Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nevermind why the OP lives in CA
The OP actually claims not to live here.

Quote:
The point is that any official claiming that it's a wonderful thing for people to quit their jobs to be "whatever" and the government will cover their ass is missing more than several screws.
Pelosi never said that "the government will cover their ass" if people quit their jobs.

Here's her comment--from back in 2012--that the OP took out of context, and managed not to link to the cns website (whose news link states, "right news for right now"). She was referring to the state exchanges, available as a result of the ACA, that would allow people to purchase health insurance on their own, instead of having to be covered through their current employer.

“This is what our founders had in mind--ever expanding opportunity for people.

“You want to be a photographer or a writer or a musician, whatever -- an artist, you want to be self-employed, if you want to start a business, you want to change jobs, you no longer are prohibited from doing that because you can’t have access to health care, especially because you do not want to put your family at risk,” she said.

Pelosi: Obamacare Allows You to Quit Your Job and Become 'Whatever'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 PM

787 posts, read 643,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
With the new thread on the pension debt, I am considering not moving back to CA.
What is your next choice for retirement?

Old 01-18-2017, 01:56 PM

661 posts, read 690,588 times
It's ironic that many Republicans who claim to be all about helping business fetishize employer based healthcare. They should be all for the exchanges and non-employer based risk pools. That's one less burden that employers have to bear to employ people. Plus it allows for a more dynamic economy by not trapping people in employment to keep insurance. They can move jobs and states easier while still providing coverage for themselves/family.

Probably one of the reasons Western Europe has higher social mobility (the supposed American Dream) than the US at this point.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
What is your next choice for retirement?
Florida near the beach and with the savings in cost and taxes I can fly to CA several times a year and still be ahead on money. I prefer CA, but I am seeing a lot of problems right now.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
It's ironic that many Republicans who claim to be all about helping business fetishize employer based healthcare. They should be all for the exchanges and non-employer based risk pools. That's one less burden that employers have to bear to employ people. Plus it allows for a more dynamic economy by not trapping people in employment to keep insurance. They can move jobs and states easier while still providing coverage for themselves/family.

Probably one of the reasons Western Europe has higher social mobility (the supposed American Dream) than the US at this point.
Actually I gave my employees the choice of our paying for health care for them or their buying their own. When checking ACA costs and coverage they elected to stay with the company plan as it was less costly and a better overall plan with minimal hassle. My CA employees rejected the CA plan after speaking to the State plan people, it was so bad by comparrison.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Actually I gave my employees the choice of our paying for health care for them or their buying their own. When checking ACA costs and coverage they elected to stay with the company plan as it was less costly and a better overall plan with minimal hassle. My CA employees rejected the CA plan after speaking to the State plan people, it was so bad by comparrison.
What insurance do you provide your employees and where do you obtain it? Are your employees shouldering 100% of the cost or are you subsidizing their premiums? My small business found that the platinum level plans under Covered Ca cost them as an employer less than the similar coverage they had previously purchased from the insurers. No one at my firm purchases on their own because of course the employer provided insurance is much cheaper, they're kicking in money.

Isn't it nice as an employer to be able to say go get your own insurance? Isn't that a republican ideal? Individual freedom and access.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 PM

787 posts, read 643,969 times
Quote:
Outstanding. The kind of employer anyone would work for.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Outstanding. The kind of employer anyone would work for.
You mean an employer who provides health insurance? Isn't that the majority of employers? Or do you mean the employer allowing their employees to gain coverage on their own? Or just a fellow Republican employer?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The OP actually claims not to live here.

Pelosi never said that "the government will cover their ass" if people quit their jobs.

Here's her comment--from back in 2012--that the OP took out of context, and managed not to link to the cns website (whose news link states, "right news for right now"). She was referring to the state exchanges, available as a result of the ACA, that would allow people to purchase health insurance on their own, instead of having to be covered through their current employer.

“This is what our founders had in mind--ever expanding opportunity for people.

“You want to be a photographer or a writer or a musician, whatever -- an artist, you want to be self-employed, if you want to start a business, you want to change jobs, you no longer are prohibited from doing that because you can’t have access to health care, especially because you do not want to put your family at risk,” she said.

Pelosi: Obamacare Allows You to Quit Your Job and Become 'Whatever'
Starting a business or becoming a writer was NEVER prohibited in the first place. You just had to take your OWN risk to become successful at that endeavor, now that risk has been socialized and has PROVEN to be an utter failure of a model. Complete and total failure.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
This is how it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies