Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times

Advertisements

Recently on Oprah's show she did a segment on a book called Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors by Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint, MD

I moved to this country over 30 years ago and I always thought, very curious that the African Americans just do not take responisiblity for their own success (not all BTW). When I saw this show on Oprah, I said finally, long over due, he is saying what needs to be said. Give me your thoughts.

mod cut: text removed and link inserted

The Oprah Winfrey Show: Bill Cosby Calls Out the Dirty Laundry - Airing Wed Oct. 17 + New Book! | San Francisco | Yelp

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: please paraphrase and post a link instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Everybody wants to blame someone else for their failures, if a persons child is not going to school and running the streets it not anybodies fault except the parents, children are a refection of ourselves. You see it in every race and it's always the same and it's a shame.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM

According to Bill Cosby, the desperate situation of many minorities has resulted in some of these shocking statistics:
  • <LI class=bulletli>At least a third of all homeless men are African-American. <LI class=bulletli>African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population. <LI class=bulletli>According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes. <LI class=bulletli>Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
  • Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.
Frustrated by these numbers, Bill gave an unexpected, uncensored speech in 2004: "In the neighborhood that most of us grew up in, parenting is not going on," he said. "They're buying things for the kid—$500 sneakers. For what? They won't buy or spend $250 on Hooked on Phonics.

"It's not what they're doing to us. It's what we're not doing. … Brown vs. the Board of Education—these people who marched and were hit in the face with rocks and punched in the face to get an education, and we've got these knuckleheads walking around who don't want to learn English. I know you all know it, but I just want to get you as angry as you ought to be," he said.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM

According to Bill Cosby, the desperate situation of many minorities has resulted in some of these shocking statistics:
  • At least a third of all homeless men are African-American.
  • African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
  • According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
  • Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
  • Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.
Frustrated by these numbers, Bill gave an unexpected, uncensored speech in 2004: "In the neighborhood that most of us grew up in, parenting is not going on," he said. "They're buying things for the kid—$500 sneakers. For what? They won't buy or spend $250 on Hooked on Phonics.

"It's not what they're doing to us. It's what we're not doing. … Brown vs. the Board of Education—these people who marched and were hit in the face with rocks and punched in the face to get an education, and we've got these knuckleheads walking around who don't want to learn English. I know you all know it, but I just want to get you as angry as you ought to be," he said.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
To a remarkable extent, many minorities in this country ARE taking great responsibility in their own progress and welfare. Unfortunately, to much of the American media (heavily 'left-leaning' in its sympathies), this makes them less "interesting" than before, and we simply don't hear much about them after that.

A story of "rage in the ghetto" is ALWAYS colorful and fascinating....but the prospect of affluent members of racial minorities living quiet lives in the suburbs just isn't interesting......so the attention continues to focus on where the 'problems' lie. not on the folks who've taken charge of their own lives.

Who wants to waste their time reading stories about happy, prosperous, intact families, when you can read about crime, family dysfunction, and violence?..

Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
To a remarkable extent, many minorities in this country ARE taking great responsibility in their own progress and welfare. Unfortunately, to much of the American media (heavily 'left-leaning' in its sympathies), this makes them less "interesting" than before, and we simply don't hear much about them after that.

A story of "rage in the ghetto" is ALWAYS colorful and fascinating....but the prospect of affluent members of racial minorities living quiet lives in the suburbs just isn't interesting......so the attention continues to focus on where the 'problems' lie. not on the folks who've taken charge of their own lives.

Who wants to waste their time reading stories about happy, prosperous, intact families, when you can read about crime, family dysfunction, and violence?..
I am not saying that they are not. In order for change, you first have to be truthful, take responsiblity and then change can come.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM

• African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
  • According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
  • Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 42,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post

Unfortunately we have a whole group of people like Reverends Al and Jesse, that live off of, and thrive from this notion of victimhood. Some blacks do not subscribe to this, though if you hear something often enough, then it becomes the truth.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER04 View Post
Unfortunately we have a whole group of people like Reverends Al and Jesse, that live off of, and thrive from this notion of victimhood. Some blacks do not subscribe to this, though if you hear something often enough, then it becomes the truth.
It's not just any one minority group- I'm so tired of hearing about how we have to bail out people with sub-prime adjustable rate mortages now that they can't afford their payments anymore. Whhaa whaaaa. How can they be victims? Who forced them to get those loans? Everyone needs to take responsibility and stop whining.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It's not just any one minority group- I'm so tired of hearing about how we have to bail out people with sub-prime adjustable rate mortages now that they can't afford their payments anymore. Whhaa whaaaa. How can they be victims? Who forced them to get those loans? Everyone needs to take responsibility and stop whining.
It seems to me that the blacks have never really got over the "slave" days. It seems like that an easy way to bail out and not take responsiblity. I am not racist by any means, but they are prodminatly the group that says they are "entitled" to this and that cause of their color?

I am asian and I never expect to recieve anything in life unless I earned it. In order to move forward you have to accept the past and really just get over it.

I know in my asian community we support eachother heavily in more ways than one. The priorities are based on family, education and etc... This seems to be heavily missing in the black culture. Of course, this not all blacks...I am even voting for Obama! Frankly, I am just tired of the "some" of the blacks that continue to scream "racism" when they don't get what they want.

The statistics are staggering...you can't ignore the facts. I hope that Bill Cosby should be commended for speaking out and this "real" issue.

At least a third of all homeless men are African-American.
African-Americans make up 12 percent of the general population, but they account for almost half of the prison population.
According to the U.S. Justice Department, 28 percent of black men born today will go to prison in their lifetimes.
Black youth are six times more likely to die of homicide than white youth and seven times more likely to commit a homicide.
Homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males ages 15 to 29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies