Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Their Tea Party governor, Matt Bevin, who campaigned on destroying Obamacare, now says he does not want repeal before replacement. I'm guessing he sees some value in the current plan for the citizens of his state.

Also, this for Kentucky:

Obamacare repeal could cost Kentucky 45,000 jobs | Lexington Herald-Leader

And he apparently sees more benefit in its replacement.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:37 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
IMHO the "real" POTUS is Ivanka.

That woman's more than a "1st lady" with her being clued in at different meetings since Donald won in 2016.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 30,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I never liked Clinton and liked Trump's F-You attitude. But I always thought he would start to act more presidential after he was elected president.

From what I saw on today's press conference, that does not seem to be the case. He was acting like a maniac. He continued to trash our nation's intelligence agencies. He lashed out at the press. And for me, the most damaging was that he said he would not release his tax returns. He told us he would release them after his audit. Now he is saying he will not. I actually want to see them. I thought nothing of it when he said he'd release them after the audit, but now I feel fooled.

He also seemed very angry. He seems to have gone back on many of his promises. It is almost like he is working for the elite and only worried about himself.

I am still holding out hope, but did I make a major mistake voting for Trump?

P.S. I understand that living in NY, and us having the electoral college, my vote probably didn't even matter, but I voted with my heart and for what I thought was best for our country.
I don't understand how you didn't see the writing on the wall. Or why you expected him to suddenly change demeanor after the election. Did you think he only did that to "win". .. and if so , what does that so for the majority that voted for him.. they only liked him for his FU attitude.

That attitude does't do well when dealing with delicate foreign relationships and affairs. That attitude could start a war. If he couldn't control himself during the campaign why did you think he would after.

80% of what came out of his mouth was factually false. Even when presented with videos that proved one thing or another he was denying, he still denied. On top of that.. he flip flopped on so many things so many times how could anyone ever trust anything he said he would do or wouldn't do.

I'm sure you are not the only that is going to have buyers remorse. But I forgive you for inflicting Trump on us...... I"m not trying to be mean.. but now that you have helped elect this person (to a degree anyway), you need to make sure that you hold him accountable to the standards you hoped he would abide by even though he displayed no proof he would. The worst thing you could do is capitulate and just sit and home and shrug your shoulders. Speak out and oppose the things you don't agree with and make it know to him and to your local elected officials.

and pray we survive this demagogue. ..

Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBann View Post
I don't understand how you didn't see the writing on the wall. Or why you expected him to suddenly change demeanor after the election. Did you think he only did that to "win". .. and if so , what does that so for the majority that voted for him.. they only liked him for his FU attitude.

That attitude does't do well when dealing with delicate foreign relationships and affairs. That attitude could start a war. If he couldn't control himself during the campaign why did you think he would after.

80% of what came out of his mouth was factually false. Even when presented with videos that proved one thing or another he was denying, he still denied. On top of that.. he flip flopped on so many things so many times how could anyone ever trust anything he said he would do or wouldn't do.

I'm sure you are not the only that is going to have buyers remorse. But I forgive you for inflicting Trump on us...... I"m not trying to be mean.. but now that you have helped elect this person (to a degree anyway), you need to make sure that you hold him accountable to the standards you hoped he would abide by even though he displayed no proof he would. The worst thing you could do is capitulate and just sit and home and shrug your shoulders. Speak out and oppose the things you don't agree with and make it know to him and to your local elected officials.

and pray we survive this demagogue. ..
Our nation survived the current one, we're kinda hard to kill off...

Old 01-15-2017, 03:09 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Congratulations!

My first vote was for Reagan, which I'll never forget. The Dems and some Republicans treated him the same way, but not on the scale they're doing it to Trump. They were totally wrong about Reagan, now I'd bet they're completely wrong about Trump. They've underestimated him and he has crushed them every time, so these non-stop waves of chickenlittleness will meet the same fate.

The bolded: I live in CA where any non-dem vote hasn't counted for 30 years, except when we managed to oust Davis and replaced him with the Governator. He ended his 8 being fairly decent for being tied up by the CA Congress, and certainly far better than Brown v.2. (the ultimate testament to how dumbed down this state has become) has been. CA is further in the red than ever even after billions in new taxes.
The reason that the Democrats are dominant in California, is because of the devastation that Reagan caused there as governor. He chopped funding for every social program in the state, just so his wealthy cronies could become richer.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The reason that the Democrats are dominant in California, is because of the devastation that Reagan caused there as governor. He chopped funding for every social program in the state, just so his wealthy cronies could become richer.
You are mistaken.
Reagan governed California as a centrist. The legislature was extremely opposed to his conservative ideals.
He raised taxes, balanced the budget, passed pro abortion and environmental protection laws.
The state was broke and the legislature would not cut spending, but to try and control the hemorrhaging of the states funding, he worked to curb the growth of government and get the then unprecedented number of people off of welfare.
The "chopped" funding was unsustainable.

I would propose you are confusing the first governorship of Jerry Brown from 1975 into the eighties.
Brown's out of control budget and massive overtaxing mixed with his anti-business ideals lead to an unheard of rise in unemployment in the state during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies