironic, considering GSK's entire research divisions are on the coasts!

Again, tell me who developed and ran the trials for all of those medications on the top 'most prescribed' and 'most valuable' list that I provided. Once you do that, tell me exactly where those companies are located. I'll wait.
When I worked for Glaxo, they did research in red NC. Abbott did as well. One of my best friends worked in medical research for Abbott.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
But they aren't flocking to the most coasts especially not the colder areas. They are flocking to middle American places like texas and North carolina. Places like New jersey and Connecticut has big pharma presences and they are losing people in droves

Forbes Welcome

Eli Lilly is headquartered in Indiana, Abbott Laboratories is headquartered in Chicago, Glaxos North American headquarters are in rtp area in north carolina I believe, I know its biggest North American research and development site is in rtp area. These are some of the biggest pharma companies in the world

Not sure what you're talking about and are providing a link describing overall migration numbers for states. Boston/Cambridge is EXPLODING. The SF-Bay area is EXPLODING with people flocking to biotech jobs. States like NJ have lost a TON of manufacturing which is why I suspect there is a net decrease in movement out of NJ.

Glaxo's entire research divisions are on the coasts:

Our locations | GSK

AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Novartis, Roche, Merck, Sanofi, Gilead, J and J, Amgen, (and the list will go on....) all have most of their major research sites on the coasts.

Want to double check too?

R & D Locations | Pfizer: One of the world's premier biopharmaceutical companies
https://www.novartis.com/our-work/re...t/rd-locations
https://www.astrazeneca-us.com/az-in-us.html
Roche - Research & Development locations
https://jobs.msd.com/key/merck-locations-usa-jobs.html
Sanofi U.S. - Facility Locations
Gilead Locations
Johnson & Johnson in New Brunswick, NJ 08933 - NJ.com
Locations | Amgen

Triangle park is in a state located in the coast too. Again, a numbers game. For ever major tech company you can find in the Mid-West there are probably 3 or 4 on the coast. That's exactly why people continue to flock to extremely expensive places like Cambridge/Boston or SF. It really isn't a secret that those areas are where a ton of jobs are.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
When I worked for Glaxo, they did research in red NC. Abbott did as well. One of my best friends worked in medical research for Abbott.

That's right *worked* as in past tense. All of their R and D are now on the coasts. And that's exactly why people flock to extremely expensive areas like the NE corridor or California. We can debate this ad naseum all you'd like, but the numbers speak for themselves. NC voted for Obama and is no where near a guaranteed GOP stronghold anymore.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
That's right *worked* as in past tense. All of their R and D are now on the coasts. And that's exactly why people flock to extremely expensive areas like the NE corridor or California. We can debate this ad naseum all you'd like, but the numbers speak for themselves. NC voted for Obama and is no where near a guaranteed GOP stronghold anymore.
People are not flocking to Boston or the NE. Massachusetts has fallen from the 9th largest state to the 15th. And projections show Tennessee will pass it around 2020. The census bureau calls bs on your claims.

Nc voted for Obama in the 2008 election only. They voted for Romney in 2012 and Trump this year. And Raleigh is not exactly "on the coast." It's pretty close to the center of the state.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 01-02-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies