Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:38 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,790,721 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d25_story.html

"In a potentially controversial choice, Trump intends to nominate billionaire philanthropist Betsy DeVos for education secretary, people familiar with the selection said, turning to a conservative activist who has forcefully pushed for private school voucher programs. Her nomination is expected to face strong opposition from public school advocates, who oppose her efforts to funnel taxpayer dollars from public to private and religious schools."

If that first statement isn't an understatement I've never heard one. The NEA will pull out all the stops to keep control of the Education Department. Nothing is off the table. From the Geneva Convention to Robert's Rules, nothing will restrain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 12:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
I'm sure many on the left will vehemently decry the idea of choice when it comes to education just as they do when choice is suggested for so many other things. She will be set upon.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
DeVos is the sister of Erik Prince. Just pointing that out.

It is funny to see all these people who did nothing but bash Trump, racing to NY to kiss his ring. A good thing, since he'll need all the help he can get.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm sure many on the left will vehemently decry the idea of choice when it comes to education just as they do when choice is suggested for so many other things. She will be set upon.
I'm not on the left but I am no fan because:
Quote:
The report analyzed student test data from the 2003-04 to 2012-13 school years, comparing students who used vouchers to “closely matched peers” who remained in voucher-eligible public schools.

“Those students, on average, who move to private schools under the EdChoice program tend to perform considerably worse than observationally similar students who remained in public schools,” the report found.
The study was done by a pro-voucher think tank. Ouch.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:27 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Get ready to see your local public schools get more bent over than they already probably are. We've seen how it's worked in Wisconsin...Milwaukee was the testing ground for vouchers over 25 years ago. The fact is that it hasn't led to better educational outcomes, but Republicans in Wisconsin have been hell bent on defunding public education and giving taxpayer dollars to voucher schools (which can be religious schools, or for-profit entities operated by out of state interests).

A couple fun kickers about voucher schools: They aren't required to take all students like public schools are, for example, they don't have to take special needs students. They also aren't held to the same standards as public schools. We have seen voucher schools literally close without notice, leaving parents to scramble to place their kids.

If you think that's great for America, that shows where your values are.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
I'm not anti-charter schools. I'm just anti- people being allowed to funnel tax dollars into them.

Especially religious ones.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not anti-charter schools. I'm just anti- people being allowed to funnel tax dollars into them.

Especially religious ones.
Yes. Imagine how Trump supporters will feel when they find out that it could be Muslim schools getting funded by their tax dollars?

Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,009 times
Vouchers, another benefit that will mostly go to wealthier (read:coastal educated) Americans at the expense of worsening the public system for the rest. Just like the infrastructure program and the health plan.

The silver lining is Trump's rural voter can continue it's self-immolation. In the meantime, please find ways to contribute to programs that help local urban and suburban disadvantaged near you.

Michigan's governor thinks literacy isn't a right, and Trump is putting a Michigan native in charge of the Department of Education.

Pattern forming in 3... 2... 1...

Trump talks about no more politics or corruption, then all of his picks are just incredibly blatant cronyism. He's just handing out jobs to everyone who was nice to him as a pat on the head instead of actually, you know, thinking about who's good for what.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:24 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
This kind of policy coming from the same people who put up some selective specialty school to try to prove that Texas schools don't completely suck as a whole.

Bottom line is this: the philosophy of the hard right is that anything the government does for the public good outside of blowing other people up and beating up BLM protesters is overstepping it's role. Their utopia is 1910, pre new deal, pre universal public education. Also, teachers are notorious Democratic party supporters, so they need to be destroyed as well.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:25 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
The "draining" continues.

Now he puts a die-hard enemy of public K-12 in charge of education, who for decades have been using their immense wealth to crush opportunities for working class folks.

The war on the working class is about to begin. Gutting the public school system, elimination of overtime pay and elites pushing to hand over SS to Wall Street are now in charge of government. Meanwhile, Trump is busy getting rich using his new government power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies