Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The pendulum will swing hard after this mess.
It just did... you obviously missed it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The pendulum will swing hard after this mess.
Not if the antics continue.

Keep telling a large section of the US they are racists, and you'll never get their votes.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It just did... you obviously missed it...
Yes, the pendulum tends to swing back and forth no matter what...

Makes you wonder, doesn't it, which direction is better or worse when constantly moving back and forth, or is it the back and forth that ultimately brings progress?

That or getting nowhere. Hard to tell sometimes...

Old 01-17-2017, 11:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Keep telling a large section of the US they are racists, and you'll never get their votes.
They were never going to vote Dem anyway. Trump won because he turned out the disaffected deplorables who typically don't vote, and Hillary failed to inspire the youth vote. Most of the people who always vote Dem came out and voted Dem. Same for the people who always vote Rep. No one flipped because the Dems called them racist.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I think Trump will either destroy or badly damage the Republican party in the coming months and years.

Demographically, the U.S. is already majority Democrat. Republicans win because a lot of Liberals don't vote due to being too lazy or too comfortable with things. Trump has made Liberals more uncomfortable than any politician in recent memory. In addition, Trump has made a lot of Republicans uncomfortable.

In some ways its a lose/lose situation for Republicans in the next 2-4 years. The fact that they have the majority makes it impossible for them to blame Democratic polities for anything "bad" that happens. In addition.. they are now forced to either push forward with doomed Republican policies that will fail a large portion of society (women, minorities, gays, etc.) OR they have to support some Liberal policies which will make them look like liars and hypocrites and turn off their base.

I don't see how Republicans can come out on top in the next two years.

Trump might ultimately be good for Liberals in the long run.
The democrat party and the republican party are both the same. Both are neoliberal/neocon and controlled by the political establishment in DC and Wall Street elites in NYC. Trump is quasi establishment because he is a billionaire and a corporatist, but he is not part of the political establishment, and to a certain degree not part of the old money elite Wasp class. Trump has hijacked the Republican party, your average hardcore reagaen, Bush Sr, and Bush Jr, Republicans do not approve of Donald Trump because he goes against the political and business establishment. Most political and economic establishment are on in bed with the democrats. The traditional Republican party is screwed for the next 4-8 years. They either have to join Trump gameplan, or be out of a job. Some mainline republicans along with democrats will have Trump impeached. Once that happens, Pence who is establishment will be President, and that would be good news for the Wall Street and Political elite. Right now their is a civil war going on in the Republican party, I'm going to watch the show while eating some popcorn. All I know is that if I was a Trump voter, I will vote form Trump in 2020 elections, however I would abstain from voting in 2024 which will see the return of an establishment candidates.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They were never going to vote Dem anyway. Trump won because he turned out the disaffected deplorables who typically don't vote, and Hillary failed to inspire the youth vote. Most of the people who always vote Dem came out and voted Dem. Same for the people who always vote Rep. No one flipped because the Dems called them racist.
Does that include all the counties that were blue for Obama and are now red for Trump?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Does that include all the counties that were blue for Obama and are now red for Trump?
It was about who turned out in those counties, not individual voters flipping.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Trump could end up being bad for the Republican party if he fails, but if he is successful in even half of his promised agenda, specifically job growth, he could be very, very bad for the Democrat party. We will have to wait and see what he does the next four years, won't we?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Interesting notion...

I'm never too sure who it is, exactly, that keeps telling who, exactly, what, but best I can tell, the people who feel they are being accused of being racist are not likely to understand people like Obama or his direction or a more progressive agenda either way, not getting those votes in any case. I've never felt I was being accused of being racist, so maybe I just don't understand these sentiments in the first place. I'll guess they are not the typical sentiments of minorities (AKA non white males), but that's just a wild hunch is all...

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-17-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Trump could end up being bad for the Republican party if he fails, but if he is successful in even half of his promised agenda, specifically job growth, he could be very, very bad for the Democrat party. We will have to wait and see what he does, won't we?
So far he's putting together a good team and has the potential to do very well. Dems have been losing power and seats since 2010 and should be worried about 2018 where they could lose even more in the Senate.

No wonder they are trying to destruct Trump. They have a lot more to lose if he's successful.

What great leader do they have to step forward and bring life back into the party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies