Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 AM

403 posts, read 748,779 times

Advertisements

Although federalist society isn't the most non-partsian group, this really is a good survey.

The Federalist Society » Publications - Rating the Presidents of the United States, 1789-2000: A Survey of Scholars in History, Political Science, and Law

(click the pdf file)

My problem with it--------

1)Woodrow Wilson is still overrated in ranking(although at least they say that he is 'overrated').
2)Reagan should rank below Polk and IKE.
3) Andrew Jackson in top 7-----If you destroy the economy, break contracts and kill native american----you get ahead.
4) Ulysses Grant, harding and Coolidge are still underrated.
5) Jimmy Carter should be higher------just a little higher.

James MacGregor Burns on Nixon, "How can one evaluate such an idiosyncratic president, so brilliant and so morally lacking?"

So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
My thoughts:

1) Ike was a terrible president. Most of the rankings I've ever seen keep in below the top 25.

2) It's nice to see Polk get some love. He's always been my most underrated president of all time.

3) While I may disagree a bit, I can live with their top 11 presidents except for Ike.

4) As to the 10 worst, the 2 I would take off the list, but keep them close by are Nixon & Carter. Watergate aside, Nixon would have been a better than average president. The things he did are nothing compared to the Clintons and their presidency. But, I also recognize we should judge a president for the era in which they served.

5) As to their 'ranking presidents by mean score', Clinton should be lower (and will as time goes by due to him having the 2nd or 3rd most corrupt presidency ever) and Kennedy should also drop a bit for Vietnam, Bay of Pigs... I also might consider moving John Adams up a few notches. He was a better president than given credit.

6) I strongly disagree with the "most controversial" presidents list and it's basically jusy modern history. Neither Clinton nor Regan were "controversial" as many other presidents. Easily the worst aspect of the entire survey. Very short-sighted.

7) The most overrated chart was a compete joke.

All this to say it was a most interesting read and I love those kinds of surveys. Jessica1000, thanks for sharing this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies