Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,207,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
huh? What is the total of your FD assessment over that 15 years? Just the FD assessment, not the total property tax, as <gasp!> part of the property tax quite likely goes to support those despicable public schools.
Over $15k.

Give me my refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM

5,046 posts, read 6,341,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Way I see it, I am owed a refund for not using services I paid for.

Nice try.
That's not how either the Republicans or Democrats see it, though.

Nice try, yourself.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Over $15k.

Give me my refund.
Given your belief that it is unfair to be forced to pay taxes for services you don't want or use, I'm surprised you moved to this area. Surely, there are places you could live with lower taxes and only the services you actually want/use.

I understand there are no taxes in South Sudan. It's every man for himself.

Might be the paradise you're looking for.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Prices cannot be that low unless you force everyone to participate.

That was the problem before Obamacare, Some people think they can just waltz into a hospital in an emergency and get "free" care.

Except is was NOT free. The hospitals had to pick up the tab,which they then passed on to the people who DID have insurance.
No. Obama care prices were to high, disallowing many not to participate, and insurance companies still lost money because hardly no one joined. It's a joke that up here in NYS one has to pay 388 dollars for a bronze plan that does not cover anything.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM

5,046 posts, read 6,341,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Given your belief that it is unfair to be forced to pay taxes for services you don't want or use, I'm surprised you moved to this area. Surely, there are places you could live with lower taxes and only the services you actually want/use.

I understand there are no taxes in South Sudan. It's every man for himself.

Might be the paradise you're looking for.
Either that, or Somalia. You only pay for what you use, and he said he could take care of himself.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
I couldn't really care less about those 20 million freeloaders . If they want insurance , they can pay out the azz for it like I do .
No, they can't. That's sorta the point, here, actually. People with pre-existing conditions used to be, literally, uninsurable. (Also, it turns out that severely ill people are really bad at holding down jobs.)

Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No, they can't. That's sorta the point, here, actually. People with pre-existing conditions used to be, literally, uninsurable. (Also, it turns out that severely ill people are really bad at holding down jobs.)
Who knew?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,048 times
I have a solution, it's call Minimalist.

Let us only buy what we need, and not what we want.

Minimalist movement gains popularity as people find happiness living with less | abc7news.com

We can all find happiness and be able to afford healthcare.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,762,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Do you drive? Do you use electricity? Do you have internet access? Have you ever been hospitalized? Educated in a public school? Have clean water to drink? Have safe foods? Gotten a flu shot? Your taxes at work - pooled funds to provide services and benefits to the country as a whole. You can't separate out the people who you feel are 'undeserving', and you benefit directly from taxation. So, quit the moaning about being against all taxes. It is shortsighted and utterly disingenuous.
All of those things you cited though are planned and produced through communal choices, not individual choices.
If each person could individually choose how much tax money was spent on the roads they drive on, the electricity they can use, the speed of their internet, the quality of their personal education, then each of these projects would quickly become unaffordable.

And these are relatively cheap compared to the cost of individual healthcare. That is the biggest obstacle with public healthcare systems in the US. In order to implement them, just like roads, electricity, internet access, and education, people have to inherently lose some level of individual control of their own healthcare choices.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,575,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
All of those things you cited though are planned and produced through communal choices, not individual choices.
If each person could individually choose how much tax money was spent on the roads they drive on, the electricity they can use, the speed of their internet, the quality of their personal education, then each of these projects would quickly become unaffordable.

And these are relatively cheap compared to the cost of individual healthcare. That is the biggest obstacle with public healthcare systems in the US. In order to implement them, just like roads, electricity, internet access, and education, people have to inherently lose some level of individual control of their own healthcare choices.
Not exactly.

Any HC program has to have limits (like a dental plan paying for checkups and fillings, only 50% for crowns and root canals and nothing for dentures or partials). A single payer public plan with the entire US population as a pool with regulated costs and payments might be bad news for Hospitals, Insurance companies and drug companies but it would be an enormous benefit to the average American. A huge national pool and regulated costs guarantees low prices. - much like the power grid. Basic quality of care might decline (like in some nationalized countries) but mediocre care is better than none at all - especially if your are sick or injured and uninsured. I have experienced HC in many nationalized places and the quality was fine for my basic issues.

The wealthy would simply buy supplemental insurance to cover additional procedures and/or private care. This is already the way it works in much of the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies