Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:39 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times

Advertisements

Minority babies outnumbered white babies being born last year. With Trump's victory, can we expect to see a sudden rise in the white birth rate over the next several years? Trump has brought a new level of optimism and hopefulness which his supporters say the country has been missing ever since Reagan. Will Trump's economic successes over the next few years lead to a boom in the white birth rate which declined during the economic hardships of Obama's Great Recession?

Old 01-18-2017, 01:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Minority babies outnumbered white babies being born last year. With Trump's victory, can we expect to see a sudden rise in the white birth rate over the next several years? Trump has brought a new level of optimism and hopefulness which his supporters say the country has been missing ever since Reagan. Will Trump's economic successes over the next few years lead to a boom in the white birth rate which saw a decline during Obama's Great Recession?
Depends... are all these people gonna lose their birth control coverage?

Because, minority families have long outpaced white families in terms of total births per family.

Which is kinda cool because I suspect a group of them will overtake white births entirely and we shall be a white minority. And, that is fine by me.

Mostly because I am female, used to being treated like a minority because I'm not male, and because I know that white males who are talented and play well with others won't be held back.

Just backward white nationalists. Yay, America!

Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Minority babies outnumbered white babies being born last year. With Trump's victory, can we expect to see a sudden rise in the white birth rate over the next several years? Trump has brought a new level of optimism and hopefulness which his supporters say the country has been missing ever since Reagan. Will Trump's economic successes over the next few years lead to a boom in the white birth rate which declined during the economic hardships of Obama's Great Recession?
Obama's Great Recession? Oh, please. You're going to have to get more sophisticated than that.

We're all old enough on this forum to recall the economy crashed on the Bush/Cheney watch.

Obama is handing off the longest period of economic and job growth in a long, long time. If Trump is half as wonderful as he thinks he is, we all ought to rolling in the dough before long.

Though Trump's supporters are plenty optimistic, perhaps overly so, the other 70% are shall we say, cautiously optimistic.

If access to birth control and abortions becomes more difficult, we are likely to see more babies born to low-income women of all colors.

But I don't see middle or upper income women of any color having more babies because their income goes up a few thousand thousand dollars. I doubt the birthrate will go up much at all in this group until our economy is such that a single income can support a family with a stay-at-home spouse.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Obama's Great Recession? Oh, please. You're going to have to get more sophisticated than that.

We're all old enough on this forum to recall the economy crashed on the Bush/Cheney watch.

Obama is handing off the longest period of economic and job growth in a long, long time. If Trump is half as wonderful as he thinks he is, we all ought to rolling in the dough before long.

Though Trump's supporters are plenty optimistic, perhaps overly so, the other 70% are shall we say, cautiously optimistic.

If access to birth control and abortions becomes more difficult, we are likely to see more babies born to low-income women of all colors.

But I don't see middle or upper income women of any color having more babies because their income goes up a few thousand thousand dollars. I doubt the birthrate will go up much at all in this group until our economy is such that a single income can support a family with a stay-at-home spouse.
I know woman who make $60,000 and above, and they surely are not thinking about having children married or not married. These women did not see a recession for themselves during the OBAMA years. Most of them just turned 30.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
No, I don't. LARC is highly effective and rising in popularity among women of child-bearing age. I don't see the birth rate changing much.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Well this is a pretty ludicrous premise from the get go.

But let's go back and do a bit of a more factual analysis:
1. educated women from all ethnic groups tend to have fewer kids
2. educated women tend to wait longer to have kids
3. more women of child-bearing age are choosing not to have all kids (of all ethnicities)
4. wealth and income have a negative correlation with child birth - so the more money a household has, the less kids they have

So if Trump "fixes" the economy, more women will have jobs, jobs will be higher paying and more people with have more education (which is the current trend anyway) so basically nope. White people won't be having more kids out of the blue.

Besides the fact all trends in this country are showing lower birth rates and declining rates of motherhood, the birth rate are much higher with immigrants than "native born" americans so the people having kids the most won't be allowed in anyway if Trump has his way.

I expect the population growth rate to decline actually!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I know woman who make $60,000 and above, and they surely are not thinking about having children married or not married. These women did not see a recession for themselves during the OBAMA years. Most of them just turned 30.
The women I know either don't plan to have children at all, or want only one, possibly two.

The whole daycare/nanny business is just too difficult to juggle for very long.

If you live close to the poverty line, you may not see the difference financially in having four or so kids, but if you are sending kids to college, graduate school, paying for weddings. Yowza!

In Japan, more people are dying than having children and 25% of the population is over 65.

In the U.S.

Fewer Women Are Having Babies Than Ever Before - The Atlantic

Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well this is a pretty ludicrous premise from the get go.

But let's go back and do a bit of a more factual analysis:
1. educated women from all ethnic groups tend to have fewer kids
2. educated women tend to wait longer to have kids
3. more women of child-bearing age are choosing not to have all kids (of all ethnicities)
4. wealth and income have a negative correlation with child birth - so the more money a household has, the less kids they have

So if Trump "fixes" the economy, more women will have jobs, jobs will be higher paying and more people with have more education (which is the current trend anyway) so basically nope. White people won't be having more kids out of the blue.

Besides the fact all trends in this country are showing lower birth rates and declining rates of motherhood, the birth rate are much higher with immigrants than "native born" americans so the people having kids the most won't be allowed in anyway if Trump has his way.

I expect the population growth rate to decline actually!
Actually, the most ludicrous idea is that anyone - especially women - thinks about Trump when they're thinking about getting it on with someone.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Yesterday, I heard on NPR that the number of abortions is down because the number of women getting pregnant has decreased. We'll have to see if that holds now that the ACA will shortly be repealed. If minority birth rates go up due to Planned Parenthood being defunded, I'm sure those Republicans will be more than willing to pay for any and all costs from these "little bundles" from GEEZUS!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
The loyal Trump supporters that are giddy about Trump are past child bearing age; many are grandparents or great-grandparents.

If people start losing health insurance and their kids that are <26 get kicked off their parent's health insurance plan, we might see the divorce rate increase.

Death rates will likely increase too - due to uninsured not getting proper healthcare.

Some people will delay having babies because they don't have health insurance.

If Medicare is turned into a voucher system, death rates will rise for elderly at an alarming rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies