Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times

Advertisements

They did not expect the Blue Wall to tumble like the walls of Jericho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, Trump didn't have to pick such horrible people for his cabinet, so really, is it anyone's fault but his?

Nope.

I'd say that no matter which party changed this rule. They probably never counted on a narcissistic megalomaniac for a president.
Of course they counted on it, their very own narcissistic megalomaniac was in charge when the changed the rules.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Of course they counted on it, their very own narcissistic megalomaniac was in charge when the changed the rules.
The reality distortion field that makes people see all these horrid things in Obama is really a hoot.

Maybe he's not been the most effective president in US history, but he's hardly a Trump Train Wreck. He's intelligent, articulate, and he tried to work with the crap Congress we gave him.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The reality distortion field that makes people see all these horrid things in Obama is really a hoot.

Maybe he's not been the most effective president in US history, but he's hardly a Trump Train Wreck. He's intelligent, articulate, and he tried to work with the crap Congress we gave him.
He had full control of the Congress with supermajorities the first two years. He alone decided to wage war on half the country by abandoning all semblance of cooperation and compromise. That's why the Democrat Party turned into a fringe party relegated to large cities and the coasts.

If I were a liberal, I'd be disgusted by Obama for what he did to my party and the progressive movement. Most liberals aren't that sophisticated though. They are still stuck in the hero worship phase.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
He had full control of the Congress with supermajorities the first two years. He alone decided to wage war on half the country by abandoning all semblance of cooperation and compromise. That's why the Democrat Party turned into a fringe party relegated to large cities and the coasts.

If I were a liberal, I'd be disgusted by Obama for what he did to my party and the progressive movement. Most liberals aren't that sophisticated though. They are still stuck in the hero worship phase.
I'm not a Democrat. I'm not a liberal. I'm an independent.

I lean liberal on social issues, and Obama has satisfied me with his progress in that area.

I'm not keen on what happened with regard to ISIL or the ACA, but I generally feel he's been an adequate president.

His approval ratings really aren't low and I guess that just upsets people who don't like him and/or are white nationalists, but we're headed into an administration with a president-elect whose ratings are abysmal.

And I will be very surprised if he EVER has decent ratings.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Reid shot his own party in the foot......good job! Trump can just sit back a rep the benefits of the things the Dems didn't think through!
Democrats can think? Really?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Democrat. I'm not a liberal. I'm an independent.

I lean liberal on social issues, and Obama has satisfied me with his progress in that area.

I'm not keen on what happened with regard to ISIL or the ACA, but I generally feel he's been an adequate president.

His approval ratings really aren't low and I guess that just upsets people who don't like him and/or are white nationalists, but we're headed into an administration with a president-elect whose ratings are abysmal.

And I will be very surprised if he EVER has decent ratings.
He has been an absolute disaster as President. Trump probably will be too, but nobody really knows how that laboratory experiment will end. I'm hopeful until he dashes all hope.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:

What complete and utter nonsense. this "fact" gets repeated over and over. Problem? Its not true.

72 days. Not 2 years. 72 days. Republican math.

This covers your nonsense:
The Myth of the Filibuster-Proof Democratic Senate - San Diego Free Press

And those 72 days? Only if no one went to the other side. They ABSOLUTELY knew what they were doing. The Republicans were making it impossible for a government to function. Period. Might they be on the other side later? Yup. It was discussed. AT LENGTH. But the bottom line is....we needed a functional government, and the GOP wasn't.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What complete and utter nonsense. this "fact" gets repeated over and over. Problem? Its not true.

72 days. Not 2 years. 72 days. Republican math.

This covers your nonsense:
The Myth of the Filibuster-Proof Democratic Senate - San Diego Free Press

And those 72 days? Only if no one went to the other side. They ABSOLUTELY knew what they were doing. The Republicans were making it impossible for a government to function. Period. Might they be on the other side later? Yup. It was discussed. AT LENGTH. But the bottom line is....we needed a functional government, and the GOP wasn't.
I didn't say filibuster proof, I said supermajority. And even after Scott Brown was elected, your woeful party still had 59 Senate seats. That is a supermajority. That didn't stop your feckless and hopeless party of extremist wingnuts from nationalizing 18% of the economy through budget reconciliation. All the more laughable because would it really have taken much to get RINOs like Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Lisa Murkowski, etc. on board?

The government was absolutely functional with douche nozzle Harry Reid changing the rules at will to enact Obama's awful agenda. The problem Reid, Obama and apparently you have is that you still haven't figured out that the agenda and the way it was enacted has been completely rejected by reasonable people. That's why you're responsible for President Trump. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
But, Trump didn't have to pick such horrible people for his cabinet, so really, is it anyone's fault but his?

Nope.

I'd say that no matter which party changed this rule. They probably never counted on a narcissistic megalomaniac for a president.
Are you talking about Obama? Because that was the ONLY way to get Obama's cabinet in the WH... and you're right... they really were HORRIBLE people in Obama's cabinet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies