Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Many blue-staters may think it doesn't exist, but when you live in an area where homophobia is deeply ingrained in the culture, it's not uncommon to even meet an atheist who is homophobic. The other night I had a conversation about homosexuality with an atheist friend and it was pretty eye opening (he doesn't know that I struggle with my sexuality nor will I ever tell him).

Most homophobes hide behind the Bible as their reason for hating the LGBT community. Yet, this doesn't tell the complete picture as the Bible has hundreds if not thousands of prohibitions and almost nothing gets people into the kind of tizzy that homosexuality does. Talking about homosexuality with this atheist gave me insight into why that is.

He is against gay people because he believes he says the natural order of evolution is for a species to reproduce and the strong to survive, and gay people are counter to that. He didn't hide behind a "love the sinner and hate the sin" mantra that most Christians do. He said he hates gay people entirely and that they shouldn't exist, and the reason for that is they are weak, effeminate men who refuse to reproduce naturally. He then went on to say if he ever has kids that are gay, he will cut them off from the family because there is no point in supporting a child who isn't going to do what humans naturally do; reproduce and further their lineage. He says homosexuality is evolution in action; the weak being cast aside while the strong reproduce.

This made me think of the general mindset of homophobia and why homosexuality bothers people so much. While I totally don't agree with my friend (I didn't tell him that though because I don't want him to suspect I might be gay), I at least respect the fact that he's honest about his opinion and doesn't hide behind religion like most homophobic people do. I think this same general mindset prevails among the religious, though they don't realize it and will never admit it. That's why out of all the prohibitions in the Bible, homosexuality gets them so much more fired up. They see it as an affront to masculinity and "survival of the fittest", a natural human instinct. This is also why minds are so slow, if not impossible, to change on this issue. The religion thing is just a front. Underneath that, homosexuality makes them extremely uncomfortable. Attacking homophobia from a religious angle doesn't address the underlying reason that person is homophobic.

I did mention I thought that homosexuality could be evolution's way of population control, as there are too many people on this planet and evolution does have a way of naturally bringing things back into balance.

Does anybody else agree? What do you think is the best answer to this mindset? It's something that will need to be addressed if minds are ever to be changed on this issue in red states. A lot of people have this idea that homophobia is on its way out and that for the most part it is accepted in 2017, but that isn't the case. A lot of people who are homophobic will never be so in the face of somebody they know is gay, but behind closed doors it comes out. My friend is actually completely civil around gay people despite being deeply homophobic. Thoughts?
My best answer would be to tell him to keep his bigoted opinion to himself. And yes, I question any person who is that against homosexuality, as to what they're really hiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Live and let live.

I have enough issues trying to nail who I want to nail to worry about others.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
There is no reason to hate someone for something they do in the bedroom that doesn't involve you and is between two consenting adults.

Nature is full of homosexual acts. Likely because screwing everything isn't a half bad strategy as eventually you'll hit the right hole and pro create. Now exclusive homo sexual acts aren't going to pro create outside of the human technological world so yes strictly speaking going all gay isn't going to get your genes passed on as an animal. Unless of course you donate eggs or sperm or perhaps you swing both ways. Society does have a need for adoption and raising others kids and they can fill that role and still be productive parents to children no one else wanted. IMO that is a bigger hero that just taking care of your own. As mentioned, there are other ways to pass on your genes if you're willing. Surrogate wombs, sperm donations, sperm withdrawals etc.

So more or less, technology has made the idea of homosexuals not being able to pass on their genes laughable. They can and do, if they choose.

People being all icky about their bed room habits need to simply get their nose out of their bedrooms.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I just don't get homophobia. I could care less what the sexual preference of another person is, and I just don't understand why others would care.

As a human, I feel people are people.

As a Christian, I accept that God made gay people gay.

As a dude, I only care if you're pleasant to be around.

I don't mind if you're flamboyant as well.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP, either homosexuality is healthy, normal behavior or not. That is the bottom line. Obama did a good job queerifying America, even so there are still many Americans that don't want homosexuality force fed to them...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...07_964x753.jpg

Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
Atheism is a myth, it doesn't exist.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, either homosexuality is healthy, normal behavior or not. That is the bottom line. Obama did a good job queerifying America, even so there are still many Americans that don't want homosexuality force fed to them...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...07_964x753.jpg
Maybe it's because of where I live (Houston), but I never encounter gay people trying to force their lifestyle in front of me.

Houston had the HERO issue, but that was an anomaly.

Being upset about homosexuality is pretty gay IMHO.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM

195 posts, read 177,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoriginal777 View Post
I think the ick factor is overemphasized/ overstated by many males. Have you ever been on Craigslist? It's filled with married closeted bisexual men looking to fool around with another dude. Whenever I meet a guy who acts totally grossed out about homosexuality, like over the top grossed out, I'm usually suspicious.
I would agree with this.

When I was a teen a friend of mine told me a guy he knew said I looked like a fa-got. Totally out of the blue. I'm not gay, never dressed in a flamboyant way and never acted like anything other than a normal teen boy, so I was really confused.

Years later it turns out the guy is homosexual.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Likely because screwing everything isn't a half bad strategy as eventually you'll hit the right hole and pro create.
This is probably true, but FFS - there has to be a better way of putting it.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Many blue-staters may think it doesn't exist, but when you live in an area where homophobia is deeply ingrained in the culture, it's not uncommon to even meet an atheist who is homophobic. The other night I had a conversation about homosexuality with an atheist friend and it was pretty eye opening (he doesn't know that I struggle with my sexuality nor will I ever tell him).

Most homophobes hide behind the Bible as their reason for hating the LGBT community. Yet, this doesn't tell the complete picture as the Bible has hundreds if not thousands of prohibitions and almost nothing gets people into the kind of tizzy that homosexuality does. Talking about homosexuality with this atheist gave me insight into why that is.

He is against gay people because he believes he says the natural order of evolution is for a species to reproduce and the strong to survive, and gay people are counter to that. He didn't hide behind a "love the sinner and hate the sin" mantra that most Christians do. He said he hates gay people entirely and that they shouldn't exist, and the reason for that is they are weak, effeminate men who refuse to reproduce naturally. He then went on to say if he ever has kids that are gay, he will cut them off from the family because there is no point in supporting a child who isn't going to do what humans naturally do; reproduce and further their lineage. He says homosexuality is evolution in action; the weak being cast aside while the strong reproduce.

This made me think of the general mindset of homophobia and why homosexuality bothers people so much. While I totally don't agree with my friend (I didn't tell him that though because I don't want him to suspect I might be gay), I at least respect the fact that he's honest about his opinion and doesn't hide behind religion like most homophobic people do. I think this same general mindset prevails among the religious, though they don't realize it and will never admit it. That's why out of all the prohibitions in the Bible, homosexuality gets them so much more fired up. They see it as an affront to masculinity and "survival of the fittest", a natural human instinct. This is also why minds are so slow, if not impossible, to change on this issue. The religion thing is just a front. Underneath that, homosexuality makes them extremely uncomfortable. Attacking homophobia from a religious angle doesn't address the underlying reason that person is homophobic.

I did mention I thought that homosexuality could be evolution's way of population control, as there are too many people on this planet and evolution does have a way of naturally bringing things back into balance.

Does anybody else agree? What do you think is the best answer to this mindset? It's something that will need to be addressed if minds are ever to be changed on this issue in red states. A lot of people have this idea that homophobia is on its way out and that for the most part it is accepted in 2017, but that isn't the case. A lot of people who are homophobic will never be so in the face of somebody they know is gay, but behind closed doors it comes out. My friend is actually completely civil around gay people despite being deeply homophobic. Thoughts?
I don't understand why you would want to be friends with someone who would hate you if they knew who you really were. He isn't your friend, because he doesn't really know you. He is friends with his perception of who you are, but that's not really who you are.

You say you respect his opinion, but he obviously doesn't respect you, if you are gay.

You deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies