Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
He's not a legend... we enjoy being liberal with our word choice. Elvis, the Beatles, Ray Charles, James brown were legends. Sam Moore is not even Sam Cooke in prominence.
While one can agree or disagree with whether who attends the Inauguration (although this debate is driving all sides crazy!), 99.9% of the public will disagree with the quote "He's not a legend!" One has the right to that opinion, but most of us will say otherwise!

Most peeps who saw the Stax Revue say that Sam and Dave's energy gave Otis Redding a run for his money! Oh, by the way, the entire Blues Brothers concept is off the Stax/Sam and Dave concept!

Oh, another by the way: Sam Cooke is considered the Father of the Modern Tenor! Very few, if any, were like him in prominence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Obama and Hillary divided blacks. Blacks got nothing from the democrats. They are still dividing them with their propaganda daily. I am glad Sam will not be bullied by the left hypocrites of no tolerance at all.
As LBJ said after passing welfare legislation.
President LBJ said, "I will have those ni**ers voting democrat for the next two hundred years. " LBJ was a democrat and bought their vote . Many blacks got wise to the democrats who did nothing for them but put them in bad schools, let them shoot one another and do nothing about it, destroy lives with cheap drugs coming from Mexico , and building the projects to house the poor to keep them out of their neighborhoods. What they have done is disgusting. The left continues to seek control over all groups by their words but not their actions.

Thankfully , many are starting to realize they have been duped. Blacks are getting smarter by the day. Blacks deserve to be business owners, have a place at the table of success and live a good life here in the United States of all America.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
He's not a legend... we enjoy being liberal with our word choice. Elvis, the Beatles, Ray Charles, James brown were legends. Sam Moore is not even Sam Cooke in prominence.
If he were a 'legend' people would know his name and you would not need (Sam & Dave) in the breaking news headline, to know who he is.

Honestly--nobody would have a clue if you said who is 'Sam Moore' and what has he sang? The only one I could think of is 'Hold on I'm Coming', due to 'the Dave addendum)

You kind of get the feeling that the Trump PR people are totally desperate and put out a press release every time they have on straw to grab.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If his voice is still the old Sam Moore's voice, I wouldn't wanna come on after him. There isn't another singer at that inaugural in his class.
I am a big fan of the old school black music. Today music is dead. The voices of the groups, Four Tops, Levi, and Smokey, the Platters, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, I could go on and on .. today I hate the music coming out. Aretha the Queen of Soul . Goodness, Greatness can't top them ever!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If he were a 'legend' people would know his name and you would not need (Sam & Dave) in the breaking news headline, to know who he is.

Honestly--nobody would have a clue if you said who is 'Sam Moore' and what has he sang? The only one I could think of is 'Hold on I'm Coming', due to 'the Dave addendum)

You kind of get the feeling that the Trump PR people are totally desperate and put out a press release every time they have on straw to grab.
Let's cut them slack, shall we?

It would be darn embarrassing if it was just that teen from America's Got Talent and Keith Toby. (I quit buying that man's music when he toured with a photoshopped picture of Saddam Hussein and one of the Dixie Chicks. That did it for me. Singing along with "kicking some Iraqi ass" while we were getting ours handed to us over there just seemed stupid.)

But back to Sam & Dave, AKA "The Sultans of Sweat."

Sam is in his 80's and though Dave is deceased, I'm sure Sam will put on a heck of show.

I hear tickets are still available.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:

That is a sad state for you to be in.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I didn't like the Beatles.. over rated .. most of their music was odd. I am a Walrus, yellow submarine, When I'm Sixty Four. Etc..

Sam and Dave had a killer song that is so soulful it is played over and over today.

I am partial to soul music. When the Beatles covered songs it was terrible. Please Mr. Postman. bad.. even worse when the Beatles tried to sing Shout, and then Twist and Shout. Awful.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Sam Moore's career is dead, he's preforming because he needs the money.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:

Forget about the Event (whether you're pro or con).....but don't be knockin' Sam. (& btw, I think he performed at the WH for BO a few years ago too.)

As others have mentioned, the dude is absolutely a legend. Fabulous voice (even if he slurs his "S"s...which I personally love ). He sang dozens of great songs, "Soul Man", "Hold on, I'm Coming", "I Thank You" (ZZ Top did a version)....lots more. He & Otis (& Wicked Pickett) & the band that backed all of them (Cropper, Dunn, Jackson & Booker T) were GODs. Tightest & most soulful music ever made.

I've seen over 300 concerts in my lifetime and one of the top 5 was watching Sam at a "divey" 200 person venue about 25 years ago. He and the band (not the MGs) were cookin'....great show, great songs and Sam with his amazing voice and energy.

Dude has one of the most under rated voices ever.... and S&D were one of the most under rated artists ever. Get a 20 song "greatest hits album" and enjoy.

Rant over.

Last edited by hound 109; 01-18-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
I hope Sam bowls 'em over with his performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies