Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
*shrug* Sure that's ridiculous, I know plenty of people that are incredibly sloppy about where they keep their guns and how they use them. Have a relative that thought it was a good idea to keep a handgun under the cushion of his couch. Worked out ok until one of their grandchildren found it and they caught him playing with it. That didn't stop them though, finally it got stolen by a contractor working in their house.

Like I was saying earlier, it's clear that the people want unlimited gun proliferation, no matter the result. No amount of death and carnage is going to change their minds on this issue. So get used to it. Look at it this way, we accept the fact the tens of thousands die on the highways every year because we want quick and easy transportation; we've come to accept that. We all have to die from something in the end, so why not simply accept the proliferation of deadly weapons as well?
Don't let the facts get in your way. Gun deaths have declined for the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Years ago, when I lived in Alaska, men carried guns around all the time.

The guns would fall on the floor, fall out of their holsters, out of the waistband of their jeans, out of their pickups...

I've seen men pull out guns to settle disagreements at work over truly minor matters.

One night at a bar, a guy shot himself in the side while demonstrating how he shot himself in the side -- same spot -- earlier in the day. Apparently, it was some sort of quick draw maneuver he was working on.

It was just ridiculous. Most of the men carrying guns around openly were dumber than a sack of rocks.

These dimwitted bozos shot themselves and others often enough that if I had been in your shoes, I would have left.

You may want to consider a Netflix account.

I'm calling complete BS.

I don't believe any of what you wrote except that people do carry firearms in Alaska.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Thoughts on open carry in places of business? Went to family video tonite to rent some movies. Noticed a guy in his late 20's wearing an automatic pistol on his hip. No flap over it........looked like if he leaned sideways it would have fallen out. I studied him for quite a while. He was oblivious to most people around him. I felt like very easily I could have worked my way past him and grabbed his weapon........I doubt he would have known I got it.......
I am as pro 2nd amendment as anyone..........but these kind of people are scary.........
Thoughts??
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Thoughts on open carry in places of business? Went to family video tonite to rent some movies. Noticed a guy in his late 20's wearing an automatic pistol on his hip. No flap over it........looked like if he leaned sideways it would have fallen out. I studied him for quite a while. He was oblivious to most people around him. I felt like very easily I could have worked my way past him and grabbed his weapon........I doubt he would have known I got it.......
I am as pro 2nd amendment as anyone..........but these kind of people are scary.........
Thoughts??
"The right of the people to keep and BEAR arms, shall NOT be infringed"

Old 01-07-2017, 09:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Thoughts??
My thoughts are that this post is difficult to read due to your grammatical challenges and rudimentary knowledge of guns. Am I being nitpicky? Perhaps. You threw your hand on the table in your very first post however and it took very little time to determine that you really aren't seeking a dialogue here. You just wanted to clutch your pearls at the sight of an openly-carried gun.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thanks. I'm a rare breed around here.

I bought my first gun at a gun show at age 12 with lawn mowing money. (I got one at age 10 for Christmas but it was crap)

I was taught RELIGIOUS gun safety.

I currently only own a pellet gun due to my proximity to police and other needs.

I've lived in Chicago.

I've lived in towns of 5,000.

Generally speaking let me sum up the gun issue in the US from a completely factual, non-partisan stance.

In Chicago, the Lincoln Park neighborhood has 1 murder per 100,000 residents annually (roughly).
Three miles away in the Austin neighborhood the rate is >30 per 100,000 residents.

Same cops, same laws, vastly different poverty and opportunities.

Gun violence is a symptom of poverty, neglect and lack of opportunity.

It is therefore a political construct that the cities blame guns instead of the root causes because it';s a cheap and politically easy target. It is wayyyy easier than providing poor areas good schools, tranist and other help.
I agree with you mostly.

Except this, "Gun violence is a symptom of poverty, neglect and lack of opportunity."

Do they HAVE the opportunity to get the SAME education that Austin gets?

Do they go to the same schools?

Who runs the schools?

"You can lead a horse to water but, you CAN'T make him drink"

Getting at a minimum of a high school education is PARAMOUNT to succeeding in life.

Getting pregnant at 15 and dropping out of high school ALMOST guarantees you will NOT get very far in life.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Years ago, when I lived in Alaska, men carried guns around all the time.

The guns would fall on the floor, fall out of their holsters, out of the waistband of their jeans, out of their pickups...

I've seen men pull out guns to settle disagreements at work over truly minor matters.

One night at a bar, a guy shot himself in the side while demonstrating how he shot himself in the side -- same spot -- earlier in the day. Apparently, it was some sort of quick draw maneuver he was working on.

It was just ridiculous. Most of the men carrying guns around openly were dumber than a sack of rocks.

These dimwitted bozos shot themselves and others often enough that if I had been in your shoes, I would have left.

You may want to consider a Netflix account.
WOW, I'm surprised there is any human life left in Alaska with all these gun incidents and such!

I'm surprised they haven't killed each other out of existence.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There are still places where you physically rent movies?
I had to check the date of this post.

No shortage of Red Boxes. I have not seen a video store in years.

Not too long ago Block Buster had 8000 outlets and 60,000 employees. Technology eliminated the concept of video stores. I miss them.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Doesn't matter. All of these big "issues" like gun rights and abortion are going to be noise compared to the wholesale attacks Trump will make on American Democracy. Will many more people die as a result of the proliferation of open carry and weapons in general? Sure, but that's what the people want. Get used to it.
"compared to the wholesale attacks Trump will make on American Democracy."

Oh my God, more predictions from the left who did such an OUTSTANDING job of predictions in this last election.

I consider the source and move on.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
No. But some days it seemed like it.

I worked construction for a number of years and then later on a crisis response team.

Alaska was something else back then. The bars closed for a short while in the wee hours of the morning, just to give staff time to sweep out and get ready for a new day.

Folks would wander outside and get into street brawls and what a mess.

I really should write some of these stories down.
Yes you really should write some of these stories down because that's what they are. Made up stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies