Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Then those Syrian Arabs NEED to become "Turks" if their kind don't wanna go back their hellhole country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Should we ban Spanish culture and Spanish language in USA?
OR should we ban English and all of us "assimilate" in the red Indian culture?
That doesn't matter since the Indians lost and, big time before any of us were born. Tho that means nada in 2017 since ALL American Indians are US citizens, even the Rez people.

Too; WHICH Indian language? There are over 100 still with us in 2017.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
well, The Moorish Alhambra and the Indian Taj Mahal show that Islamic art and architecture has definite regional variations. I know nothing about the Islam religion, but as an artist, I can say that Islamic art is damn good.

If the parents worry their kids are losing their culture, teach them their art. I sure would.

Off topic, my grandparents sent all their grandchildren overseas to study. They sent me to Japan and Germany; they sent my brothers to the UK. When I was little, I wanted my brothers' English accent, but now, I am so glad that I can speak the language. Understand different cultures is a lot of fun.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:57 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Then those Syrian Arabs NEED to become "Turks" if their kind don't wanna go back their hellhole country.
They still might harbor a hope to return to their country once the war is over and it's rebuilt.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, The Moorish Alhambra and the Indian Taj Mahal show that Islamic art and architecture has definite regional variations. I know nothing about the Islam religion, but as an artist, I can say that Islamic art is damn good.

If the parents worry their kids are losing their culture, teach them their art. I sure would.

Off topic, my grandparents sent all their grandchildren overseas to study. They sent me to Japan and Germany; they sent my brothers to the UK. When I was little, I wanted my brothers' English accent, but now, I am so glad that I can speak the language. Understand different cultures is a lot of fun.
If anything, Islam is very oppressive towards art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_art

What you witnessed most likely, were the leftovers of the regional arts (that were variable to begin with), with some common Islamic overlay.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They still might harbor a hope to return to their country once the war is over and it's rebuilt.
Not Turkey's problem. If Turkey wanted to play rough; those Syrians could be deported. Let some other Muslim Arab country take those refugees in, they're rich enough.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Not Turkey's problem. If Turkey wanted to play rough; those Syrians could be deported. Let some other Muslim Arab country take those refugees in, they're rich enough.
Turkey has its own designs on Syria I am sure - that's number one, and number two - I don't think that Syrians, hailing from a moderate Islamic country, want to reside in "rich Muslim Arab countries," the very ones that paid for Islamic mercenaries to wreck a havoc in Syria at the first place.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Americans are known the world over to never assimilate where they go. They expect everyone to speak English and understand them instead of the other way around. It's a stereotype but somewhat true.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Americans are known the world over to never assimilate where they go. They expect everyone to speak English and understand them instead of the other way around. It's a stereotype but somewhat true.
Not my problem. If some country doesn't like the way some of us act IF we're there visiting; then it's on that country to throw those people OUT.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Not my problem. If some country doesn't like the way some of us act IF we're there visiting; then it's on that country to throw those people OUT.
Or just shut up and come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to be just like you.

Especially in America where I find it extremely difficult to even figure out what that means other than to be hard working, materialistic and self absorbed. Other than those traits I wouldn't be able to give someone a tutorial on how to be "American". Unless you're meaning a white/Caucasian American specific to certain locale and income bracket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies