Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sure he's been like this his entire life. It's maddening people are able to conceal who they really are until they're in some position of power.

On the other hand, it's possible people would have voted for him anyway. People have done equally dumb, if not dumber things, and still voted into office.

I read this is the second time he's done this. At what point does he feel the need to step down? Never?
He's claiming the tapes were doctored both times by a political opponent. It sounds like him but isn't him...so he claims.

Without any more inside knowledge of the situation (I think I may have driven thru Warren, MI once in my life) it's a "he said, he said" deal.

It seems unlikely, not impossible though, that a political opponent in a Detroit suburb would go to such lengths to screw over the mayor.

I'm chalking it up to I don't know but if forced to choose would think the mayor did it.

In the grand scheme of things I enjoy the entertainment value of it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
An interesting article.

I grew up in Warren. Macomb county is a longtime blue collar, staunchly Democrat area, that went red for Trump in November.

The names quoted in that article are rather familiar.

Hackel, whom is accused of releasing the "damaging" alleged recordings is a longtime (D) political family name. Mostly associated with the sheriff's position.
Dennis Dutko, a state rep for the county, commited suicide in Florida, 1990, after his fourth DUI, and his own (D) party threw him under the bus.

The Phil Dutko quoted in the article seems to acknowledge that Fouts may be the target of a Dem hit on his character. Although Fouts holds the mayor's office as an Independent, he has previously run for other offices as an (R).

While nothing I've posted here proves Fouts' innocence or guilt, it just provides a bit of background I found interesting, not to mention the newspaper's choice of seeking a Dutko out for a quote on the subject. Old political adversaries may be passed down from generation to generation it seems. And the (D)'s after their latest rout, maybe going after their (R) opponents at every level to try to stay in the game.

CN

Last edited by Compression; 01-16-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 09:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
He's claiming the tapes were doctored both times by a political opponent. It sounds like him but isn't him...so he claims.

Without any more inside knowledge of the situation (I think I may have driven thru Warren, MI once in my life) it's a "he said, he said" deal.

It seems unlikely, not impossible though, that a political opponent in a Detroit suburb would go to such lengths to screw over the mayor.

I'm chalking it up to I don't know but if forced to choose would think the mayor did it.

In the grand scheme of things I enjoy the entertainment value of it though.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I watched a youtube video of someone at a company that analyzed it but they came up with nothing conclusive. This recent clip came from a journalist who said he got it from an insider who attends meetings with the mayor, so it sounds like someone is being blamed who can't be blamed.

The reporter suggested he could take a voice print exam or a lie detector test, but I suspect he won't do either.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
An interesting article.

I grew up in Warren. Macomb county is a longtime blue collar, staunchly Democrat area, that went red for Trump in November.

Hackel, whom is accused of releasing the "damaging" alleged recordings is a longtime (D) political family name. Mostly associated with the sheriff's position.
Dennis Dutko, a state rep for the county, commited suicide in Florida, 1990, after his fourth DUI, and his own (D) party threw him under the bus.

The Phil Dutko quoted in the article seems to acknowledge that Fouts may be the target of a Dem hit on his character. Although Fouts holds the mayor's office as an Independent, he has previously run for other offices as an (R).

While nothing I've posted here proves Fouts' innocence or guilt, it just provides a bit of background I found interesting, not to mention the newspaper's choice of seeking a Dutko out for a quote on the subject. Old political adversaries may be passed down from generation to generation it seems. And the (D)'s after their latest rout, maybe going after their (R) opponents at every level to try to stay in the game.

CN

Geeze, sounds like the Hatfield's and McCoy's.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Geeze, sounds like the Hatfield's and McCoy's.
I'm entertained, like I said. And that's all I care about.

Thanks CN for the insight.

The people can decide at the next election anyway. Or if the town charter has a recall provision perhaps someone will put that wheel in motion.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
I don't really care about his personal sentiments, but damn...it's 2017 and people that should be fairly smart are still saying dumb **** around live mics or cellphones. SMH...

Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Someone who looks like that has the nerve to talk about others' looks?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
An interesting article.

CN
Lol...Metro Detroit machine politics...always entertaining. Those guys are all blood and guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies