Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You illustrate the point perfectly. The dems have no idea what Trump said, or intends, they just criticize it.

What was made perfectly clear was that the US government would pay the construction cost, and that there were a number of possible ways to have Mexico reimburse us for the costs.

If the dems don't like that, fine, but don't start childish threads about how Trump has flipped flopped, and is going back on his promises.

Just as I was typing my last reply here, another crazy thread was posted by a dems saying we were never told that the Trump organization had debt.

Meanwhile the very source the OP provided clearly stated what all the informed people already know, that the Trump organization's debt was disclosed in Trump's financials he released.

There's no defending the childishness going on by the dems.

You could say the same thing about those that criticized everything Obama ever did.

Yes, both sides acted poorly, but without any doubt the democrats were much worse.

I say this as someone that is neither a Democrat, or a Republican.
Oh, hey..., if we are going to go on about threads and/or comments by either side that hardly deserve the time of a day, we could spend a long time complaining about that...

I'm not sure we want to take the time truly considering what Trump has said versus what will actually happen, but I am still waiting to understand how Trump's wall will be built given the practical problems that stand in the way, exactly where and/or how. Tunnels have already been proven an ongoing problem that fences don't stop. Still more fascinating is the notion that Mexico will be made to pay for it!

That Trump supporters don't seem to care whether Trump makes any good sense, let alone how else Trump can easily be criticized for his rhetoric, is also a concern. Right? Shouldn't we be a little more discerning of whomever assumes what is arguably the most powerful responsibility on the planet?

Here again, if you/we want to avoid these ongoing vague generalities about Obama or Trump, we need to be very specific, like in the case of Trump's big wall, and consider the facts. When doing so, I really have a hard time accepting that Obama is anything like Trump in these regards. Take Trump's comments about groping women, for example, -- a specific example -- compare if you dare anything of similar nature when it comes to Obama.

Consider Trump's mocking of a reporter with disability. Consider Trump's infatuation with knee-jerk Tweets. How about Trump's idea that blacks in Chicago be searched "randomly?"

Forget all we can do to criticize whatever nonsense might come from either side of the political rallies. Get down to specifics, and these differences begin to become much more clear and profound. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Nobody has to "get behind Trump" !!!
When Obama won, I surely didn't get behind him. I knew what we were in for, and sadly, it all came true.
I, and many of us, shut up and put up with it......THROUGH TWO ELECTIONS! I'm just thrilled that in my lifetime, I'm experiencing a once-in-a-lifetime event. A non-politician is now running this country, for the people, and he won fair and square. Good things come to all who wait!

It's time for non-fans of Trump to sit down and shut up. It's over for you.
I voted for Obama for many reasons, but two fairly easy to consider is the promise to overhaul our health care system and to withdraw our troops from Iraq.

If one was against Obama's direction in these regards from the beginning, obviously you were/are against Obama in general and there really is no reconciling or changing that fact, but the problem there is not that Obama failed to fulfill those campaign promises.

Compare and/or contrast with what Trump has promised, and we shall see not so much whether the left or right will change their political leanings or beliefs. Obviously that's not going to happen for obvious reasons. Instead, what we are going to find out is which side will feel these campaign promises were better kept, and for better or worse.

Trump has promised to stop Muslims from entering this country the way Obama has allowed, essentially to reduce acts of terrorism. Trump has promised a great wall between us and Mexico. Trump has promised to "drain the swamp." Trump promised to repeal and replace the ACA. He promised to put Hillary behind bars, and he promised to "make America great again."

There have already been some pretty fair evaluations about what Trump has promised versus how reality is more likely to unfold, but Trump supporters are loath to consider any of that very critically.

Nevertheless, sooner rather than later we're going to begin to see whether Trump comes through for his followers even half the extent that Obama was able to manage.

On one thing we agree, or I too can point out that I didn't need to "get behind" Obama after he was elected. I voted for Obama so that he could do what he was elected to do, and I had confidence that if anyone could manage any progress along those lines, even with a problem Congress full of Tea Party type obstructionists, Obama could. Now it's Trump's turn, and with a Congress far more inclined and agreeable toward his agenda. We shall see what Trump and this Congress will do with this opportunity to pursue their agenda. Still not sure what that agenda really is yet other than not this and not that, but again, we shall see...

Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's not the way it works. I am under no obligation to sit down and shut up in the face of acts I consider unprincipled and unjust, any more than you would be if the other major party candidate had won.
Trump is no stranger to the world of entertainment, in more ways than just a few, so it seems only fair that we also enjoy whatever other forms of entertainment we can along the way. Like say the playoff games this weekend. Rogers performance an incredible thing to watch and enjoy. The movies. The Golden Globe Awards...

So, only fair Meryl Streep skewers Trump when she gets the opportunity, obviously also a non-believer that anyone has an obligation to sit down and shut up about Trump just because now he is to become POTUS. The opposite!

Worth repeating I think...

“This instinct to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, because it kinda gives permission for other people to do the same thing,” she said. “Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.”

Then to imagine that Trump would swipe back!

I suppose this reality TV show stuff appeals to some, maybe more to Trump supporters than others, I don't know for whom this from Trump is appealing or why, but I know that for me personally, Trump is already not acting like an adult, let alone presidential. If Trump continues to tweet battle with everyone out there who thinks lowly of the man, he's got a lot of tweeting still to be done, and I suppose we've got a lot of his tweets still to come. Hard as this is to believe...

Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"Get behind Trump"?

What nonsense. I back Trump and believe his appointees and selections are exactly what America needs. But I don't feel the need to convince everyone to "get behind him", whatever that means.

The Left is never going to understand. They bought into this whole Hillary/Obama/ Hollywood Elite nonsense and they are not going to change. They are going to forever remain a party of people who feel rather than think. Conservatives don't need them in order to get the work done of repairing the country and making it better.

They should continue to vote their mind. And if it makes them feel better, they should continue to ridicule and mock and demonstrate and misbehave. It helps The Right when neutral parties see them act that way.
Though apparently from the opposite side of the fence, I mostly agree, but what of all this "elite" business when who of Trump's appointments can be considered other than elite? Even Trump is the epitome of elite! I don't understand how people of conservative leaning seem to think that somehow "elites" are strictly from the more liberal side of the fence. On the other hand, after whatever rhetoric is repeated enough times, people begin to accept it, especially those who buy into that sort of biased rhetoric in the first place.

Am I not right?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Trump faced more criticism, and vicious attacks than any other person to ever run for president, to say he can't handle criticism is not living in reality.

I completely disagree. Trump is not the type of man to enter into anything expecting to lose.

This was never about branding, he knew right from the start that his would be attacked aggressively, and that was not going to promote his brand.

Call it pure ego, or simply doing to right thing, Trump is doing this to genuinely make America great again. Whether agree with how to so do, or if he will be successful is another matter altogether.
I would love to see whatever facts or statistics you have to support the first claim made in your comment, but of course who needs to support such claims? Why bog ourselves down with the truth of these matters?

Receiving criticism, even lots of criticism does NOT mean someone can handle criticism well! Right?

I've already pointed out how and why Trump has proven himself not so worthy, and there is lots more evidence and time we could devote to demonstrating this truth even more so, but again..., why bother. Give me a good reason to bother, and maybe then, but until then, I'd just suggest we think these claims through just a bit more thoroughly, and substantiate them. Fair?

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-09-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Let's be real here"

You first.

I was sent this:

I'm noticing that a
lot of you aren't graciously accepting the fact that your candidate lost.

In fact you seem to be posting even more hateful things about
those of us who voted for Trump.

Some of you are
apparently "triggered" because you are posting how "sick" you feel about the
results.

How did this happen
you ask?

-------------------

You created "us"
when you attacked our freedom of speech.
when you attacked our right to bear arms.
when you attacked our Christian beliefs.

You created "us"
when you constantly referred to us as racists. when you constantly called us xenophobic.

You created "us"
when you told us to get on board or get out of the way.
when you forced us to buy health care and then financially penalized us for not participating.
when you lied and said we could keep our insurance plans and our doctors.

You created "us"
when you allowed our jobs to continue to leave our country.
when you attacked our flag.
when you took God out of our schools.
when you confused women's rights with feminism.
when you began to emasculate men.
when you decided to make our children soft.
When you decided to rewrite school history books and remove the truth about our founders

You created "us"
when you decided to vote for progressive ideals.
when you attacked our way of life.
when you decided to let our government get out of the silent majority.
when you began murdering innocent law enforcement officers.
when you took a knee, or stayed seated or didn't remove your hat during our National Anthem.
And we became fed up
and we pushed back and spoke up.
And we did it with
ballots, not bullets.
With ballots, not
riots.
With ballots, not looting.
With ballots, not
blocking traffic.

With ballots, not
fires, except the one you started inside of "us".

"YOU" created "US".

It really is just
that simple.
No idea what you're babbling about but let's be clear, the one person who needs to grow up is Trump. It truly is that simple.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You find out how mature someone is by how they respond when they do NOT get their way. Liberals whine, cry, need "crying rooms", therapy dogs and crayons!
Trump is a liberal now?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
That is always the fear with every politician.

My personal view is that you can tell a lot about a candidate by who doesn't back them. The establishment, and the donor class that normally back both candidates vehemently opposed Trump. That is a good sign, a very good sign.
Interesting way to look at this issue of backing, and who can argue that we all love the "underdog," the "outsider," the one who's got enough money not to need get financial backing from others? But...

There is the other side of that dynamic, much like betting on horses at the track. Money flows toward those most likely to win, and most likely to win, because they have proven themselves winners.

Lots of political wanna bes can't muster the support that is unfortunately measured by dollars in our political system today, just like everyone seems to accept that people "vote" with their dollars for the better goods and services, how should we feel about candidates that can't or don't get the backing necessary to win office?

I've always been against the corrupting influence of so much special interest money in our political system as no doubt demonstrated in threads and comments of mine about that problem too. Still, I am not at all happy about this end-around that Trump pulled off by way of having enough of his own money to simply short-circuit the process that normally gets candidates onto the political scene. I regret it's yet another billionaire "elite" rather than someone like Sanders who was counting on smaller individual donations, also more like Obama did.

If we've got to count on people who have enough of their own money to campaign for office without needing the backing of others, we've got a problem. America has a problem...

Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Bottoms up!

I'm not going to give it a rest because it's true.

That's how one angers a "liberal", tell them the truth.
Right. Cheers. You've clearly got it all figured out...

Maybe instead of giving it a rest, might you come up with something new to offer? That's really what I mean. What you think is "true" really needs to be demonstrated a little more convincingly than simple repetition and limited vocabulary. After all, isn't it the "statist" you love to go on about all about repeating the same old thing, the status quo? Just asking...

Way to anger just about anyone, I think, is by way of comments like yours that claim truth when really nothing more than insult. I could replace every reference to a "liberal" in your comments with conservative and be just as truthful after all, just that easily. Who is impressed by such and why?

I really don't know and won't waste time trying to figure that one out...

Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thank you for your input. There are very few people that I hate but Trump is one of them. I won't apologize for it.
Another interesting dynamic or emotion, hatred...

As little as I respect, don't agree with, feel let down and embarrassed by Trump, I have never felt hatred toward him. Maybe I should. I don't know, but hatred is something awfully hard for me to come by...

I hate the fact that so many people are ignorant and bigoted, intolerant of others, rude, violent, dangerous. I hate terrorists. I hate people who are out for themselves with total disregard of others.

Should I "hate" Trump in the same way? I don't know, but I agree with the general notion that we should probably refrain from "hating" those we don't agree with or don't understand, and maybe instead just try to apply other more productive feelings and approaches toward them. Like maybe attempt to better understand and act to persuade toward alternative behavior.

Right. What am I thinking. I hate the futility of believing we can get through to one another, whether there is hatred involved or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies