Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,091,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The wall won't solve the problem and will cost $10-15M per mile, we need to invest in our infrastructure not some boondoggle. I don't know what anyone would believe that Mexico would pay for a wall that we want.
Oh, Mexico will want the wall when faced with much more costly alternatives.

All of this pretending that the US can't compel Mexico to pay for the wall is outright childish.

We get it, you don't like Trump, but that has no bearing on the fact that Mexico has no possible way to resist paying for the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
remitances going to Canada then to Mexico.... what then.
Tax remittances leaving US.

Wall paid for.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
US Word is WORTHLESS.
It will be even less so after Jan. 20th.
For God's sake, Kellyanne Conway said as much yesterday when she explained to our great nation that we should judge “what’s in his heart” rather than “what’s come out of his mouth”.
It doesn't get more clear than that...

Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,763,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Let me help you with an analogy:

I have a neighbor and we get along alright, but there's one thing that bugs me. His dog keeps coming in my yard tearing up my flower bed and digging holes.

A better analogy here is the law of free-range land. I used to live next to a free-range area and cows that were grazing on the land used to wonder onto my land and do damage to things, like leaning against my car and putting a dent in it and breaking water pipes for irrigation (this is all true). But since it is free-range land the obligation is on us to keep the cows out, not on the cow owner to keep his cows fenced in.

Another way to look at it is that Mexico is not a prison and it is not obligated to fence its citizens in.

I don't have a problem with building a fence but I think it is ridiculous that Trump somehow thinks that Mexico should pay for it.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Let's be honest here, Mexico is in no position to call the shots.
They sure seemed to be when Obama was running things.

But now, thankfully, Obama will be out of there next week and we will have a President who puts America's interests first.

The Mexicans know this and they know their weak hand too. They will do almost anything to keep the money flowing.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tax remittances going to Mexico.

Wall paid for.
Cash in an envelope, no tax.
Prepaid card available at any retailer from many different companies, not tax.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Nothing warranties Goodwill.. I call it Blackmailing
Sounds like you're afraid you won't be able to sneak back into the US. We don't care what you call it.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,023 times
Quote:
That is FAKE. US only supports War on Drugs, not anything else, and it is because Drugaddiction in USA is so big that once the Drug reaches to the Border it is like USA unable to take that Drug out of its Streets.

About keeping your flowers from my dog that is Your responsability, because it would not necesarilly be My dog but whoever else Dog is going through.
https://www.reference.com/government...238a7e5dd87a09

A bit dated, but basically shows what I said to be 100% true.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Let me help you with an analogy:

I have a neighbor and we get along alright, but there's one thing that bugs me. His dog keeps coming in my yard tearing up my flower bed and digging holes.

It doesn't really affect our friendship that much, though sometimes it gets old. I still loan him money on occasion and let him borrow my tools when he needs to. We take their kids to school when we take ours in the mornings and their kids stay at my house after school until one of them gets home from work and sometimes my wife and I watch their kids when they have their "date night", etc.

So I came up with a brilliant idea. I am going to erect a fence that will keep his dog out of my yard. I asked him if he would help with the cost, because after all, I wouldn't need the fence if his dog stayed in his own yard, but he said that was "unacceptable".

So what will happen is I will pay for the fence, but rest assured he will ultimately pay for it.
I will stop loaning him money and tools and make him buy his own. I will stop watching his kids after school and he'll have to pony up for daycare and a baby-sitter for date night. He might THINK he isn't going to pay for it, but in the end he will pay for that fence and then some just on general principle.
Excellent analogy.
This is the point Trump and his people have been trying to make: it's not about Mexico cutting a check.
Mexico will pay in so many other ways. Just the remittances that won't be sent to help Mexico's economy and that will stay in this country helping our economy are in the multi billions. American remittances are the second
highest economic resource for Mexico after oil and gas.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
A better analogy here is the law of free-range land. I used to live next to a free-range area and cows that were grazing on the land used to wonder onto my land and do damage to things, like leaning against my car and putting a dent in it and breaking water pipes for irrigation (this is all true). But since it is free-range land the obligation is on us to keep the cows out, not on the cow owner to keep his cows fenced in.

Another way to look at it is that Mexico is not a prison and it is not obligated to fence its citizens in.

I don't have a problem with building a fence but I think it is ridiculous that Trump somehow thinks that Mexico should pay for it.
It's true that Mexico is not obligated to keep it's citizens in it's country.

However, it could easily be made so that it would be in Mexico's best economic interests to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies