Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The first thing I understand. I dont give a *%$# about the Republicans. I do not give a *%$# about the Democrats. The only thing I care about is seeing as a country that everyone can see a doctor when they get sick.

*%$# this partisan $&!*.
Then the thing that I am reminded of that helps some. America will ALWAYS do the right thing. After they've tried everything else.

Quote:
They very well MIGHT be worse. They are only able to control things because Obamacare sucked and was nothing more than a huge give away to the insurance and pharmaceutical companies.
Sorry, but this whole blame the democrats for electing these horrible folks nonsense is old. If you voted in these people, YOU are responsible, no one else. YOU.

Was it a giveaway? OF COURSE. The Republicans flat out refused to try and make a bi partisan plan that would help. And thats needed to over ride the spending and lobbying of healthcare companies. But it ALSO insured millions who didnt have it at all before, and had some cost controls embedded.

Its a serious issue of our government, corporations are running too much of it.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:11 PM

7,169 posts, read 4,737,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't like Obamacare because most of it is putting lipsticks on a pig.

We can't solve the health care problem without talking about tort report, reducing FDA regulations and introducing foreign investment for more competitions.

Personally, I'd favor a high deductible plan. $5000 or even $10000 out of pocket a year. Insurance shouldn't pay a penny until that deducible is met - no copay, no free immunization, no coverage on pregnancy, none.
Do you work for an insurance company? What good is insurance if you cannot use it?

We do NOT need INSURANCE. What we need is HEALTHCARE.

Prices are too high due to limited number of providers, the gate keepers, the bean counters and the now electronic paperwork. Lawyers need to be sent to the bottom of the ocean too.

It's cheaper to travel to Mexico 3-4 times times a year for leisure and physical examination, diabetes management, etc.

So, what you do is build 100 teaching hospitals and 100 medical, physician's assistant, nurse practitioners, nursing and ancillary schools attached to the hospitals. Build two hospitals w/schools per state. Turn them over to the states. Give them some grant money if necessary. These facilities can serve lower income folks and veterans as well. Their primary mission is to INCREASE the number of providers.

These facilities can sell plans that provide preventive care, urgent care visits and hospitalization plans. People can buy what they want.

This will increase the access to physicians and you will get more than 10 minutes with a doctor who speaks flawless English and who will be competent with our culture (i.e. Some docs treat women like crap because in their country goats are worth more than women).

It's a matter of supply and demand. The less doctors we have, the higher their prices. Currently, that's how doctors like it. Imagine that.

If you increase the number of providers, get rid of health insurance companies, buy medications in bulk and rein in the lawyers, costs will go down

All the HSA's in the world won't bring costs down.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Then the thing that I am reminded of that helps some. America will ALWAYS do the right thing. After they've tried everything else.
I hope so.

Quote:
Sorry, but this whole blame the democrats for electing these horrible folks nonsense is old. If you voted in these people, YOU are responsible, no one else. YOU.
I voted Sanders and then Stein.

Quote:
Was it a giveaway? OF COURSE. The Republicans flat out refused to try and make a bi partisan plan that would help. And thats needed to over ride the spending and lobbying of healthcare companies. But it ALSO insured millions who didnt have it at all before, and had some cost controls embedded.

Its a serious issue of our government, corporations are running too much of it.
Nope. The (D)'s did not have to do this. They did NOT have to make it illegal to negotiate with drug companies other than to appease themselves. We see why in the Booker thread. The GOP is not defendable in any of this. There isn't a one I would vote for under any circumstance right now. That does not excuse the (D)'s for doing the wrong thing.

I certainly wouldn't vote for more of it with Hillary. The country could have done the right thing and elected Sanders.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,858,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Folks are looking at pre-existing conditions but there are quite a few other, maybe lesser but important, elements to Obamacare that will be gone in a couple weeks:

Women can go to gynecologist without a referral - GONE!
Included birth control -GONE!
Employers can't impose waiting periods to be eligible for coverage - GONE!
Insurers can't put lifetime limits on coverage - GONE!
Reduction and closing of the donut hole in Medicare prescriptions - GONE!
Insurers can't terminate coverage for claims - GONE!
Insurers can't raise premiums on an individual basis - GONE!
Rights to appeal denial of coverage - GONE!

There are many more "abuses" like this that were outlawed by the ACA that will all become legal again upon repeal.

As long as we make sure and label the changes "TrumpCare" cause hey, thats what it is.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
No you don't. You go to a financial guy that transfers everything to the kids.

Everyone dies.
Hiding your money from the government is a 24-7-365 game of cat and mouse.

If you have kids you must hide your money/assets with them 5 years prior to the nursing home. Also, your kids simply can't "hold your money". Depending on where they put it that hidden loot counts as their money/assets in the loaning/renting/purchasing process for big ticket items that they make.

Plus you have to trust your kids. And if your kids get sued...Sammy will seize the "hidden" money too.

I've been all over this in recent years with a few elderly/sick family members. You can't hide everything, must constantly move things around, and hope you have several kids you can trust to hide at least a portion. I say several because again, if the lone kid who is hiding the loot gets sued or dies first...it's ALL gone. Nice and easy score for Sammy.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Hiding your money from the government is a 24-7-365 game of cat and mouse.
It's not hiding anything when it is legal. This is all perfectly legal.

Quote:
If you have kids you must hide your money/assets with them 5 years prior to the nursing home. Also, your kids simply can't "hold your money". Depending on where they put it that hidden loot counts as their money/assets in the loaning/renting/purchasing process for big ticket items that they make.

Plus you have to trust your kids. And if your kids get sued...Sammy will seize the "hidden" money too.

I've been all over this in recent years with a few elderly/sick family members. You can't hide everything, must constantly move things around, and hope you have several kids you can trust to hide at least a portion. I say several because again, if the lone kid who is hiding the loot gets sued or dies first...it's ALL gone. Nice and easy score for Sammy.
Nothing is perfect.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
It's not hiding anything when it is legal. This is all perfectly legal.

Nothing is perfect.
You aren't a straight up mainstream liberal. Why do you have a case of the obtuses?

Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
I'm glad that you can afford to be so flippant about all of this. Here's my situation: four years ago I suffered an unexpected health crisis. At the time, I had just completed a marathon, had a BMI of about 24, normal blood sugar, a resting pulse rate in the fifties, and took about two Tylenol a year when I overdid a workout. In other words, I was the picture of health. At the time of onset, I had been enrolled in a Cadillac health care plan through my spouse's employer for ten years, and we had never had any gap in coverage, so we thought we had no worries. After all, I had been diagnosed while enrolled in the health care plan. The insurance company took a gamble on me and lost. I got sick, and they were on the hook for treatment. Fast forward to today, my spouse has been laid off in a company restructuring. We've been careful with our money, so we have enough to pay COBRA, but here's the catch: COBRA is not available forever even if you can make the payment. It's eighteen months, then you have to transition to a new plan. Well, guess what? I now have a pre-existing condition.

The average person today will hold at least seven jobs over his lifetime. Think it can't happen to you? Think again. Everyone should be concerned about what is happening in Washington right now. Everyone.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-13-2017 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,745,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Tripling the HI Payroll tax from 7.2% to 21.6% --- 10.8% each for employer and employee would generate $1.938 TRILLION which is only 60% of the $3.2 TRILLION the US spent on healthcare in 2015.
Your analysis is in error. The US spends 3.2 trillion on healthcare - that is true. But 2/3 of that is Medicaid, VA benefits, and Medicaid, all of which are currently funded. So the incremental cost to fund the other 1/3 of Americans who are on private insurance or ACA to join Medicare is not as much as you are stating.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,062,218 times
Life is a pre-existing condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies