Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:23 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Considering starch turns to glucose in the bloodstream pasta and crackers are only marginally better for you.

Yep, where's the potato tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Care to explain if a sin tax is in fact a tax, because last time I checked, it was a tax just like sales taxes.
LOL Your post is a joke. Now you're arguing about the name of a tax? Because 6% is just like 100% right? hahahahahahahahaha

Quote:
Just because you justify one but not the other doesn't make them any different.
It's not about me, it's not about justifying a tax. It's about you deflecting.

Quote:
Both are taxes, and you need to learn the definition of deflection because pointing that out isn't a deflection, it is just stating a fact..
You keep deflecting. Sales tax and sin tax are different. That's the truth

Quote:
I also question your use of the word perverted....that and taxes don't typically go to there....you are making this conversation into something really weird, really fast.
No that's you doing more deflecting. Your post is getting worse and worse.

Quote:
I am guessing you are referring to a comment that I made about cigarettes, and no, that isn't a huge tax when you look at the health costs of those that smoke cigarettes cost the taxpayers.
No that's your misguided perception, yet again. When one cannot discuss the topic, which is the extremely high sin tax because they've been made to look silly the thing to do is make things up and deflect.

Quote:
As for this sugary drinks tax that Philly is trying to do, no, I don't think that is a huge tax, and I think more cities and states should add that tax.
And that's why you're getting laughed at. A tax doubling the cost isn't high at all? hahahahahaha

Quote:
So you cannot understand someone making a comment on someone else's use of sarcasm to deflect? That is what is laughable if you don't understand that.
What's laughable is you thinking that I don't understand things. More deflection by you.

Quote:
Suggesting that we should jail people over this is in fact laughable, even if it is nothing more than a poor attempt at sarcasm to deflect.
No it's not. That's just your sour grapes because you are looking foolish over people going to jail over soft drinks hahahaha This is getting better the deeper I get into this post.

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware that we do not live in a perfect country and there are many things that contradict itself. Yes, we should heavily be regulating prescription drugs because most of them are extremely dangerous and shouldn't be given to people. I also think we should be heavily regulating the entire drug industry to prevent them from trying to push drugs onto people through things like advertising and such. This thread is just about a sugary drinks tax, but if you are interested in having a conversation about the dangers of the drug industry, I am happy to do so in another thread, no point in trying to derail this thread.
hahaha You';re the one derailing this thread by making things up so you wont look silly.

Quote:
Making access to higher education by reducing the cost of it is an important factor when it comes to educating people, that is also a different topic, but something that needs to be taxed, just made easier for people to obtain.
You keep missing the point which is funny.

Quote:
You know exactly what is bad for you, but again a sin tax is no different than a sales tax because both are applied at the sale of an item. In Oregon, we are taxing marijuana, I am completely fine with that as well since it makes more sense to tax it than to have it be illegal.
lol Of course it is different. Since when is 6-8 % like 100%? You haven't figured it out that people are balking because of the extremely high amount? Why are you even in this discussion then? Except to deflect and steal our money for your causes.

I wonder if you've figured out yet that the sales tax is already on the soft drink?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 01-06-2017 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
So...the government uses our tax money to subsidize the corn crop. Therefore high fructose corn syrup is used in everything.

Then they tax people on that?

Why can't the government just kill itself? Oh wait, they already did last November.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
There's a $5 toll to cross the bridge from NJ to Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What it will do is hurt small business in Philly. People will just go across the river to buy their stuff.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If they could tax every breath you took, they would!
Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take, I'll be taxing you
Every single day and every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay, I'll be taxing you

Oh, can't you see you belong to me...

I couldn't resist.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I love it. I hope more liberal cities pull this crap.
Just don't whine when the medical bills come due. Sugar is cheap. The obesity it creates costs us all much more.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
There's a $5 toll to cross the bridge from NJ to Philly.
This is such a draconian tax it would take just a few purchases to come out ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies