Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:58 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Just when you think you've heard it all.

So I open a thread on how Rick Perry is slated to be the steward of our vast national security complex "dedicated to developing, maintaining, refurbishing and safely keep the nation's nuclear stockpile; combatting nuclear proliferation and maintaining and rebuilding nuclear production facilities" as well as national labs, widely "considered the crown jewels of government science" and what do I find? A string of cheap political pot shots. And not overly clever ones at that.

Now I realize Rick Perry doesn't have a clue. I've seen him on Dancing With the Stars and watched the debate where he stated he wanted to close down this agency that provides oversight of our nuclear arsenal.

But to be fair, he likely wasn't aware of the DOE's mission and responsibilities when he advocated closing it down.

NYT reports that when accepting the nomination to be Energy Secretary, he believed he was "taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry."

Words fail here, so I'll move along.

Even if you are posting from some other part of the world. Say, for example, a part that is trying to destabilize the U.S. over social media. You can't honestly believe that having this cheerleader with an Ag degree in charge of keeping us from having a nuclear mishap is in the best interest of anybody on the planet.

Even if you're eagerly anticipating the Rapture, do you want to go this way?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-19-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

So I open a thread on how Rick Perry is slated to be the steward of our vast national security complex "dedicated to developing, maintaining, refurbishing and safely keep the nation's nuclear stockpile; combatting nuclear proliferation and maintaining and rebuilding nuclear production facilities" as well as national labs, widely "considered the crown jewels of government science" and what do I find? A string of cheap political pot shots. And not overly clever ones at that.

Now I realize Rick Perry doesn't have a clue. I've seen him on Dancing With the Stars and watched the debate where he stated he wanted to close down this agency that provides oversight of our nuclear arsenal.

But to be fair, he likely wasn't aware of the DOE's mission and responsibilities when he advocated closing it down.

NYT reports that when accepting the nomination to be Energy Secretary, he believed he was "taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry."

Even if you are posting from some other part of the world. Say, for example, a part that is trying to destabilize the U.S. over social media. You can't honestly believe that having this cheerleader with an Ag degree in charge of keeping us from having a nuclear mishap is in the best interest of anybody on the planet?

"So I open a thread on how Rick Perry is slated.....and what do I find? A string of cheap political pot shots."

And what do you call these, High PRAISE?

" Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University."

"Really makes ya sleep comfortably at night, with trump's pick at the helm of all this, doesn't it?"

"Goes along with the GOP plan to allow the Koch brothers to run the country.

If you are going to complain about "political cheap shots" DO NOTT POST THEM YOURSELF. Cheesh!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
As to to getting a dig in at Obama for going along with spending $1 trillion over the next 30 years to upgrade our nuclear facilities.

If Ernest J. Moniz (former chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and director of the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science), and Steven Chu (a physicist who won a Nobel Prize) say we need to spend $1 trillion over the next 30 years to keep our nuclear arsenal safe, I say that's a good investment.

After all, the "wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost U.S. taxpayers nearly $5 trillion so far, and that total could rise even higher in the years to come..."

Report: Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost almost $5 trillion so far

If we can afford $5 trillion on pointless wars, I say $1 trillion over the next 30 years to keep our nuclear arsenal safe is money well spent.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:

Even if you are posting from some other part of the world. Say, for example, a part that is trying to destabilize the U.S. over social media. You can't honestly believe that having this cheerleader with an Ag degree in charge of keeping us from having a nuclear mishap is in the best interest of anybody on the planet?

I don't see how anyone can be satisfied with this choice, he really didn't know what his responsibilities were and that is the fault of not only him but his handlers. The fact that the 2 people preceding him had physics PhDs should have made him ask some questions particularly since Moniz was directly involved in the Iran nuclear deal. Now why would we need physics PhD's to promote oil and gas, does that make any sense at all, and why we would even be promoting that to the world is entirely another question.

Congress should demand minimum standards for these positions, this one reminds me putting Michael Brown in charge of FEMA when his prior experience was training Arabian Horses.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Goes along with the GOP plan to allow the Koch brothers to run the country.

The Koch brothers hate Trump. Guess again.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
As to to getting a dig in at Obama for going along with spending $1 trillion over the next 30 years to upgrade our nuclear facilities.

If Ernest J. Moniz (former chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and director of the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science), and Steven Chu (a physicist who won a Nobel Prize) say we need to spend $1 trillion over the next 30 years to keep our nuclear arsenal safe, I say that's a good investment.

After all, the "wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost U.S. taxpayers nearly $5 trillion so far, and that total could rise even higher in the years to come..."

Report: Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost almost $5 trillion so far

If we can afford $5 trillion on pointless wars, I say $1 trillion over the next 30 years to keep our nuclear arsenal safe is money well spent.
We can't afford trillions on any of the pointless wars. 15 years is far more than enough.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
And "You conserves" ought to focus on the issue rather than obfuscation and misdirection.

Sorry that you may have look up some of those words.
lol

It would be better to look down and not step in it along with the rest of the crap the left pulls out of its collective a**.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
lol

It would be better to look down and not step in it along with the rest of the crap the left pulls out of its collective a**.
Perry did make himself look ignorant here BUT the solution is to not ***** when the other guy looks ignorant, the solution is to hold your guy accountable when they do ignorant things.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Could be worse. He could put an unemployed housewife with no management, executive or diplomatic experience in charge of the State Department. We saw how that turned out.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-19-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$1 Trillion for nuclear weapons. $1 trillion while people are still going without health care. That is the basis of the issue. It's why Trump is in a position to appoint Perry (who I never did like in any office).

Obama went back on promise after promise after promise and very few held him accountable for those actions. Those like myself who see this as everything that is wrong with politics refused to vote to see another term of this.

Hillary lost and Trump won. Now he makes his picks. Not only do elections have consequences, so do actions or lack thereof.
And hopefully the new energy secretary doesn't get hoodwinked by Iran like the current one did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies