Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,219,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what color is the person who did the site? If they are white then your argument is null and void.
Wild

The color of the blogger is unknown. In the comments, this one really angry guy went off about a thousand words plus about who HE thought it was. He concluded it was some Chinese guy. (the commentator seemed to have a thing against them too).

I see Black comedians making fun of their own and White comedians making fun of their own. Same with rednecks, Asians, gays, women...

It is tough to say who it is for sure, but he/she is sure attracting a lot of attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,184,961 times
I fear the Netherlands and all Dutch people in Holland and abroad will be stereotyped by many Muslims because we have a complete nutjob of a member of parliament Geert Wilders who believes that it is his right to make a movie in which he is planning to insult all the Muslims in the world. Geert Wilders is by no means a stand up comedian ( or a competent politician).
The thing is that because he is a member of our parliament the government is obliged to protect him.
I wonder if he would still make the same movie if the government was not obliged to protect him.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,377,892 times
Its funny for what it is & even funnier that some people got upset but it does not acurately depict the average white person I know.

Who cares if their kids speak French?

I dont much like stereotypes but they usually have some basis in reality, thats how they start. But I think theyre more regionalized than that you can just say "white people" or "Black people" or even "Mexicans" We are all individuals but we do tend to form groups of like people.

Often but not always stereotypes are intended to offend & degrade, especially regarding minorities, or percieved minorities, in some places whites are the minority but we wont be recognized as such.

In this case I think it was intended to be entertaining & stir the pot a bit. No biggie but its also not remotely acurate, & I live in a suburban setting. Dont forget that not everyone in the suburbs is wealthy. Most of us arent, we work for the rich liberals that move in & create what they were leaving behind.
The article describes the yuppie outlook pretty well tho.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 AM

438 posts, read 1,505,107 times
Someone already mentioned stereotypes have some basis in reality. This is true to an extent. I think the writer created this site to poke fun at white suburban yuppie types who take themselves way to seriously. What's funny is how Chris Rock can stand in front of a black audience, make stereotypical observations, and everyone laughs. This guy writes stereotypical observations about white people and people flip out. White people take themselves way too seriously. (I know this because I'm white)

Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,458,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The article describes the yuppie outlook pretty well tho.

IMHO- It was irrelevant unless you are a through and through yuppie.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,293,260 times
that was some tedious reading.
Hum, never really considered that my knowing spanish was a put off to other whites.
Guess I will have to discuss that at the next wine fest I attend after the bike marathon around the lake.
Wait a minute it just dawned on me. I dont know spanish I know mexican. Thats different so Im saved.

Why do whites hate themselves so bad?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,307,420 times
^^

I think it was jokes man. Everything is always fun and games until its against your people. People make jokes about other ethnic groups in America or stereotype. You see others (people who don't belong to the targeted ethnic group) say "ohh its just jokes, people need to stop being so politically correct, blah blah blah" now the shoe is on the other foot people wanna become all vexed.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,219,012 times
Quote:
^^

I think it was jokes man. Everything is always fun and games until its against your people. People make jokes about other ethnic groups in America or stereotype. You see others (people who don't belong to the targeted ethnic group) say "ohh its just jokes, people need to stop being so politically correct, blah blah blah" now the shoe is on the other foot people wanna become all vexed.
But the weird thing is that what the blogger says is not that offensive. I am not white, but I have certainly participated in a lot of these "shallow" exercises. I have gone to Starbucks and Pasta Pomodoro.

But I suppose some of my Caucasians friends do push the envelope a bit farther than I do. For example, I was visiting a friend of mine in Danville CA. His 6 year old son wanted ice cream from McDonalds. My friend said "no, we are going to Cold Stone instead of getting that crappy stuff". 20 bucks later, his son took two bites and it was in the garbage can.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,594,006 times
Quote:
what color is the person who did the site? If they are white then your argument is null and void.
No, it isn't. While I liked Dave Chappelle, I knew what he was saying about Blacks was deeply offensive. The fact that he's black makes no difference. Same applys here. People go on and on about "I don't see color" and yet people come up with this.

Now, I do find this site hysterical and on point! But let's be real here, if we started a StuffBlackPeopleLike.com, there would be hell to pay....

Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,852,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What I think people are actually angry about is the double standard. Either stereotypes are acceptable, or they are not. So let's pick one and stick with it: if it's acceptable to stereotype white people, then it's open season on everyone else. ("Black people love fried chicken and watermelon and pimpin' and spinning rims! Wheee!") If it's not acceptable to stereotype minorities, then it's not acceptable to stereotype white people either. So let's pick one or the other and stop being schizophrenic about it.
Look, some stereotypes are okay and some aren't some ethnic groups its okay to make fun of and some aren't.

For example it is perfectly fine to make fun of virtually every white ethnic group, it's borderline when dealing with Hispanics, Native Americans, and Asians, and its rarely okay to make fun of blacks and Jews.

These double standards exist because of the historical context. For example, I remember when I was in high school and me and my friends would all make fun of each others ethnic backgrounds. We spent hours throwing around "guniea", "mick", and "kraut" and jokingly using the stereotypes of the various ethnic backgrounds. It was all in good fun and it was given that nobody was mad, because very few people have any actual hatred for the Irish or Italians or people of German descent.

With blacks and Jews it is a bit different because of the historical context. Blacks have dealt with racism for there entire time in North America, in some northern States and in Canada, it wasn't as extreme, slavery was not as widespread and abolished sooner and the people weren't as racist as let's say the Deep South, but to think they were welcomed with open arms is extremely untrue. Segregation and other Jim Crows laws still existed in the early 60s, we're not talking about ancient history here, I'm sure more than a few posters on this can clearly remember many major events of the Civil Rights Movement. Racism, Segregation, and slavery are still extremely touchy subjects and while I can call a friend (or even just throw the word around) a "mick" with offending almost nobody, the word "n----r" opens up a lot of wounds that are not fully healed. Also, there is still plenty of racism today, not just "black people like chicken" racism, but deep "it was better when they knew their place" and "Goddamn coons are nothing more than a bunch of thieving monkeys" racism. Until that goes away and blacks are sure that the amount of people who look fondly back on the days of lynchings is negligible, it's going to be a very touchy subject.

Maybe in 100 years, it will be okay to use the worst racial slurs and stereotypes against blacks in a manner much the same way a character like Groundskeeper Willie on The Simpsons (who is a collection of Scottish stereotypes) is not considered offensive by any rational person. And in that 100 years a character like Groundskeeper Willie will be considered extremely offensive because of the Great Scottish Genocide of 2054 and it would be even more offensive in that character was on Brazilian television because it was the Brazilians that conducted the Genocide of the Scots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies