Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've remained someone who believes in Christ. And I don't consider the Pope to be a bad guy. Truth is, atheism has been on the rise since the mid 2000s, even in the Bible Belt where I live.
This is true.

And I don't know a single atheist who attributes their atheism to Obama. What seems to have driven most of the american atheists I know is a rejection of Genesis as literal fact, followed by the realization that the whole idea of an omniscient, omnipotent ruler of the universe does not make a lot of sense.

The recognition that many religious leaders, including Popes, are not all that holy doesn't help, but most atheists are smart enough to know that a single, or several, bad apples are not a good enough reason to reject religious belief.

If this trend toward atheism continues at its current rate, the political landscape in 30 years will look very different than it does now. In a way, Trump is a harbinger of that change. Does anyone really think that Trump is a traditionally religious person? Or that he personally cares much about traditional marriage, abortion or gay people? I think those issues as presidential issues are falling off the list of many Rs, even though they will be live issues in some localities for some time to come.

Here's a prediction for you - we will one day see religiously conservative christians/jews/muslims/hindus join in a political bloc in order to resist the growing move toward a truly secular government.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 AM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Worship of government has replaced worship of God.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've remained someone who believes in Christ. And I don't consider the Pope to be a bad guy. Truth is, atheism has been on the rise since the mid 2000s, even in the Bible Belt where I live.
It's pushed by university professors. I have 5 sons and saw it in all of them when they were in their 2nd year or so, would come home with all these new ideas.

I like to think that they go to church occasionally and still have their faith but they are in a culture that is increasingly faithless as you said.

I did my best as a parent. They went to church most Sundays and all were confirmed and went on mission trips and did volunteer work through the church. And they know that their mother and I still go to church so now I have to keep my mouth shut and just lead by example and hope they pay attention.

My daughter has kept her faith but she has never been the type to be influenced by her peers.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's pushed by university professors. I have 5 sons and saw it in all of them when they were in their 2nd year or so, would come home with all these new ideas.

I like to think that they go to church occasionally and still have their faith but they are in a culture that is increasingly faithless as you said.

I did my best as a parent. They went to church most Sundays and all were confirmed and went on mission trips and did volunteer work through the church. And they know that their mother and I still go to church so now I have to keep my mouth shut and just lead by example and hope they pay attention.

My daughter has kept her faith but she has never been the type to be influenced by her peers.
You're upset because your kids are learning new ideas in college? Seriously?
Maybe, if you were worried about them thinking for themselves, you should have kept them home where you can control them.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You're upset because your kids are learning new ideas in college? Seriously?
Maybe, if you were worried about them thinking for themselves, you should have kept them home where you can control them.
Can you point out where I said I was upset? We were discussing the loss of faith in America and I cited one example. Thanks for jumping in.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Though I wouldn't completely blame Obama. A lot of the blame falls on the current marxist pope.

Pew Report: Religion Plummets in America During Obama Era
False report.Not Obama or the Pope.Please a fact would be nice?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Religion will rise again with Trump. There are no atheists on an airplane that is about to crash.
LOL, I admit this is good.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Really...How do you explain the Global Warming superstition?

wow,????

Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, I admit this is good.
Nah, it isn't.

There are atheists in foxholes. Always have been. I'd argue that atheism is just as likely to occur as religious conversion in a war.

If the only reason you claim religious faith is because your life is in danger - you're not religious, you're superstitious. "I promise to .... if I live".

Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why would you blame Obama or the Pope at all?

I've been an atheist for some 40 years now. Obama had nothing to do with it. I have absolutely no respect for the office of Pope at all. The current Pope is not a bad guy, though.

The concept of 'personal responsibility' goes flying out the window when baseless whines can replace it.

Religion/belief is a very personal thing, it comes from within the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies