Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've no idea what you are talking about. But I'll make a guess since you asked.

Your topic simply states this is the 3rd hottest year in potentially 150 years of weather reporting. I believe you attempt, to imply this means that
  • Global warming exists based on a NY Times article.
  • That humans are responsible for this global warming.
Why didn't you just state that if this is what you believe? However I'll point out this is hardly the scientific method. But it's exactly a parroting of the social theme of the day pumped out constantly by the MSM.

Is this what you were looking for? Because it's hardly anything more than that.
We are not discussing weather here, we are discussing global temperature.....Do you actually think these records are based on the NY times article?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/97eae1d...it-record.html

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-20-2017 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not credible... Lindzen charges oil and coal organizations $2,500 per day for his consulting services...This is a clear conflict of interest.
But there is no conflict of interest when organizations that rely on government funding that is predicated on there being an imminent crisis consistently find evidence of a crisis, right?

The yearly budget for climate research UTTERLY PALES next to any money the oil companies are throwing around to fund skepticism. Do you honestly think that a climate scientist working for NASA would be encouraged to conduct truly IMPARTIAL, BLIND science that might cast doubt on the alarmist dogma?
Lindzen has called this out in the past. Any scientist who does not follow the alarmist dogma is ostracized and had his/her career jeopardized.

I don't deny climate change, man's involvement or the need for clean energy. What I take issue with is the alarmism and the refusal to admit uncertainty around predictions based on flawed computer models.

I take issue with the notion that science can be bought and sold only if it's SKEPTICAL science.

Do you honestly think these government agencies like NASA or the IPCC are not influenced by politics?
Do you honestly think the peer review process is infallible or immune from corruption?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,424 times
Quote:
Using "Notalotofpeopleknowthat " and you expect people to take you seriously.
Really Mr. Expert since your wed to such nonsense that you infer CO2 changes cause everything. Why Your cult demands this devotion and that you ignore any other possibilities. Could you please explain the following:

1. Why was the earth not wiped out (nor the planet boiled) when CO2 levels were 5-6X what they are today?
- the planet actually thrived and had less arid regions under such levels.

2. Why did temps INCREASE when global CO2 production MASSIVELY DECREASED during the Great Depression?
-despite massive reductions in man made CO2, atmospheric CO2 did not change much during the Depression.

3. Why are tropical plant and animal fossils (dating to current continental positions) found above the arctic circle?
-Did clever cave men from 10,000 years ago paddle these fossils up in canoes from the equator and bury them there for
a "big joke" to be discovered 10,000 years later?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've no idea what you are talking about. But I'll make a guess since you asked.

Your topic simply states this is the 3rd hottest year in potentially 150 years of weather reporting. I believe you attempt, to imply this means that
  • Global warming exists based on a NY Times article.
  • That humans are responsible for this global warming.
Why didn't you just state that if this is what you believe? However I'll point out this is hardly the scientific method. But it's exactly a parroting of the social theme of the day pumped out constantly by the MSM.

Is this what you were looking for? Because it's hardly anything more than that.
You stated there were palm trees in Antarctica at one time, I simply asked you the physical changes that caused that, specifically. Also you might want to add in the reason that you believe we have the hottest year on record since you believe that it's other than man, or maybe you just don't know.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Really Mr. Expert since your wed to such nonsense that you infer CO2 changes cause everything. Why Your cult demands this devotion and that you ignore any other possibilities. Could you please explain the following:

1. Why was the earth not wiped out (nor the planet boiled) when CO2 levels were 5-6X what they are today?
- the planet actually thrived and had less arid regions under such levels.
We are currently at 400ppm, if you are correct we would have been over 2400ppm, what time period are you speaking to?

I don't see the level you described, here is a graph the level today is higher than in the last 400,000 years. No one is saying the earth would be wiped out but there were very few inhabitants back then, not hundreds of million people living in coastal areas.

Climate Change: Climate Resource Center - Infographic: Earth's carbon cycle is off balance
Quote:
2. Why did temps INCREASE when global CO2 production MASSIVELY DECREASED during the Great Depression?
-despite massive reductions in man made CO2, atmospheric CO2 did not change much during the Depression.
I don't see a massive decrease, the CO2 levels have been steadily increasing since the late 1800's.

Quote:
3. Why are tropical plant and animal fossils (dating to current continental positions) found above the arctic circle?
-Did clever cave men from 10,000 years ago paddle these fossils up in canoes from the equator and bury them there for
a "big joke" to be discovered 10,000 years later?
Yes there are records of tropical plants in both arctic circles, no one is arguing that it wasn't at one time warmer in the earths history.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wrong...We came out of the last glacial period over 5,000 years ago...The earth began cooling at that time, until the late 1800s when we began burning fossil fuels...It has been warming since then....Do you think that is coincidence?

http://theresilientearth.com/files/i...arcott2013.jpg
Yes it is coincidence.

The earth heats and cools periodically.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
But all the Trump voters will say, "This here climate change can't be real, lookit all the snow and ice on muh back porch!"

Oh, sorry...my bad.

I didn't realized you had a real global temperature record (not bull **** like GHCN v 3) that preceded the satellite era such that you could claim record global temperatures today with any sort of credibility.

Please link to the source of this global temperature record so that I can use it convince my fellow CAGW deniers that we need to take CAGW seriously.

Last edited by momonkey; 01-19-2017 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes it is coincidence.

The earth heats and cools periodically.
So there is no reason for the earths heating and cooling cycles, it just happens??

Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
I absolutely do not understand how anyone is against advancing in technology! There is no other topic out there that let's me know more, that there are a lot of people who are nothing but zombies to political points. What in the world is so offensive about the idea of global warming? Heck I know good and --- well when you see a city covered in smog as a result of the fossil fuels that are burned, that is not a good thing for your health right? Well, we already know about green house effects on a limited scale. It is not such a big leap to say it couldn't happen on a global scale if enough gases escape into the atmosphere.

Yet forget all that crap I just said and listen to this point! If we focused on building new forms of energy, particularly on energy that is free and abundant such as the heat coming from the sun, our cost of living will go WAY DOWN. The freak, how in the world could any reasonable person be against that? I know common sense isn't necessarily common, but this is common sense people. Yet we got cats out here in the public, who are against building ways to harness abundant energy. They rather be stuck behind cars in traffic, where the smell of gasoline is trickling through their air conditioning. However going back to my earlier point, the public is simply repeating talking points that originate from the wealthy oil industries and so on. It's these guys who are staunch against global warming because they know if we found ways to harness abundant energy, their oil profits will go bye bye.

So stop being zombies people, particularly those who are conservative in their thinking. It really doesn't matter if global warming is true or not, but focus on the opportunity to find new forms of energy to make your life better. Think for yourselves!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Yes lets keep denying facts because they conflict with our cherished political beliefs! All those scientists are dumb and wrong and or lying for money, while all those politicians and 3rd party blog websites that confirm our beliefs are smart and accurate and speaking truth to power, and totally not trying to cash in on the leftmost 30% of the bell curve. Cause traditionally 3rd party blogs and politicians have been unbiased paragons of truth, and scientists have been money grubbing partisan hacks. And we can prove it by linking graphs we cant explain devoid of scientific context and partisan blog sites! PROOF!

All the temperature gauges are FAKED!

All those Japanese scientists are fabricating their results because they are in a conspiracy against the science denying contingent of the American right wing!

All those scientists are just doing it for money!

They put a sensor in a parking lot somewhere which means that all the sensors all over the world are now INVALID!

F**king magnets! How do they work! And I don't wanna talk to a SCIENTIST! Y'all just lyin to me, and getting me p*ssed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies