Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,043,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I agree with those who say this has nothing to do with Obama.

Macy's has not changed with the times. Their management is to blame.
Yeah, I am a Trump voter and do not like Obama, but people like this poster give the conservative movement a bad name.

Use your head people, read the articles, don't blame everything on Obama, as bad as he is, Macy was probably destined to fail eventually. Companies rise and fall, in good times and bad times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:51 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,165,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
If you read the thread, I clarified it way back. That incident isn't closing those stores all by itself. BUT, it was that ridiculous and irresponsible behavior on the part of their CEO that has EXPEDITED their doom. This was coming either way. 300% mark-up on crap sewn by Chinese slaves abroad or illegal immigrants domestically, much of which is eaten up by real estate and advertising, is not a business plan. Macy's stores are too large, and they sell too much junk. Their mall space comes at an outrageous cost, and that's just not sustainable against e-tailers that sell the same things at half the price due to lower overhead.

There's a reason why stores like Neiman's aren't suffering as badly. They sell high-end merchandise that can't be found online, or is impractical to buy online. No one wants to buy a $5000 Brioni suit from Amazon. Macy's never understood that the high-end merchandise does better locally than the discount clothing. Because people wearing discount clothing are wearing the price, and their price can easily be beaten with a browser.
So...you're acknowledging Macy's failing has nothing to do with Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It used to be that we never heard of these kinds of incidents in any mall. But here you are saying, oh it's just a handful of incidence.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Because it is.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,562,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think Trump is responsible, have to take the good with the bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I didn't see Carrier get punished, looks like they got a government subsidy. Maybe we can do the same to save these jobs at Macy's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
Macy's was importing more than half of its merchanize from China, If Trump is going to rise taxes on Chinese importations then Macy's is taking action before Trump can cause them more damage. cutting Labor liabilities and reducing inventories to the mínimum so the new taxes planed by Trump's Protectionist Proyect won't lead Macy's to Bankruptcy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
And I guess WalMart is going to follow.

Walmart has not publicly slapped Trump.

Macy's cuts ties with Donald Trump

The free market working well. Bailouts using stolen taxes..... Fascism

Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,978,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Yeah, I am a Trump voter and do not like Obama, but people like this poster give the conservative movement a bad name.

Use your head people, read the articles, don't blame everything on Obama, as bad as he is, Macy was probably destined to fail eventually. Companies rise and fall, in good times and bad times.
I don't want to say it is "all" obamas fault, but at the same time why did this happen ? What did macys do for this to happen? They have online departments.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 682,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so the workers who didn't vote for trump will magically keep their jobs?

how will macy's know which workers voted for which candidate?
Executives mostly voted for Hillary, and they seem to keep their incomes.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,678,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
So Macy's couldn't figure out how to make their stores/stock more attractive to consumers and that's the President's fault?

Is retail consultant part of a president's job description now?

Macy's has been out of step for years.
Their every day "stuff" is overpriced for too many markets and their upscale stuff isn't upscale enough to attract the people who have the money to spend.

I've found absolutely no reason to shop in Macy's for years now - I can find anything/everything I want/need at Kohl's, Ross, Marshall's or the local thrift shops.

I feel very bad for the people that will lose their jobs. Very bad.
But the writing has been on the wall for years.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Fear under the Obama Economy=Reduced Consumer Spending=Macys Closing Stores
No, it doesn't.

Your idol noted that this was one of the best shopping seasons in years. He wouldn't lie about something like that, would he?

People spent money.
They just didn't spend it at Macy's.

"Donald Trump is taking responsibility for this year's forecasted record-high holiday spending.
On Monday, the President-elect tweeted that the "world was gloomy before [he] won," and that, since the election, "the market is up nearly 10% and Christmas spending is over a trillion dollars.""

Donald Trump Takes Credit for Stock Market, Christmas Holiday Spending | Fortune.com

Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 682,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Walmart has not publicly slapped Trump.

Macy's cuts ties with Donald Trump

The free market working well. Bailouts using stolen taxes..... Fascism

Slapping a Candidate and being harased by that is quite undemocratic, that is Totalitarism, the core isue is tax that Trump is setting up for chinesse and Mexican Importations.

You just wait.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't previous years lead up to this? Oh well . I hope the best to those effected with the layoffs.
The press release specifically said that the closings are a result of poor store sales in November and December 2016.

"Macy's announced that sales at established stores fell 2.1 percent in November and December compared to the same period in 2015."

Macy's Closing Stores, Cutting Jobs Amid Weak Holiday Sales : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
What does this have to do with Obama? It is the consumers' fault in a sense for not spending money at Macy's and spending their money at other places and online sites like Amazon. This is just capitalism, where there are winners and losers, and right now, Macy's is the loser.

I figured this is something Republicans would be okay with, do you think the Federal Government should prop up Macy's or something? What exactly did you think Obama would be able to do for Macy's to keep them from closing stores?

Did you hear Borders also went out of business, as did just about every CD music store.
Interestingly, lost in all of this is the statement by the Macy's CEO that their online sales were actually good.

From the NPR link I posted earlier:

"Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren said the number of shoppers at its stores continues to decline, but its online business performed well."

People have embraced online shopping.
The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies