Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

A good example is the Hyundai Christmas Commercial. Can you tell who is more feminine in this video?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AJbq/hyundai...holiday-spirit

Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
You're conflating masculinity with being a redneck. Go spend some time with real Chicagoans, Philadelphians, Baltimoreans, Clevelanders, even New Yorkers and Bostonians.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Is it due to the man purses you've seen?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:13 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Not a fallacy at all. I have earned my living in sports for over 40 years and will tell you that sports is simply a microcosm of the general population.

Trump had support from some in boxing for example because he has been a friend to the sport. Hillary and Trump were pretty equal when it came to endorsements, Hillary had more HOF members and a much higher percentage of black athletes which of course make up two thirds of the NFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...res_and_athlet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sports_figures

We will have to agree to disagree here. I think many with public personas were shamed into logeing their support behind Hillary out of fear of social media and the press.

I actually listened to radio interviews given by both Bernard Hopkins and Meta World Peace, telling the host that Hillary was just going to take their money.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Seems a bit of a gross generalization...

Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Yeah but what does "left" and "right" refer to?

They're French terms that date back to the French revolution, and where people would organize themselves into two groups. Terms like "far left, far right, left wing, and right wing" are meaningless. The left and right referred to two groups who met at the national assembly. The left and right was the perspective of the French president when looking at them.

My grandfather was a confused libertarian that called himself a liberal. He was so cheap the man's wallet creaked when he opened it. So needless to say he was fiscally conservative. However socially he didn't seem to care what anyone did so long as they didn't get in his way. Socially liberal.

Think about it. Where do most blacks in their late 30's and above sit? Liberals? None that I've known.
Left and right meaning supporting Democrat platforms or Republican platforms. As far as asking me about blacks in their 30's being Liberal, I really am not going to label them (I hate labels) other then the fact an overwhelming majority support Democratic policies.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:19 AM

638 posts, read 310,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You're conflating masculinity with being a redneck. Go spend some time with real Chicagoans, Philadelphians, Baltimoreans, Clevelanders, even New Yorkers and Bostonians.
I don't know about Cleveland but I've either been to or lived in the rest. Where did you think I was getting my references? No, being a masculine gentleman is not "being a redneck". But the males in those cities in general behave and carry themselves like women.

Maybe it's hard to tell because of the other thing I mentioned, and that is liberal women exhibiting masculine traits?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Seems a bit of a gross generalization...
Were you expecting me to critique all males in the vicinity of the major cities? Generalizations are used to make points, but you're welcomed to go door to door with a legal pad if you like.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
I'm not trying to troll or be insulting, really. I'm just calling it as I see it from a general perspective.

Most conservative men I know look at liberal males and think the same thing. For a while there I couldn't tell liberal males from gay men. Then I realized the difference. Gay men are actually MORE masculine, generally speaking. Gay men tend to spend more time in the gym, and are a lot more alpha than liberal males in general.

It's very odd, because 20 or 30 years ago it was not this way.

As far as liberal women? Well, I'm only observing from a distance. I generally won't interact with them if I can avoid it. Because the masculine traits they seem to adopt are rather obnoxious, so I don't really engage them. I don't hire them, wouldn't work for them, and absolutely would avoid adding them to a team.

So the point is I understand why some people might gravitate toward the liberal ideology. I don't agree with it, however it makes sense. But where is the behavioral stuff coming from? Daddy spend too much time on the golf course? Feminist mommy emasculate your divorced daddy a little too much in front of you? What is it?

Again, I'm sorry if this insults you as a liberal but I can't help what I see. Help me understand why this odd role reversal is occurring. I realize some might not agree with my observations 100%, but I don't think anyone can seriously deny this is happening 100% either. Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure it's because liberal people aren't as bothered with breaking stereotypes as conservatives are, if you're looking for a real answer.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Left and right meaning supporting Democrat platforms or Republican platforms. As far as asking me about blacks in their 30's being Liberal, I really am not going to label them (I hate labels) other then the fact an overwhelming majority support Democratic policies.
But for what reason do they support Democratic policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies