Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We actually have a good handle on the risks of the various vaccine preventable diseases. Data has been collected on them for along time. To use your example, measles, we know that 1 in 1000 cases will result in encephalitis, potentially causing mental disability or deafness. About 1 in 100,000 cases - though new research suggests the number may be higher - will result in sclerosing subacute panencephalitis, a fatal brain disease. Very young infants who get measles are at higher risk to get SSPE, and the first dose of measles vaccine is not given until 12 to 15 months of age. Infants under that age are a big reason everyone who has no medical contraindication should be vaccinated against measles.

Measles also damages the immune system, causing it to lose its memory for infectious diseases the person had before getting measles. That effect is now known to last up to three years.

Measles damage to the immune system could 'last for years' | Daily Mail Online

The anti-vaxers love to misuse VAERS. Anyone can report to VAERS, and such reports do not and cannot prove causation. The fact is there are no confirmed deaths from MMR vaccine. The disease itself kills one or two out of 1000 who get it. You are exactly right: the disease itself is far more dangerous. We would not use any vaccine if it were more risky than the disease it protects against.
The bold also boggles my mind with these anti-vaxxers, they use VAERS as if it is the ultimate truth and reality about what happened. They are just reports and don't 100% guarantee that anything happened to the person who got the vaccine or even if they actually received the vaccine.

Thanks for the info on encephalitis.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Per the liberal Washington Post and even your own link - scientists had a conclusion in 2008 when Obama denied science. The liberal Washington Post have Obama 2 Pinocchios for trying to cover his rear by saying that the science wasn't settled in 2008.
Oh well. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since I myself wasn't aware of the Wakefield issue until the same time frame.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:37 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We actually have a good handle on the risks of the various vaccine preventable diseases. Data has been collected on them for along time. To use your example, measles, we know that 1 in 1000 cases will result in encephalitis, potentially causing mental disability or deafness. About 1 in 100,000 cases - though new research suggests the number may be higher - will result in sclerosing subacute panencephalitis, a fatal brain disease. Very young infants who get measles are at higher risk to get SSPE, and the first dose of measles vaccine is not given until 12 to 15 months of age. Infants under that age are a big reason everyone who has no medical contraindication should be vaccinated against measles.

Measles also damages the immune system, causing it to lose its memory for infectious diseases the person had before getting measles. That effect is now known to last up to three years.

Measles damage to the immune system could 'last for years' | Daily Mail Online

The anti-vaxers love to misuse VAERS. Anyone can report to VAERS, and such reports do not and cannot prove causation. The fact is there are no confirmed deaths from MMR vaccine. The disease itself kills one or two out of 1000 who get it. You are exactly right: the disease itself is far more dangerous. We would not use any vaccine if it were more risky than the disease it protects against.

Well, since I had measles at 6 months old (not hospitalized), I supposed that is why I got all those other diseases before the age of 2, which I now have lifetime immunity to. No, the MAJORITY of our generation did not DIE or have lifetime disabilities from them.

BTW, Suzy, when I was pregnant with my own children, my OB did not worry about my unborn/young children catching measles because I HAD immunity from the disease, and breastfeeding them passed my immunity on better than any vaccination.

There are millions of us boomers walking around you who were never vaccinated for these diseases. You never like to talk about this. Unvaccinated Natural Immunity.

If you were to tell my now 38 year old daughter about the horrors of chicken pox when she was 11, she would laugh at you today, as she would have at 11. She says it was "no big deal", and have said she will never vaccnate her future children for that. You see you cannot fool the people who have had these diseases. Yes, you can spread fear among those who do not know. This is precisely why you cannot put the fear into the public about "deadly" Influenza and increase flu shot rates. The majority of the general public has experienced it and knows better than the fear tactics.

As far as Trump who is my generation, I get the feeling that he more or less thinks the same having had all these diseases himself, and lived into old age to tell about them.

If you could, I am sure you would want a vaccine for the common cold too in order to prevent all the "suffering and death", and make $$$ for Big Pharms, to prevent that too.

There can never be too many vaccines, and medications, for Americans to take. Too many other issues for me to support Trump, but Suzy I do not think you are going to have a friend in the White House promoting Big Pharms and more and more vaccines. Not ALL Seniors think your vaccines have saved them to live to Old Age.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:58 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Naturality is in process of being prohibited.

Control is order, order is control.

Normality is the power.

"We are stronger together."

Hillary is their leader.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Well, since I had measles at 6 months old (not hospitalized), I supposed that is why I got all those other diseases before the age of 2, which I now have lifetime immunity to. No, the MAJORITY of our generation did not DIE or have lifetime disabilities from them.
Good for the majority. Have you stopped to give any thought to the minority, or is there just not room for considering those less fortunate?

Quote:
As far as Trump who is my generation, I get the feeling that he more or less thinks the same having had all these diseases himself, and lived into old age to tell about them.
Surely you can see the logical fallacy here? Those whose lives were snuffed out at a young age cannot tell their story later on.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48
As a 70 year old man, you could count on one hand the number of vaccinations Trump himself has ever received. He has publicly stated he has never gotten a flu shot in his life, along with about 60% of the general public.
Yes for that HE IS SMART..... He doesnt want to end up compromising his nature immunity and end up with an autoimmune disease or something else.....

YOUR RIGHT JO. THE #S ARE WAY TOO HIGH!! (They have most ppl right in thier hands)

Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That very article, when you ignore the very biased reporters viewpoint, doesn't say that Trump is against vaccines. Trump clearly states against giving children all the vaccines in one single massive dose. He thinks it's better to spread them out.

BTW, this is the way is used to be done. Childhood vaccines were spread out over several visits.
They still are.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM

I guess that empirically, 5 out of 6 can say "If Russian Roulette was so dangerous, how come I'm still alive, Mr. Statistics-Smartypants?"

Old 01-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
He doesnt want to end up compromising his nature immunity and end up with an autoimmune disease or something else.....
Dying in one colossal cramp from tetanus is "natural", we have documented cases going back thousands of years. Getting a tetanus shot isn't.

Your pick, but don't expect me to respect your capacity for rational decision making if you decide to take your chances with Clostridium tetani.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee
This appointment of RFK, Jr. to a vaccine safety position is upsetting to me. Anti-vaccine supporters are very detrimental to the health of our country and our children. As an aside, it makes me wonder if Trump does have an autistic son. Some uneducated parents blame vaccines for autism which has been disproved definitively in numerous studies.
Of course its been DISPROVEN. Big pharma forks out millions TO KEEP THE TRUTH HIDDEN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies