Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
And you benefit from civilization as a result of paid taxes.
How do I benefit from property taxes when I don't have any kids in school? I'd give you more examples but judging from your thought process I don't want to overwhelm you.
I wonder how America survived before the income tax in 1913?

Quote:
If you consider yourself a slave because you pay taxes like your fellow partisan in this thread, why dont you become a runaway slave and go live in a remote forest somewhere in the world with no civilization and carve out your own existence free from taxes?
Like our forefathers did? Run away and not fight? Running away to a safe place is what the snowflakes and cowards do. Doesn't surprise me you thought of it.

I don't listen to people who have no clue how a society flourishes. Theft and coercion isn't the way a civilized society works. That's how the mafia works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I think people are just realistic. People who believe the government should not serve them generally feel they are invincible and dont think bad things will happen to them. When they get blind, get early onset dementia or both their young children become disabled and need care 24/7, reality kicks in.
Because we need government to raise us from cradle to grave. In no way shape or form can people plan for themselves or rely on others. Thank you government for running our lives so well and spending our money wisely. Because nothing says spending our money wisely like being trillions in debt.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Does someone who's fat and smokes have a "right" to my taxes when they have a heart attack?

Does someone who is fat and orange and claims to be a "smart" billionaire have a right to your tax money?
Nah. But Trump does it anyways.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How do I benefit from property taxes when I don't have any kids in school? I'd give you more examples but judging from your thought process I don't want to overwhelm you.
I wonder how America survived before the income tax in 1913?

Like our forefathers did? Run away and not fight? Running away to a safe place is what the snowflakes and cowards do. Doesn't surprise me you thought of it.

I don't listen to people who have no clue how a society flourishes. Theft and coercion isn't the way a civilized society works. That's how the mafia works.
How do you benefit from property taxes when you dont have kids in school? Dont you understand that people who no longer had children paid property taxes together with your parents in order for you to go to a public school? Or if you didnt go to a public school, dont you understand that an economy needs a highly educated workforce and that a system of no right to an education would cause businesses to flee the country as America will start resembling third world hell holes with a huge uneducated majority?

You call yourself a slave, yet you say you want to keep your chains. Perhaps because you realize that you like the civilization that taxes provide and dont want to carve out an existence in the boondocks on your own in a stone age society.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because we need government to raise us from cradle to grave. In no way shape or form can people plan for themselves or rely on others. Thank you government for running our lives so well and spending our money wisely. Because nothing says spending our money wisely like being trillions in debt.
Well most of that "trillions in debt" is a result of huge tax breaks for the big money donor class that right wingers vote for, in addition to perpetual war mongering around the world and various bailouts and corporate welfare.

Whining about the debt (after creating it) and then reduce the debt on the backs of ordinary salt of the earth Americans who had nothing to do with it, that is the callous way to address it.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
How do you benefit from property taxes when you dont have kids in school? Dont you understand that people who no longer had children paid property taxes together with your parents in order for you to go to a public school?.
My parents paid for my school because they paid taxes. No one else did. No one else helped pay for my schooling. We didn't get government welfare. The ones who don't pay taxes benefit.

Quote:
Or if you didnt go to a public school,
I did.

Quote:
dont you understand that an economy needs a highly educated workforce and that a system of no right to an education would cause businesses to flee the country as America will start resembling third world hell holes with a huge uneducated majority?
Businesses flee because the cost of doing business here, wages and oddly enough taxes, drives those businesses out. You not knowing that is another reason I get made at our inadequate education system.

Quote:
You call yourself a slave, yet you say you want to keep your chains.
lol No I don't. You made that up

Quote:
Perhaps because you realize that you like the civilization that taxes provide and dont want to carve out an existence in the boondocks on your own in a stone age society.
So according to you before we had income tax in 1913 we were a stone age society. Again we had schools, roads, and we defended our country well. Whatever you do make sure you ignore those facts and instead deflect and make it about something that is far removed from reality.

I get it. You don't have what it takes to fight so you bow down to your oppressors. I wasn't raised that way. I'd rather fight the big government freaks who are trying to ruin society because of their poor education and ethically bankrupt values.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well most of that "trillions in debt" is a result of huge tax breaks for the big money donor class that right wingers vote for, in addition to perpetual war mongering around the world and various bailouts and corporate welfare.
ALL OF IT is because we don't live within our means. Nothing more and nothing less. Doesn't surprise me you're for more theft.

btw Your liar in chief is a huge war monger. he controls troop movements. Invade and occupy. Kill Kill Kill
btw the progressive left, as well as the progressive right, used bailouts
btw Your lair in chief used corporate welfare. Solyndra is an example.
Take off the hypocrite glasses.

Quote:
Whining about the debt (after creating it) and then reduce the debt on the backs of ordinary salt of the earth Americans who had nothing to do with it, that is the callous way to address it.
lmao Yea Theft and coercion isn't callous.
My way is the honest way. I don't back theft, but then again I have morals and ethics.

You want to help? Find another way besides stealing my money for your causes. Volunteering is a noble act.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
But the question is where they got the right to lock me up if I don't pay them. Would that not be wrong if a regular citizen did it? Or is the reasoning that if a majority gets together and decides they can threaten money out of people, that makes it okay?
Well, sort of, yeah. That sure was the answer for thousands of years. Except that there need not be a "majority" to lock you up. A mere nod of the head by an authoritarian ruler was quite enough to put you in chains.

Your arguments seem to be perfect proof of the views of Thomas Hobbes - that man is inherently "bad" (sorry, his concept not mine) who if left to his own devices will choose to act only in his own interest. Hobbes' solution to that little "problem" was, of course, that big bad ruler.

Fortunately, political debate evolved from Hobbesian concepts. The American revolution was modeled to a great extent on the philosophy of John Locke. As George Washington put it, “Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government.” You can’t have a free society where every man is out for himself.

Try reading some of the Enlightenment philosophers - the founding Fathers sure did in an effort to devise our system. You may find that there's a whole lot more to the American concept of "freedom" than YOU not having to pay some taxes.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-17-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, I'm not hurt yet. I'm just 100 miles in the woods on foot with no cell phone. Do I have a right to someone else's services? If I have a god given right to healthcare.(The meme healthcare is a right)
Under EMTALA everyone has a right to receive emergency healthcare whether or not they can pay for it. That does not mean that a doctor is required to accompany you on your 100 mile trek into the wilderness in case you get hurt.

For other healthcare, we can either provide to everyone now, or wait until they present in the ER seriously ill, I think it's cheaper to diagnose and treat diabetes before a patient shows up at the ER going blind or needing their legs amputated. You pay through your health insurance premiums for every unpaid trip a person makes to the ER

Old 01-17-2017, 10:32 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
In the UK cigarettes are very heavily taxed. Alcohol less so, but still taxed. If you smoke and drink then you, personally, pay for it - at source - and, in my opinion, rightly so - as the NHS (ie: every other taxpayer) is effectively paying for your healthcare. The NHS is there for everyone. But, if you can afford it, you can "go private", skip the queue for non-emergency procedures and, for example, have a private room as opposed to being on a ward. It's a far from perfect system but at least people won't be bankrupted by a broken leg if they have no insurance. For the record, I live in the US and have a private health insurance policy (not through the ACA). I can't fault the care I have received when needed but the cost is, to me, exorbitant. The billing is, to the layman, practically indecipherable. More transparency alone would, in my opinion, go a long way towards forming a more streamlined, competitive and affordable healthcare system for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies