Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Shouldnt the minorities? Excuse me, Asians are on average the wealthiest and most highly educated race in this country-not y'all.
Actually, many African immigrant groups earn more than Asians:

United States foreign born per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
So, you do agree or disagree that the AA has a strong support system in their own culture?

And I do agree it doesn't matter what color you are everyone is equal. All of a sudden this has become a "race" issue...and this is what I mean? why don't we talk about the issue on hand w/o bringing in "racism" or "race" into it?

Obviously, if AA makes only 12% of the US population and the prisoners are 50% AA than of the jail population there are some major problems here. What do you think about that?
you mentioned all this stuff the asian community supposedly does. I know for a fact many asian communities in America are filled with gang banging dead beats. That was my only point.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
It seems to me that the blacks have never really got over the "slave" days. It seems like that an easy way to bail out and not take responsiblity. I am not racist by any means, but they are prodminatly the group that says they are "entitled" to this and that cause of their color?

I am asian and I never expect to recieve anything in life unless I earned it. In order to move forward you have to accept the past and really just get over it.

I know in my asian community we support eachother heavily in more ways than one. The priorities are based on family, education and etc... This seems to be heavily missing in the black culture. Of course, this not all blacks...I am even voting for Obama! Frankly, I am just tired of the "some" of the blacks that continue to scream "racism" when they don't get what they want.

The statistics are staggering...you can't ignore the facts. I hope that Bill Cosby should be commended for speaking out and this "real" issue.

At least a third of all homeless men are African-American.
African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.

I don't think anyone who isn't black has a good perspective on the crap those folks have had to put up with, long after the Civil Rights Act.

That said, there's a whole lot of self-destructive behavior in the black subculture that they alone have to take responsibility for.

But it's way too easy for the rest of us to point our fingers at "those people" and say tsk-tsk. And that's nothing but modified racism. That's nothing but placing yourself above them and thinking,"at least I'm not that bad." And that, my friends, is pure BS.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM

36 posts, read 112,145 times
Quote:
Recently on Oprah's show she did a segment on a book called Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors by Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint, MD

I moved to this country over 30 years ago and I always thought, very curious that the African Americans just do not take responisiblity for their own success (not all BTW). When I saw this show on Oprah, I said finally, long over due, he is saying what needs to be said. Give me your thoughts.

mod cut: text removed and link inserted

The Oprah Winfrey Show: Bill Cosby Calls Out the Dirty Laundry - Airing Wed Oct. 17 + New Book! | San Francisco | Yelp
Hey I guess since you moved to this country over 30 years ago I can say hey you and your family did not take repsonsibility of your own country or your former country is now a utopia (without you) and may you kindly recommend an African-american to go to your former country to learn responsibility.

I guess no African american can hear you since you have Oprah on full blast volume from television.

One thing a television does not have is EARS...

Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
nope discipline and accountability issued are not the monoply of that group.
ask the person who controls the wallet in most american homes.
ask the 35 year old kidult sittin on mom's couch with the skateboard & a student loan.
we all helped getting us to this point, and it will take all of us to fix it.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Actually, many African immigrant groups earn more than Asians:

United States foreign born per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm betting that many of those "South Africans" were actually white or Indian.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm betting that many of those "South Africans" were actually white or Indian.
Not just them, look at some of the other nations.

Besides, this is a much more telling and better statistic:

Quote:
On both measures, immigrants from Africa actually have the highest educational achievement rates and they also have the lowest rate of having less than a high school education.
Asian-Nation : Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues :: Demographic Characteristics of Immigrants

Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM

402 posts, read 1,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I don't think anyone who isn't black has a good perspective on the crap those folks have had to put up with, long after the Civil Rights Act.

That said, there's a whole lot of self-destructive behavior in the black subculture that they alone have to take responsibility for.

But it's way too easy for the rest of us to point our fingers at "those people" and say tsk-tsk. And that's nothing but modified racism. That's nothing but placing yourself above them and thinking,"at least I'm not that bad." And that, my friends, is pure BS.
Look, I have low tolerance for any group, color and even a person that does not take responsiblity for their own lives. This is including ppl that are on welfare that continue to abuse the system and then they are having children that are repeating the same behaviors. It even bothers me when asians come here to the US and they will not leave the asian community and not learn english. Is that racism or a form of hatred? No, it's not. What I do know is that when I saw this show on Oprah I had no idea that the statistics for the AA was so bad. So, the reason for this post.

It is very sad the history of AA of where they have been and repitition of self-destruction within their own culture. I forgot the numbers that Bill Cosby said in regards to fatherless children of AA. I was shocked! Are there other races that have the same! Of course! I am not that naive.

With that said, "this" interested me because of the "history" of AA here in the US. The portion of the "title", Victims to Victors (which is awesome) of Bill Cosby's book, I know that slavery definatly had an affect on who they are now, but I was wondering is that why they are still struggling so? And if yes, when are they going to stop being Victims and become Victors. Take a negative situation, learn and be able to say...so you can't keep me down!!!! Look what I was able to achieve! Wouldn't that be Awesome!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Not just them, look at some of the other nations.

Besides, this is a much more telling and better statistic:

Asian-Nation : Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues :: Demographic Characteristics of Immigrants

Ahhhhhhhhh...Africa, the sad thing about Africa is that they do not have the school infrastructure that we have here is the US. That's another topic, but we take education here in the US so much for granted (although, not perfect and needs much more work)

Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
nope discipline and accountability issued are not the monoply of that group.
ask the person who controls the wallet in most american homes.
ask the 35 year old kidult sittin on mom's couch with the skateboard & a student loan.
we all helped getting us to this point, and it will take all of us to fix it.
Yes, we all have responsiblity, but, YES, it certainlty start at home first!!!! Are you kidding me? It's attitude like that that's says well someone else will come in and fix this situation! Your first role models are your parents! Not the teachers or anyone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies