Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times

Advertisements

Are You An Authoritarian Follower?
  1. They are highly ethnocentric, highly inclined to see the world as their in-group versus everyone else. ...
  2. They are highly fearful of a dangerous world. ...
  3. They are highly self-righteous. ...
  4. They are aggressive. Given the chance to attack someone with the approval of an authority, they will lower the boom.
  5. They are highly prejudiced against racial and ethnic minorities, non-heterosexuals, and women in general.
  6. Their beliefs are a mass of contradictions. They have highly compartmentalized minds, in which opposite beliefs live independent lives in separate boxes. As a result, their thinking is full of double-standards.
  7. They reason poorly. ...
  8. They are highly dogmatic. ...
  9. They are very dependent on social reinforcement of their beliefs. They think they are right because almost everyone they know and listen to tells them they are. That happens because they screen out sources that will suggest that they are wrong.
  10. Because they severely limit their exposure to different people and ideas, they vastly overestimate the extent to which other people agree with them. ...
  11. They believe strongly in group cohesiveness, and being loyal. They are highly energized when surrounded by a crowd of fellow-believers because it makes them feel powerful and supports their belief that “all the good people” agree with them.
  12. They are easily duped by manipulators who pretend to espouse their causes when all the con-artists really want is personal gain.
  13. They are largely blind to themselves. They have little self-understanding and insight into why they think and do what they do. They are heavily into denial.
Donald Trump and Authoritarian Followers – The Authoritarians

"On January 23, 2016 Donald Trump told an enthusiastic audience in Sioux City, Iowa:

Quote:
The…polls say I have the most loyal people. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters. OK? It’s just incredible."
How does it feel to have elected a President who openly revels in the belief that his followers will let him get away with murder?

Personally, I think it's unsettling to say the least.

How about you? What's your take? What do you think? How does it feel?

Do you consider yourself to be an Authoritarian Follower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:48 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
I think both left and right can be very authoritarian. As I've often said, authoritarianism and libertarianism are diametrically opposed...doesn't matter whether you're left or right.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
OP,

Did you get that list from the Huffington Post?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
OP,

Did you have something to add to the topic?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
I'm my own authoritarian and nobody else's.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
OP,

It's from Mr. Altmeyer's own site, although it has been posted elsewhere, not sure about Huffington Post.

He's a retired professor of psychology at the University of Manitoba, & has spent decades researching authoritarian behavior, & the patterns of behavior between authoritarian leaders & followers. Mr. Altmeyer has made some of his work, including 'The Authoritarians', available online for free on his site.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
...The concept of right-wing authoritarianism was introduced in 1981 by Canadian-American psychologist Bob Altemeyer,[2] as a refinement of the authoritarian personality theory originally pioneered by University of California at Berkeley researchers Theodor W. Adorno, Else Frenkel-Brunswik, Daniel Levinson, and Nevitt Sanford.[3]

...The phrase right wing in right-wing authoritarianism does not necessarily refer to someone's politics, but to psychological preferences and personality. It means that the person tends to follow the established conventions and authorities in society. In theory, the authorities could have either right-wing or left-wing political views.[17]

...Right-wing authoritarianism is defined by three attitudinal and behavioral clusters which correlate together:[14][15]
  1. Authoritarian submission — a high degree of submissiveness to the authorities who are perceived to be established and legitimate in the society in which one lives.
  2. Authoritarian aggression — a general aggressiveness directed against deviants, outgroups, and other people that are perceived to be targets according to established authorities.
  3. Conventionalism — a high degree of adherence to the traditions and social norms that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its established authorities, and a belief that others in one's society should also be required to adhere to these norms.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righ...thoritarianism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Altemeyer

Old 01-03-2017, 04:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
It seems to fit Trump, Hillary and Obama.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
He may have spent years studying, but I don't think he learned much.

I'm a Republican. And every word I read in your link could have been said about the Democrats with the Obamcare cram down, ACORN, Black Lives Matter, NeverTrump movements, Executive Actions, empty threats, and angry outbursts.

Bob Altemeyer, the author, is a man trying to sell an idea.
There are no new ideas in the book, and no ideas that apply only to Republicans, even though he tries.

Mostly he tries to proclaim the intellectual superiority of the Democratic voter.
Lotsa luck.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Man I tire of these stupid progressive "categorize and dismiss" BS.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It seems to fit Trump, Hillary and Obama.
These are also from Mr. Altmeyer's site, he asks, 'how do you think he would truthfully respond to the following items on a psychological test?' He's speaking about Mr. Trump, however one could consider how anyone else would respond:

Quote:
“It’s a mistake to interfere with the ‘law of the jungle.’ Some people were meant to dominate others.”

“Winning is not the first thing. It’s the ONLY thing.”

“If you have power in a situation, you should use it however you have to, to get your way.”

“I’d be cold-blooded and vengeful, if that’s what it took to reach my goals.”

“Money, wealth, and luxuries mean a lot to me.”

“I enjoy having the power to hurt people when they anger or disappoint me.”

“It’s a dog-eat-dog world where you have to be ruthless at times.”

“I enjoy taking charge of things and making people do things my way.”

“I like other people to be afraid of me.”

“I will do my best to destroy anyone who deliberately blocks my plans and goals.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies