Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

Angry over a sharp gasoline price hike that took effect on New Year’s Day, hundreds of Mexicans continue to block highways, burn tires and seize gas stations across the country.

As of Thursday morning, 250 stores had been looted and 170 were closed or blockaded in all of Mexico, according to the National Association of Self-Service and Department Stores.

At least 430 protesters were detained on charges of vandalism, including four police officers according to El Universal.

Looting in Mexico spiraling out of control over 20% gas hike; 430 arrested | Fox News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbiEOp126yg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM

30,163 posts, read 11,795,579 times
That is a huge problem in Mexico. The people are finally standing up to their corrupt government.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Good. Maybe the petulant "Latino rights" crowd can go join them.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
That is a huge problem in Mexico. The people are finally standing up to their corrupt government.
I read that the government had subsidized oil in Mexico . Now they are open market. Prices rose and need to be adjusted. I guess it's better for them in the long run .

Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I read that the government had subsidized oil in Mexico . Now they are open market. Prices rose and need to be adjusted. I guess it's better for them in the long run .
I know a lot of people who live in Mexico. There is a big disconnect with deregulating the oil industry and what the people think is happening. All they know is they have to pay a lot more for gas and assume the government is cheating them. Which is probably the case.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
And our produce coming across the border will go up too.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

I know a lot of people who live in Mexico. There is a big disconnect with deregulating the oil industry and what the people think is happening. All they know is they have to pay a lot more for gas and assume the government is cheating them. Which is probably the case.
The Mexican consumers don't realize the extent to which the Mexican government had been subsidizing gasoline for the domestic market. They probably thought that gasoline was really supposed to be as cheap as it had been. When the subsidies disappeared, so did the relatively low gas prices. Now the Mexican consumer is cranky because he's having to pay something closer to the actual cost of producing and refining the gasoline, and he's not happy about it.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The Mexican consumers don't realize the extent to which the Mexican government had been subsidizing gasoline for the domestic market. They probably thought that gasoline was really supposed to be as cheap as it had been. When the subsidies disappeared, so did the relatively low gas prices. Now the Mexican consumer is cranky because he's having to pay something closer to the actual cost of producing and refining the gasoline, and he's not happy about it.
The Mexican government has owned the gas stations as well as having a monopoly on the production and distribution. The profited very well from it. Saying they were subsidizing Mexicans is not true.

Gas went from about the equivalent of $2.60 per gallon to over $3.00. In the US the wholesale gas price is about $1.50 right now. Add 50 cents in taxes and I pay about $2.00 where i live. The extra dollar Mexicans are paying is not exactly the real price. The government is collecting $1.50 extra off of all this. So I believe they have a right to be upset.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Why are they calling this deregulation? They just removed the subsidies, which resulted in the price spike.

Two dead and 700 arrested in Mexico following violent protests over petrol prices

While acknowledging the anger, President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Thursday he would forge ahead with the deregulated price scheme, which would do away with fuel subsidies and allow the cost of petrol to be determined by prevailing international prices.

"I know that allowing gasoline to rise to its international price is a difficult change, but as president, my job is to precisely make difficult decisions now, in order to avoid worse consequences in the future," he said in a televised address.

"Keeping gas prices artificially low would mean taking money away from the poorest Mexicans, and giving it to those who have the most."

Regarding the underlined, the president could soften the blow by lowering what the poorest Mexiacans pay to the government that was allocated to the subsidized businesses.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:35 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
And moving more to America enriches us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies