Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:53 AM

10,285 posts, read 3,892,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If we can be friends with the Saudis and the Chinese, I don't see any reason we can't be friends with the democratic Russia.

We don't need to be allies but we should be friendly to each other and find mutually beneficial grounds.
This, I hate how we cherry pick who to be friends with. Personally, I think our ridiculous sanctions against Cuba caused lots of suffering and pain for many innocent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I personally don't understand why we need enemies?

Since the end of our territorial advances, and our bordering nations, realizing we were a force not to be reckoned with, we have forced ourselves upon other nations and created one enemy after another. Woodrow Wilson passed the Nation Building Act and it gets us all up in other nations business and creates an enemy of any nation, that is not some form of democracy. He wanted us all up in the League of Nations and this One World Government idea. Now, we are in the UN, and guess what. They are trying to rule us and the people of the United States, by-passing anything our congress or the states themselves have to say about it.
Your president-elect, and Conservatives in general, treat your fellow Americans like the enemy.

That said, I agree that we can quit meddling in the ME countries any day.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Russian leaders were not our friends in 1980 either.
What about the 90ies, or you all strangely prefer to ignore it?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,327,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Russia has helped the USA many times throughout history. They let their claim to the entire west coast go for almost nothing. They sold us Alaska for a song.

They supported us in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WWI and WWII. There is no natural hatred here.
They didn't sell us Alaska as an act of good will...at the time they feared war with Britain, which controlled the seas and had a long land border with Alaska (the Yukon and British Columbia were British soil) and feared losing it ang gaining nothing in return. There were many allegations that they actually bribed some US officials to get the deal done.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Putin has a lot on Trump, perhaps his tax returns and more, and while he released it all on Hillary, he knew there is more to gain by making Trump his pawn. When has there been a newly elected president more worshipful of a Russian ex KGB agent? When have we seen a president nominate a Secretary of State so obviously designed to please that same Russian ex KGB agent?

https://qz.com/862536/photos-the-bro...rex-tillerson/

Think about Trump's ex campaign manager Paul Manafort. All Putin had to do is go through Paul Manafort, tell him he has the goods on Trump and if Trump plays balls, he won't release them.

FBI Making Inquiry Into Ex-Trump Campaign Manager's Foreign Ties - NBC News
The thing that flat blows my mind is that so many conservatives see absolutely nothing wrong with all of this.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
My, how times have changed. Anyone remember a time when liberals used to howl and screech like a gaggle of banshees being slow-roasted over an open flame whenever anyone suggested we get tough with Russia? During the Cold War, leftists used to literally have seizures over the very notion of us attempting to thwart the Kremlin's global hegemonic plans. Today, they want to wage what amounts to total war against Russia. Why? Because they stupidly and erroneously believe that Hillary, along with her rapist, scumbag of a husband, were denied the White House as a result of Russian espionage. Idiots.
So we are stupid idiots because we object to a right wing, totalitarian dictator interfering with our electoral process? It couldn't possibly be that principles are involved, could it? And, yes i would be just as outraged if i had been a Trump supporter or had the intervened on behalf of the Dems. I actually am utterly shocked that many people see this issue in political terms.
Who is calling for waging "total war" against the Russians?

Remember the Republicans in this country fully supported the eastward expansion of NATO among other things.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,410,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
The United States and "Russia" (aka. Prussia, USSR, Russia) have been allies and friendly towards one another for the majority of our nations' existance.

We had treaties and alliances signed by Thomas Jefferson. We fought side by side in WW1 and WW2.

Then Stalin destroyed US/Soviet relations with his adherence to Communism, imperialism, and abysmal human rights record.

Reagan famously ended the Cold War when reformist Mikhail Gorbechev promoted Perestroika and Glasnost.

Putin and George W. were friendly and Putin supported our anti-terrorism efforts after 9/11.

Hillary presented a 'reset button' in 2009.

From personal experience, I speak to Russians often via Amateur Radio and visit with them at IT conferences - they LOVE the united states... they are not our enemy.

So tell me liberals - why all of a sudden do we hate the Russians again? They no longer oppress their people, they embrace and encourage capitalism, and generally fight alongside us whenever major conflicts break out.

is this just an example of "the friend of my enemy (Trump) is my enemy"?
Mainly because we are a democracy, and they are a dictatorship. He has his political rivals killed as well as journalists who report on the massive corruption in Russia. If we become very friendly and "allies" with each other we say to the world that our democracy is a fraud.

And under Trump that is what it will be, a fraud. Look for a warming of relations when he is in office like perhaps not seen since the nation was ruled by Czar's.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
It is a whole lot easier for the left to blame Russia for the results of the election than it is for them to look in the mirror and examine the true reasons behind the rejection. The escalation in anti-Russia rhetoric is nothing really, just a spoiled 2 year old pitching a fit.
Domestic politics does not excuse foreign attempts to manipulate the election.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,573,449 times
You want to be friends with Russia ? Go Ahead. Move there if you like it. Don't take Trumps propaganda seriously. He's afraid because they have something on him....

Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,573,449 times
Seniors, get ready for the medicare changes. I guess that's your punishment for being an ill informed voter....Blame yourself...we'll be lucky if we aren't involved in a nuclear war under trump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies