Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times

Advertisements

...tell us what you LIKE about the Affordable Care Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:13 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions is probably the biggest aspect of it. When that's gone, as many as 1 out of every 4 Americans will be in jeopardy of being declared permanently uninsurable except through group plans (which are rapidly going the way of the Model T).

There's no doubt that there was a lot wrong with the ACA, and I mean a lot. But it was never intended to be a finished product - it was simply a starting point, the first step. It could (and should) have been improved upon. It was an opportunity to finally fix a hopelessly broken health care system, and resolve an issue that most of the civilized world solved a half century ago, but has been tearing this country apart and paralyzing it for decades. While we still fight like rabid dogs over this problem every single election cycle, the rest of the world solved it and moved on decades ago.

Now that opportunity is lost forever, and we'll be back not only to Square One, but even further back than we were before. This will be one of the single worst things to happen to America in generations.

Edit: Oh, jeez, how did I forget about the elimination of lifetime limits?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-13-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
...tell us what you LIKE about the Affordable Care Act.
Absolutely nothing. It's history now. Haven't you heard?

We're all looking forward to the glorious, truly magnificent, best ever Republican replacement.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions is probably the biggest aspect of it. When that's gone, as many as 1 out of every 4 Americans will be in jeopardy of being declared permanently uninsurable except through group plans (which are rapidly going the way of the Model T).

There's no doubt that there was a lot wrong with the ACA, and I mean a lot. But it was never intended to be a finished product - it was simply a starting point, the first step. Now we'll be back not only to Square One, but even further back than we were before. This will be one of the single worst things to happen to America in generations.
I'm wondering if the Republicans will continue wandering in circles for awhile and then settle on single payer.

Tax credits and HSAs are non-starters. Let's see what else they got up their sleeve.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I like the pre-existing conditions part.

I liked the medicaid expansion and was very sorry SCOTUS ruled it could be optional. A lot of the current complaints about the ACA's inadequacy are the consequences of states opting out.

I like that insurers were required to offer real insurance policies, not those sham policies that don't actually cover much.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
My favorite part about the ACA is watching liberals cry when we take it away.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
It forced the US political process to take action on what is a disgraceful attitude in America about people's right to good health. We are the richest country on the planet and yet we treat some of our citizens worse than dogs.

Obamacare is flawed, no doubt about it. And it will likely be repealed. But it really opened the eyes of people as to what is possible and what is just. Eliminating discrimination for healthcare based on pre-existing conditions is huge. But so is not allowing insurance companies to drop you because you got sick. And not allowing insurance to limit what they will pay you for an illness. These things are now key parts of the dialog in what the Republicans will do to replace Obamacare. If Obamacare never existed these conversations about fair treatment of people would never occur. That is real winner here.

I personally think we can do far better than Obamacare but I think that going back to what things were before Obamacare would be worse for America.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Then you'll really have a good time when coal miners find out their insurance for black lung disease is done gone.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post

There's no doubt that there was a lot wrong with the ACA, and I mean a lot. But it was never intended to be a finished product - it was simply a starting point, the first step. It could (and should) have been improved upon. It was an opportunity to finally fix a hopelessly broken health care system, and resolve an issue that most of the civilized world solved a half century ago, but has been tearing this country apart and paralyzing it for decades. While we still fight like rabid dogs over this problem every single election cycle, the rest of the world solved it and moved on decades ago.

Now that opportunity is lost forever, and we'll be back not only to Square One, but even further back than we were before. This will be one of the single worst things to happen to America in generations.
Additionally letting people under 26 stay on their insurance policy is great.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm wondering if the Republicans will continue wandering in circles for awhile and then settle on single payer.

Tax credits and HSAs are non-starters. Let's see what else they got up their sleeve.
If they're true Republicans, they will. This is not a liberal-conservative issue any longer; this is down to simply a "what makes the most sense" issue. And by almost every objective measure, a national single payer universal health care system just makes the most sense for the economy and the national well-being. We have the framework in place - it's called Medicare. Taiwan has one of the top 5 health care systems in the world (with the lowest administrative costs in the world) and all they did was copy Medicare. They made no bones about it; they just asked if they could come over here, study Medicare, and go back home and copy it.

They solved the problem, moved on, and turned their attention to other things. We have the answer right here under our noses, and we're too stupid to recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So you care more about hurting people you disagree with than you do about making smart, responsible decisions and what's best for the country as a whole. You're literally willing to kill people if it means getting back at people you don't like.

Thank you for that glimpse into the pure, wretched evil that Trump's supporters represent.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-13-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies