Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Got it and I apologize to you for misunderstanding what you were trying to convey with the emoticon.

I didn't say all Republican voters are racist (I voted for Trump). I said racists vote Republican.
From looking at our country's most racially segregated cities, states, and public schools, it looks more like racists vote Democrat. The most segregation is in blue cities/states.

Something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
From looking at our country's most racially segregated cities, states, and public schools, it looks more like racists vote Democrat. The most segregation is in blue cities/states.

In a city as diverse as Chicago, I'm sure racism does play a part in why people choose to remain segregated. It's not just white people who are racist.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In a city as diverse as Chicago, I'm sure racism does play a part in why people choose to remain segregated. It's not just white people who are racist.
Exactly. And how do those non-White racists vote in blue cities and states?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
@residinghere2007 Post # 101 (Don't want to quote the whole thing.)

First, thank you for writing what you wrote. I think you make a good case for a sound reason to have those black-focused group for black women.

But I want to say please understand that we don't know this stuff. I am a 50-something white woman who lives a pretty well-integrated life--("NO, NO, DON'T SAY IT" ) I really DO have black friends with whom I socialize as well as the extended members of my sister's family, but I never knew until I read what you wrote that there is an effort to increase awareness of breastfeeding specifically in the black community or even that SIDS is higher. I do know about the higher levels of obesity and related health issues--that has gone pretty mainstream. It also may be that I'm not in the child-raising years anymore and don't read things related to that. I don't know.

I attended a discussion event in Asbury Park, NJ, last year about black-white relations. It was facilitated not as a back-and-forth but rather that everyone had the opportunity to make a statement about why they were there and what their POV was on several issues. One theme that always pops up at such discussions is that white people often don't see the racism that black people see, and black people have a hard time believing that white people can't see it when it's so obvious to them.

As an analogy, my father was a double-amputee. Lost both legs in WWII, walked on prosthetics, used a wheelchair at times when infections set in. There was no ADA when I was growing up, no handicapped parking spots, no ramps to access buildings. Any time we went somewhere or thought about doing something, we always had to see if there were steps in front of a building or call and find out if my father would be able to get in. Now, assuming you are able-bodied, do you think about that at all when you approach a building? Do you count the number of steps in the front, or do you just bound right up them because you can?

It's the same way with white people sometimes. We just don't see it because it doesn't affect us, unless, of course, it's some of the more blatant, horrific racist behavior.

I will give you a real-life example. For a couple of years in the 1990s, we lived across the hall in an apartment complex from and hung out with a black couple who had a kid the same age as ours. They eventually bought a house in town. Now the town was predominantly white except in the apartment complex--most homeowners were white/Italian, small town.

I was visiting "Ruth" one day after they'd lived there a while, and she mentioned that she had lost her tax bill so she called the municipal office to get a replacement, and when she said her name and her address and that she needed the tax bill, the woman at the municipal court said, "Oh, are you moving?" It was apparently plain as day to her that this was said only because she was black--but I did not see that at all until I realized that was HER reaction.
ITA with you in regards to the ADA and issues not being "seen" by other groups so them not believing that there is an issue.

I personally believe that this is actually the case for all sorts of racial "issues" in our country today.

On ADA, I never knew about the things you are describing until I started a career in project management of housing communities that served predominantly senior residents. It was public housing primarily and we had to ensure compliance with ADA and I never had even heard of such things and had never thought about the, but they really do make sense to ensure that accessibility is provided to members of our society who are disabled (or "differently abled" as one of my directors used to say). Working that job specifically was a huge catalyst into me being very open minded about people and it made me see how much more we are alike than we are different.

FWIW, I get a lot of push back from younger black women about the desire to build broader coalitions with predominantly white feminist groups. I do see white women as my "sisters" even though they may not view me as such or consider I may have issues different from their own. But I have rarely had an interaction with a white feminist who has been unwilling to consider the women's issues that black women primarily work on. And all of them have primarily realized that the issues we focus on are "real" issues like the very high infant mortality rates of black infants - they are 2nd highest only to native Americans, where I live we have one of the highest in the country of black infant SIDS deaths so this is a huge issue local to me. I know 4 families personally who have lost infants to SIDS and I am also known as the breastfeeding nazi lol because I am SUPER into ensuring that our young black mothers receive the support and encouragement they need to at least try breastfeeding as it is an easy way to decrease SIDS deaths of black infants. My youngest child is 9 now but I still am very much into this cause because I am one of the only "older" black mothers many of the young ladies know who breastfed both of my children to 12 months of age so I stay involved to be a mentor and proof that it can be done even when you are working. The ACA being repealed is actually a huge concern of mine being that health insurance companies and Medicaid (and WIC) are now providing more breastfeeding support to all mothers based on requirements within ACA and it is especially needed in the communities that I work in whereas employers are required to allow breastfeeding mothers time to pump and a play to pump for their infants that isn't a bathroom. Many of these women work in retail or fast food or production/factory work and would not have been able to successfully breastfeed without the ACA provisions of providing a high quality breast pump along with breaks to pump for their babies. Most of them do not have access to any sorts of leave either after the birth of their babies and have to stay off work, unpaid after they give birth so most return to work within 2 weeks, which makes it difficult for them to breastfeed.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Anyone can be racist. Being a Democrat or Republican makes no difference.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

Brown University did a study on diversity and disparities and found that blacks and Hispanics live in poorer neighborhoods than whites or Asians with comparable incomes. So, this is by choice, which is fine. I just don't think that their choice always boils down to racism.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If anyone considers themselves insulted by the harsh reality that blue city/states are the most racially segregated, perhaps they should be working to change it?
All cities are racially segregated, no matter the political party in power. The country as a whole is segregated.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Is it your contention that living in "red" city makes one less racist?

I honestly don't get the point you are trying to make here. What difference does it make how people vote. A political party affiliation does not make someone a racist nor does it make them a segregationist.

Honestly it seems like you are trying to "start stuff" based on political party, which is fine in a political forum IMO, but living in a "red" or "blue" city or the voting patterns of a majority of the city's population doesn't determine whether said person or persons are racist. Also, there are many different levels to conservatism and liberalism. For instance, I doubt the mayor of Chicago and the mayor of San Francisco and the mayor of Atlanta agree on every single issue or how to handle certain issues that all cities face. Yet all three cities have Democratic party mayors.

Most larger cities have Democratic mayors, primarily because liberalism is much more of an "urban" think versus suburbn and rural. This is my personal view but I do feel that those who live in much closer confines to their neighbors want the government to be more involved as they feel more of a threat from their neighbors/citizens around them due to the close proximity. This is very different from suburban and rural areas who don't have as many neighbors as urban dwellers to worry about.

But FWIW I visited the in-laws for the holidays in Chicago and it was mind blowing how many ridiculous laws they had going into affect, one was the banning of plastic grocery bags, which made me go . How in the hell can you ban grocery bag?? And now are people going to get fined/ticketed for having a grocery bag?? It was odd. Made me glad I don't live there. There were a few other ridiculous laws, but that one stuck in my mind being that before I saw that on the news, I actually did notice that there were way too many grocery bags on the freeways and stuck on gates from blowing in the wind on the street when we were driving around. So I "got" why they banned the bags but felt that something else could have been done to curb the litter instead of an outright ban.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

But FWIW I visited the in-laws for the holidays in Chicago and it was mind blowing how many ridiculous laws they had going into affect, one was the banning of plastic grocery bags, which made me go . How in the hell can you ban grocery bag?? And now are people going to get fined/ticketed for having a grocery bag?? It was odd. Made me glad I don't live there. There were a few other ridiculous laws, but that one stuck in my mind being that before I saw that on the news, I actually did notice that there were way too many grocery bags on the freeways and stuck on gates from blowing in the wind on the street when we were driving around. So I "got" why they banned the bags but felt that something else could have been done to curb the litter instead of an outright ban.
Living just outside of DC, which has similar bag policy (bags are not illegal, but they are discouraged and taxed if you buy them at the store), it was done for the reasons you stated above. They were just all over the place. The were also clogging up the Anacostia river, ending up in the reflecting pool at the mall, and so on. You could say we are a bunch of litters here, and maybe so, but those bags just have a tendency to go everywhere. Once this was instituted, there has been a major improvement in what they are finding in the water.

And separate from this discussion but to touch on a point made up thread about blue areas being more segregated. Well, I don't know. Blue areas definitely more diverse and there are certainly pockets of segregated areas (the very poor to the very wealthy are segregated). In the middle though, at least where I live, there is no segregation at all. Extremely diverse/mixed in the middle class.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
The hypocrisy on the left is almost hilarious.

So a show about a black family (all rich on the show and in real life) scared about a Trump presidency while non of those liberal moonbats were scared when Obama who had no foreign experience at all never mind domestic coming into a post Bush era where 2 wars were going on.

Obama came into office with practically just talks big hope and change with no substance and were they scared then?

Trump has not even done anything but one thing is that he has balls (although too egotistic). The American people should give him a chance to see if he restores out respect with the world.

Obama was a status quo president end of story. The country became weak and lost a lot of respect.

Were the liberals scared when Obama turned a blind eye to illegal immigration of to mayor or big cities openly supporting illegals?

Enough of the libs crying foul play. I'm not a big fan of Trump but he deserves a chance. If he screws up,vote his ass out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies