Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So only people who believe in a border wall are allowed to build privacy fences around personal property?

Not saying I agree/disagree with the border wall here as I actually have very mixed thoughts about it, but I also don't see the equivalency of the two things.

Anyone who has notoriety is a target for psycho celebrity worshipers who just want to poke around your yard and stare into your windows, take pictures of you, your children, or use your celebrity status to do something nutso to garner their own 15 minutes of fame.
he's building a wall, not a 'privacy fence'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
People are free to build walls around property they own (subject to local building codes) with their $$$. To claim hypocrisy here someone had better determine that NO Trump owned properties are walled.

If we're working with the premise the border land is owned by all Americans, in order to make a fair comparison, building of the wall should be decided by the vote of its owners. Zuckerberg is 'guilty' of doing what he wants with property he owns, nothing else despite what his detractors may say.
I believe this country just had a vote.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So only people who believe in a border wall are allowed to build privacy fences around personal property?

Not saying I agree/disagree with the border wall here as I actually have very mixed thoughts about it, but I also don't see the equivalency of the two things.

Anyone who has notoriety is a target for psycho celebrity worshipers who just want to poke around your yard and stare into your windows, take pictures of you, your children, or use your celebrity status to do something nutso to garner their own 15 minutes of fame.

And any country that has a high standard of living is a target for illegal migrants. Can you see the equivalency now?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
People are free to build walls around property they own (subject to local building codes) with their $$$. To claim hypocrisy here someone had better determine that NO Trump owned properties are walled.

If we're working with the premise the border land is owned by all Americans, in order to make a fair comparison, building of the wall should be decided by the vote of its owners. Zuckerberg is 'guilty' of doing what he wants with property he owns, nothing else despite what his detractors may say.
So, you believe Zuckerberg opposes the wall due to private property rights? Is that what you really believe? If so, why would he have been suing people in Hawaii in order to force them to sell their property?

I think it's pretty clear that Zuckerberg doesn't want a border wall because, in his mind, we dont have the right to keep others out. In this case it's hypocrisy.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, Mark Zuckerberg, who loves to speak about how bad a border wall is, has been putting up a six foot wall around his newly purchased property in Hawaii.

Wow, a rich elitist wall hypocrite, imagine that.
Perhaps he owns pets or horses? Give him the benefit of the doubt, jeesh

Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Perhaps he owns pets or horses? Give him the benefit of the doubt, jeesh
Good point.

We need to build a border wall to keep American coyotes from wandering into Mexico.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
He gave up on using lawyers to force people to sell him more land, but he still owns 100 acres he bought three years ago.

Unless his privacy wall has unlocked gates that allow people in, he's still using it to keep people out.

He doesn't want people looking in his windows, and I don't want to pay for services for illegals. Is his desire any better than mine?
I don't want illegals in

my schools
ER
hood
work place
freeways

If the only way this happens is more enforcement, so be it.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:06 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't want illegals in

my schools
ER
hood
work place
freeways

If the only way this happens is more enforcement, so be it.
Trump tanking Mexicos economy will only spur more migration.

You got screwed lol.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Good point.

We need to build a border wall to keep American coyotes from wandering into Mexico.
Ha ha ha, not

You really don't see the point I'm making, or that there is a difference between someone's yard and an international border, or that he is building his property fence with his own money rather than the taxpayers?

Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ha ha ha, not

You really don't see the point I'm making, or that there is a difference between someone's yard and an international border, or that he is building his property fence with his own money rather than the taxpayers?
He built his wall to keep unwelcome people out.

He opposes the US building a wall to keep unwelcome people out.

Hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies